Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If i study Yeats and Boland, will i be safe?

Options
  • 09-05-2010 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

No because it is 2/8 you are studying and 4 come up. 5 or more is being safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

unknown13 wrote: »
    No because it is 2/8 you are studying and 4 come up. 5 or more is being safe.

IMO 4 is safe enough

Unless youre extremely unlucky

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I would study at least 5. We did 6 (with the exception of Elliot and Keats). Do you think I would be safe to leave Walcott out (that would leave me with 5 poets - which is fine but I wouldn't be happy to see Walcott on the paper, knowing that I skipped him).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Rich or Boland will definitely be on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Rich or Boland will definitely be on

Have you seen the paper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I'm definitely studying 5. Imagine on the day if you open the paper and see that the poets you have studied arn't there :O That's a good chunk of marks gone down the drain. You could be lucky and the two poets could come up but I wouldn't take the chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

unknown13 wrote: »
    Have you seen the paper.
    The only female poets on the course :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

The only female poets on the course :rolleyes:

It's not set in stone that a female poet has to come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

im doing 3 or 4, yeats boland eliot and maybe kavangh

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

I'm doing four... Kavanagh boland rich and YEats... I have a longley essay too but if he comes up I'm not writing about him simple because I only wrote about 3 poems in my essay and only got 72 for it... No idea why though because I hear u can write about 3 poems really well and get away with it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

fufureida wrote: »
    No idea why though because I hear u can write about 3 poems really well and get away with it?

While that's technically true, it's very difficult to have good coherence and clarity of purpose in answering the question with only 3 poems. Even the very top students in English would have difficulty gaining near full marks with only 3 poems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I only wrote about two poems last year and got full marks in that question, personally in an exam situation I don't feel I can deal properly with more than three poems so that's generally what I stick with.

As far as poets go, I've covered Boland, Yeats, Kavanagh and we're going to do Longley I think (didn't do him last year) and Rich (did her last year though.) Five and you're guaranteed one will come up, anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

Im going to do Yeats Boland and Kavanagh, and try look over Eliot too. Yeats Boland and Kavanagh are the three front runners so one is bound to come up :)

With regards to the poetry question, I disagree, I think 3 or 4 is plenty, and if you're doing The Great Hunger or Love Song Of J. Alfred Prufrock you could get away with two because they're so long. 3 poems at 2 pages each is plenty, dont want to go getting docked marks for being too lengthy :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭CantStandMeNow

aine92 wrote: »
    Im going to do Yeats Boland and Kavanagh, and try look over Eliot too. Yeats Boland and Kavanagh are the three front runners so one is bound to come up :)

With regards to the poetry question, I disagree, I think 3 or 4 is plenty, and if you're doing The Great Hunger or Love Song Of J. Alfred Prufrock you could get away with two because they're so long. 3 poems at 2 pages each is plenty, dont want to go getting docked marks for being too lengthy :rolleyes:

6 pages is plenty? Thats on the extremly high side.. it would just be bad time management to spend so long on the question that's worth the least marks apart from the unseen.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

6 pages is plenty? Thats on the extremly high side.. it would just be bad time management to spend so long on the question that's worth the least marks apart from the unseen.

You have 45 minutes to spend on it depending on how long you spend reading over the paper at the end, we've been preparing this obviously since 5th year and most of my class have the question done in 40 minutes? I dont see how thats bad time management, its preparation.

You have 45 minutes to spend on it depending on how long you spend reading over the paper at the end, we've been preparing this obviously since 5th year and most of my class have the question done in 40 minutes? I dont see how thats bad time management, its preparation.
    You can write 6 pages in 40 mins? I can get like 4-5 max, and I thought that was pretty good :|

Are you absolutely sure you can fire out 6 pages in 45 minutes without using notes? I'm typing my answers and can barely do that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Don't forget the wordcount. I write between 12-15 words a line, which can be 1.5-2 times more than others. I usually write bout 3 and a half pages max, depending, It's quality not quantity.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Rich1691

I'm doing Yeats, Kavanagh, Boland and Longley and I'd usually write around 4 to 4.5 pages for my answer, I would never manage 6 without losing time on something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

Its a little scary to see all of you studying 4 poets! I'm studying 2, taking a risk i know but its a calculated risk ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Rich1691

Its a little scary to see all of you studying 4 poets! I'm studying 2, taking a risk i know but its a calculated risk ;)

Well I'm studying four but I would be a lot stronger at two of the poets but if all comes to all I could produce an answer for the other two

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

While that's technically true, it's very difficult to have good coherence and clarity of purpose in answering the question with only 3 poems. Even the very top students in English would have difficulty gaining near full marks with only 3 poems

Yeah apparently she said my coherence wasn't good even though unanswered the q like i didn't go off topic... Hmmm it was 6 pages long three poems :/

oh n I try to keep everything 6 pages to ensure I can produce at least four pages on the day. It works better for me that way.

Does anyone have a typed yeAtss essay they would like to share with me? Plz i'm a desperate repeat..:(

Dude, you realise your chances of one of those 2 poets coming up is 1/4 right? So there's a 3/4 chance you're going to be stuck with nothing to say for the poetry question.

EDIT:
    fufureida wrote: »
    Does anyone have a typed yeAtss essay they would like to share with me? Plz i'm a desperate repeat..:(

If you can wait a week or two I'll have one done...

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭FredBaby!

You could study two really well, if your positive that they are going to come up and then do another two in less detail. At least you'll be able to attempt them if you're seriously stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

Dude, you realise your chances of one of those 2 poets coming up is 1/4 right? So there's a 3/4 chance you're going to be stuck with nothing to say for the poetry question.

Well if he is studying the predicted poets, I'd say it would be a much lower chance he couldn't write anything. Name a year on this course where a woman poet hasn't come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

While it is hard, you can get away with only doing 3 poems. For example, if you're doing an essay on Eliot and you include "Prufock" in your 3 poems you should be fine. Incidentally, I'd bet on Eliot coming up this year.

Cian92 wrote: »

Well if he is studying the predicted poets, I'd say it would be a much lower chance he couldn't write anything. Name a year on this course where a woman poet hasn't come up.

Predictions don't mean anything. They're just that, predictions.
    As I said earlier on, it is not set in stone that a female poet has to come up. This could be the year where one doesn't, how the hell do you know? You haven't seen the paper. Just because it hasn't happened before doesn't mean it won't this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

I'm studying 3 - Boland, Rich and Yeats. It's ridiculous that some of ye are doing six poets, it's only 50 marks and not worth all the effort. I see it as being much more economical putting more effort into the comparison question or the composition on paper one, tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭CantStandMeNow

Fair enough if you can write that fast, but in fairness the average student can't answer a question coherently and without simply reeming of notes or a pre-learned answer by writing 6 pages in 45 minutes. At that rate of writing you'd be at about nine pages for the comparitive and nearly eleven for the essay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

Ya, I better study another poet then! I'd be happy with three. Studying 3 "Predicted" poets is safe IMO - Don't eat me munkeymanmatt! Of course predictions are just predictions but I'd be willing to trust them, I mean one of the three strongest tipped ones is bound to come up, even if its not set in stone... right!? :pac:

Advertisement