Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem - Computer Beeping & Won't Switch On!

• 09-05-2010 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭

Lately, I've been having a problem where my PC won't switch on. It's a Dell Dimension 3100 Desktop PC and when I switch it on, the fan whirrs on, the lights come on the "on" switch, but nothing loads up on the monitor (which works fine - i've tested) and the computer starts beeping.

i looked up the problem elsewhere, but all of the solutions seem to be about opening the case and emptying dust out. i've done this several times and it still won't switch on.

it worked randomly again for about 5 days last week, but it's gone again now.

HELP!!!

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Different beeps mean different errors.

Beep Code: Description of Problem:
    No Beeps Short, No power, Bad CPU/MB, Loose Peripherals
    One Beep Everything is normal and Computer POSTed fine
    Two Beeps POST/CMOS Error
    One Long Beep, One Short Beep Motherboard Problem
    One Long Beep, Two Short Beeps Video Problem
    One Long Beep, Three Short Beeps Video Problem
    Three Long Beeps Keyboard Error
    Repeated Long Beeps Memory Error
    Continuous Hi-Lo Beeps CPU Overheating

LINK HERE

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭v.e.r.b.a.l

um, i dunno. seems to make about 6 or 7 beeps?? any idea what i should do? trying to save myself from bringing it into the savages in pc world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Probably the RAM...

Take one stick out and see if it'll boot. Or try different RAM if you have some around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

Beep codes for your PC here:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim3100/en/sm/adtshoot.htm#wp1124478

Also shows the diagnostic lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭v.e.r.b.a.l

thanks for the help!

glad to say that the computer's switched back on now. I took it apart again and removed the RAM, then reinserted it again. Think a particle of dust was causing the issue - hope i never hear that haunting beeping again!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 macnerdy

damned volcano in Iceland:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 babelfish

this is macnerdy here.I have been banned for some reason.
    Sounds like a tech fault. As origional poster has said it prob ram related.
    But.........a recent windows update screws stuff up if you have zonealarm loaded due to the presence of windows defender.
    just pm me if you have more info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭mihau

Lately, I've been having a problem where my PC won't switch on. It's a Dell Dimension 3100 Desktop PC and when I switch it on, the fan whirrs on, the lights come on the "on" switch, but nothing loads up on the monitor (which works fine - i've tested) and the computer starts beeping.

i looked up the problem elsewhere, but all of the solutions seem to be about opening the case and emptying dust out. i've done this several times and it still won't switch on.

it worked randomly again for about 5 days last week, but it's gone again now.

HELP!!!

:confused:

it is the video card that is faulty or the jumper from the bios.

Advertisement