Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Chicken Wings?

Options
  • 09-05-2010 4:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭

After a visit yesterday to Elephant & Castle, I was a bit disappointed with the standard of the wings. I do hope it was just a one off but it was mentioned on the other thread that the place is going downhill with the wings and surviving on their reputation.

Is there anywhere else in Dublin to go to for decent wings?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭iMac Hunt

Tribeca in Ranelagh do amazing chicken wings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

TriBeCa gets my vote, too. Whenever I have wings there I look like a caveman savage with sauce all over my face and bones strewn around me! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I don't even like chicken wings that much, but there's been so much talk of them on here recently that I have the biggest craving in the world for them now!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Iolar Iontach

Not in Dublin, but La Bucca in Ashbourne does excellent wings. On Monday to Wednesday a pint of Erdinger and a bowl of wings is a tenner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Dublin Chick

Tribeca in Ranelagh is the BEST I love love love the wings there. IMO far better than Elephant & Castle :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

I've had some wings in Tribeca a few weeks ago. It's basically the same as the wings in Elephant & Castle which is deep fried wings tossed in tons of frank's hot sauce.

It's better than E&C's but that's not saying much. It's just not deep fried until the wings are leathery and rock hard like in E&C. The wings in E&C, Luigi Malones, Tribeca etc all just tastes like Frank's hot sauce and they are all way over rated in my opinion.

I've had a bit of a wingfest recently...

Went to TriBeCa last week... solid as ever. Quality wings.

Eddie Rockets... not great and and miserly with the hot sauce. From watching them make them the wings are factory deep-fried and deep frozen and then refried to thaw them out. I didn't catch it myself, but someone I was with said they saw that their burgers come out of a ring-pull can!

E&C... was there about a month ago. Not the best. Miserably mean with the hot sauce. I should also add that the Erdinger I ordered with them turned out to be a 330ml bottle and was served in a lemonade glass. I was less than impressed.

Yellow House, Rathfarnham... very small wings, but not because they were overcooked and shrivelled up as they were still juicy. They were just "small". They were, however, quite good.

I was in another place and was served "spicy" wings in disgusting sweet chilli sauce. They were absolutely vile.

I'm actually fed up with trying out wings in different places at this stage. I'll stick to TriBeCa. Or make my own.

The blue cheese dip (even in TriBeCa) was a disappointment.

CodeMonkey wrote: »
    The wings in E&C, Luigi Malones, Tribeca etc all just tastes like Frank's hot sauce and they are all way over rated in my opinion.

Yes, but many of us are Frank's cravers. That vinegary hotness is what it's all about. You do not understand the Cult of Frank's. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nipps

Papa Rhodes, in ballycanoe, close to gorey in co. wex. class chicken wings, defo woeth the trip down. and while your there get the french fries which are also amazing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Yes, but many of us are Frank's cravers. That vinegary hotness is what it's all about. You do not understand the Cult of Frank's. :D
    Well I like it too in small amounts. Too much vinegary wings in the portions you get in these places plus they charge too much for it. I have a bottle of Frank's hot sauce in my kitchen too and can make it myself.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Sean Bateman

The Counter in Dundrum...awesome wings

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dandanmur

El Paso/Waterside, The Summitt Inn and O'Connells (Pier House) all in Howth. Scotch Bonnett in Malahide do pretty decent ones too. El Paso beats them all hands down though !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Buffalo 19 on Lower Rathmines Rd is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

god i love franks

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭La Haine

How come nobody ever mentions Eddie Rocket's cajun sauce/chicken wings??
    Beats anybody else's as far as I'm concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I've been told the chicken wings in the Harbour Master IFSC are great. Haven't had a chance to try them myself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Eddie Rockets... not great and and miserly with the hot sauce. From watching them make them the wings are factory deep-fried and deep frozen and then refried to thaw them out. I didn't catch it myself, but someone I was with said they saw that their burgers come out of a ring-pull can!

he did. Ive had them too, cannot vouch for them being frozen but i did think they were sub par.
    nice enough wings, for eddie rockets, but way below what they should be to be on a 'best wings' list.
    Id be ordering them if i go to eddies again, but i wouldn't go to eddies if what i was craving was wings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Los Pollos do a fine bit of chicken

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

I like the wings in the harbour master, not as sharp as the e+c wings, but a bit more spice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Buffalo 19 in rathmines were pretty decent. Tried the E&C recently and although the wings were nice and crispy the hot sauce was seriously lacking. And what sauce there was was not hot at all. Eddies wings are alright after a feed of drink but wouldnt even consider them to be anywhere near the best.
    I find the most consistent to be the porterhouse north although their suicide sauce is more tomato based with a little franks and jalapeños. Portions are big too. Maybe next time Im in ill ask can they make the sauce even hotter. Porterhouse nassau street is a tourist trap and food is not as good as P/North.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I take the wings in the Harbourmaster every now and again, they're grand but can be hit and miss, if they're supposed to be in the top 5 in Dublin then I wouldn't be going out of my way to try other places. Apart from Tribeca, which are supposed to be decent. Elephant & Castle are on my list, if only to confirm what people say, that they certainly aren't a million miles from something you can achieve yourself with a bit of patience and a bottle of Franks

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

Bradys in Terenure wings are savage.
    Honourable mention to The Outback on Parnell St.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭FrogMarch

I've been told the chicken wings in the Harbour Master IFSC are great. Haven't had a chance to try them myself

Yeah, they're pretty good. The same as Elephant & Castle really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

dandanmur wrote: »
    Scotch Bonnett in Malahide do pretty decent ones too.

They do indeed, and they use a different sauce to the usual Franks, nice for the variety. However they usually arrive cold, as the service in that place is shocking. I've given it about 3 last chances, but will definitely not be going back. It's a shame. The food is lovely, but the service is awful.

Crackbird does some nice spicy wings too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

The Venue in Strandhill in Sligo.

For when you absolutely positively have to have the tastiest wings ever!! The sauce is a secret home made recipe, no orange vinegar crap from a bottle!!

I would eat them of a tramps vest!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

frag420 wrote: »
    orange vinegar crap from a bottle!!

sywm4.jpg

Don't you ever say bad things about franks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

dandanmur wrote: »
    El Paso/Waterside, The Summitt Inn and O'Connells (Pier House) all in Howth. Scotch Bonnett in Malahide do pretty decent ones too. El Paso beats them all hands down though !

I'd second O'Connells , quality wings and fish pie for mains then !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Had amazing chicken wings last night in The Goat-big portion too, covered in Louisiana style sauce.
    I personally couldn't finish them all; wanted to leave room for mains, but generous serving for only €8.
    Can vouch for the ribs too, really succulent and covered in a smoky BBQ sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭user1842

Canal Bank Cafe do great wings too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭La Haine

Just discovered today that Dunnes are selling Island Foods Cajun Sauce - they're the crowd that supply Eddie Rockets for their wings!
    :0)

Advertisement