Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History- Sov & Part

Options
  • 09-05-2010 4:36pm

Hello, hopefully some of you can give me some feedback here. I've covered basically all of the political section of the Sovereignty & Partition book (everything except Unionists in power in NI and the South during WW2). I want to cover one of the other sections- Economics (Cumann na nGaedheal's policies, Fianna Fail's policies, Belfast in WW2) or Culture (promoting cultural identity, RC Church & Eucharistic Congress) but not both.

My class only covered the Eucharistic congress part of the culture section, and very briefly at that. However, it is shorter than the economics section. We spent a little more time on the economics but still didn't go into too much depth.

Would I be better off learning the economic bit or culture bit? Is there one that's more likely to come up than the other or should I just do whichever is easier/shorter?

Thanks for your input.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

I think economic. The economic policy chapter is LOVELY and quite easy to remember and is predicted to come up this year.

As is the Eucharistic Congress, but I'd steer clear of that... Although it's a creible part of the course etc etc my teacher reckons most examiners see it as more 'wishy-washy' and harder to gain marks in. I wrote a really good answer (well, in my opinion :P) for it in the mocks and only got 73 for it, however I got in the nineties for other essays I didn't think were as good/didn't prepare as much for :(

Anyway, that's just my two cents!

Yeah I always found there's very little substance to the whole Eucharistic congress lark. All they ever did was say mass... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

Their is sooo much u can write on the EC along side the broader question... N actually examiners feel that the culture side is getting too ignored and I heard they want to bring if up more. All those sections u havnt covered are important and is all I am covering.. Giving me about 6 essays.

Eucharistic congress is worth doing properly especially interms of cultural identity and political significance. Don't ignore it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

Do both, but I'd suggest you focus on the economics at this stage. You can't do everything.

fufureida wrote: »
    Their is sooo much u can write on the EC along side the broader question... N actually examiners feel that the culture side is getting too ignored and I heard they want to bring if up more. All those sections u havnt covered are important and is all I am covering.. Giving me about 6 essays.

Eucharistic congress is worth doing properly especially interms of cultural identity and political significance. Don't ignore it
    Yes I agree it's important to learn the cultural aspects but tbh we've done less than half of it in class and with only a month ago I don't know how able I'll be to learn it all now. Of course every part of the course is important, but I can't learn everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭madlad88

the eucharistic congress is nice any easy , hard to write more then 2 or 3 pages on it though! i think so anyway

Yes I agree it's important to learn the cultural aspects but tbh we've done less than half of it in class and with only a month ago I don't know how able I'll be to learn it all now. Of course every part of the course is important, but I can't learn everything.

I have written 3-4 solid pages on the EC and that's after cutting stuff out.
    And Hun don't worry I have very little covered on sov and part I'm not saying I knoe loads. :P If u want I can scan the essay on the EC that is likely to come up, because it's basically all they can ask on it, and send it to u. Only ifcourse if u are willing to give mr a hand aswell! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭RocketFalls

Belfast during WWII is a fairly nice one, I think. Guess that might just be me, but the subject has lots of facets. Lots of nice, pragmatic, page-filling facets..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

I'd go with the economics. I did history last year and I found there wasn't much to the Eucharistic Congress so I left it out. Even in the book they don't dedicate much space to it, it seemed like I'd have a hard time getting over two pages out of it.

With the economics you could write til the cows come home. THere's so much they can ask about it and the policies of both parties come up regularly. All you have to do is learn the facts and then you can twist them to whatever question comes up. If it seems daunting just try split all the different economic bits up, like industry, agriculture, so on.

THere may be more in the economic section but personally I think it'd be worth it.

Does any one know where I can get sample answer for the 1916 rising? If not, can someone give me points to work on for an essay like ' how was tge 1916 rising carried out and what was it's significance ? 'thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Does any one know where I can get sample answer for the 1916 rising? If not, can someone give me points to work on for an essay like ' how was tge 1916 rising carried out and what was it's significance ? 'thanks.
    I have one on my laptop. Though my bro took it away for a week yesterday so if you want to wait until then:rolleyes:

Yeah sure that would be great. I can wait a week. But you would probably forget haha... Can you remember tge main points to make up each paragraph?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Yeah sure that would be great. I can wait a week. But you would probably forget haha... Can you remember tge main points to make up each paragraph?
    What's the actual question because I've two. First Q. What where the causes of the 1916 rising, was it a success and what were its effects? Second Q. Was the 1916 Rising a success?

The first please. :)

Advertisement