Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brake pad rubbing off front disc

• 09-05-2010 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

I'm looking for some maintainance help. The front brake disc is rubbing off the brake pad. Not all the time, just at a certain point in the revolution so clearly the disc is slightly bent.
    Apart from a new disc, what other solutions are there? I was thinking of using pliars to bend the disc back into shape, or else loosening the brake pads so they are further from the disc. Good/bad ideas?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Best option is as you've said, a new rotor. You can get away with bending the existing rotor though. Get either two pliers or two adjustable wrenches and use the two together to bend it back straight. Using just one can warp the rotor even worse if it's in a bad state.

Loosening the brake pads isn't great as you'll get jerky braking if the rotor is warped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

A screwdriver as a lever, usually works to pull it back into shape, but its all to easy to really make things alot worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭zil

Is it badly buckled? If it's just got a slight bend on it try loosening the brake mount, spinning the wheel and tapping the mount till it finds a good position. As long as its not a real bad buckle you should be able to put the mount in a position that stops it rubbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Milan Cobian

Thanks for the tips. It's only very slightly out of true so I'll try the bending option. Worst case I have to get a new one anyway.

Advertisement