Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vandalism in St.Michael's graveyard,Mahon

Options
  • 09-05-2010 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

hi all,
    Was visiting my mother's grave today. One of the pots we have on her grave has been broken in two. The pots are very heavy and big. There was a massive rock sitting next to the pot. We think somebody smashed the pot with the rock or else dropped the pot from a height. Is it common for this to happen? I have heard of it before but not that often. Am shocked to say the least.

There is a grave across the way that looks like it has been damaged too. There was a heart shaped plaque stuck onto a base stone. The plaque isn't stuck on to it any more. It's lying on the ground. A ceramic statue has been smashed too.

A few weeks ago a headstone was lying on the grass. There was no headstone missing from the line of graves nearest to it, but there was a long line on the ground next to it. It looked like the headstone had been dragged.
    I want to report this to whoever is in charge of the graveyard. I am going to ask the workers there tomorrow do they know what happened, maybe they damaged it by mistake, I doubt it. I presume City Hall would have someone there in charge of graveyards? What else can I do? I doubt that anything will be done to stop them but I can't sit back and do nothing while those pr**ks are vandalising my mother's resting place and other graves no doubt.

any advice for me?
    thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

A lot of graveyard tending has been scaled back, I have to go cut the grass on my Dad's plot every other month now. I'd say less frequent staff = more frequent scumbaggery in the graveyards.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 rebelpixie

I thought that alright. We asked the workers there a while back could they level the grave for us. They were very busy with burials so we did it ourselves. I'm not blaming them at all, they do a great job with very little manpower. That's 3 incidents of vandalism I have seen in as many weeks, and that's just on my mother's path. With the way things are going there, they will ruin it. It's a disgrace. Somebody cut the grass during the week. It wasn't anyone from our family and we visited last Sunday so it must have been this week. Maybe whoever cut the grass damaged the pot by accident. Wouldn't be as upsetting if that was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I'm not sure of the staffing arrangements in Mahon, my Dad's in Wilton (St. Finbarrs) - and they're definitely down on manpower. Fingers crossed it wasn't malicious anyway.

Awful to hear that, my Mum is buried in Mahon, must wander up there soon, overdue a visit there to be honest :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Kids from the neighbouring parks tend to hangout in the graveyard...I wouldn't presume what they get up to, but knowing them, as my sisters "friends", I wouldn't say it's much good TBH.

The Cemetary is left open at night AFAIR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Unfortunately being from the area, it does seem to be kind of hotspot for people to hang out at night, as Minidazzler said, it is left open at night from the main enterance and anybody and everybody can go in there and hearing stories from younger relations, teenagers go drinking there at night and use the graveyard as a shortcut also.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 rebelpixie

thanks for your replies. Would rather not know what else they get up to there! I can't understand what attracts people to hanging out in graveyards. Obviously it's somewhere for them to drink away from their parents, but graveyards should be respected. Another thing I don't get is people walking their dogs there! what's with that?! Fair enough if they are on a lead. But I have seen people going for an energetic walk straight through, leaving their dogs to wander around as they please. It's not a park!
    I reported it to the gardai today. More to let them know so they might patrol the area more. The garda took it very seriously and said he would pass the report onto Blackrock Garda station. He said I was right to report it. I spoke to the workers at the graveyard today and it is left open 24 hours a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭decko11

i laid my dear dad to rest their yesterday

he hasnt lived in Cork for years but wanted to be buried with his parents

the staff were friendly and the grandparents plot and headstone were in good shape (my grandfather was buried in 1973)

I do hope anti social behaviour doesnt take place there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Kids from the neighbouring parks tend to hangout in the graveyard...I wouldn't presume what they get up to, but knowing them, as my sisters "friends", I wouldn't say it's much good TBH.

The Cemetary is left open at night AFAIR.

They leave it open at night so the Gardai can get in. They used to lock the gates, local youths would just hop over the wall on the lower side.

Advertisement