Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Research Topic

Options
  • 09-05-2010 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

Well I'm not doing the LC this year, but at the very beginning of this year my history teacher told us that she wanted to have the his research topics done and dusted before LC year so we wouldn't have to be worrying about them. I leave EVERYTHING till last minute, so of course even though she has been reminding us all year, I haven't anything done and it is due May 24th.

I'm going to try and start next week, but it's my birthday next weekend so there will be no work done then.

So tell me, how long do most people spend doing this, would I get it done or am I royally screwed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Well I'm not doing the LC this year, but at the very beginning of this year my history teacher told us that she wanted to have the his research topics done and dusted before LC year so we wouldn't have to be worrying about them. I leave EVERYTHING till last minute, so of course even though she has been reminding us all year, I haven't anything done and it is due May 24th.

I'm going to try and start next week, but it's my birthday next weekend so there will be no work done then.

So tell me, how long do most people spend doing this, would I get it done or am I royally screwed?
    Varies with everyone really! I did mine in a weekend though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭!!!

Spend a nice few days over the summer on it. Tell your teacher you're meeting with a relation who is a history teacher to help you so you're gonna wait and hand it up late. Don't rush it... Worked for me ;) :P

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

I did mine in one day and got almost full marks... Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Get your sources, this took me the longest! Flippin amazon 2 months later!

When I had them got it done in a day no problem!

Just make sure your aims are achievable and concise like just don't pick a topic like say 'The Life of Hitler' and write down 6 pages of random stuff that is so general and pointless. Try to pick something interesting for the examiner.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭orlabobs

Ok, do you know what topic you're doing? Because that is the trickiest part. But I see others said they did it in a day or a weekend, but in reality, it takes a bit of time. I agree with your teacher to get it done before lc, you've enough on your plate in lc. But what I did is I did the bulk of the work over the summer of 5th year. All I had to do in LC was to condense it into the correct amount of words and do my sources etc.
    Get a topic you like and that is relevant for the project and get started. Don't rush it, it's a easy 20% if you give it a good lash. Oh and for the love of god, do not take your information straight from Wikipedia. The examiners check the internet whilst marking and if they've found practically a replica of what you have online, well you're screwed! By all means take stuff from the net, but make it your own.
    And if you can at all, pick a lesser known topic. Like theres only i think 12 examiners for the projects and they don't want to see "Michael Collins's part in the war of independence" 20 times. Something different gets them interested and more inclined to toss out some points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

orlabobs wrote: »
    Ok, do you know what topic you're doing? Because that is the trickiest part. But I see others said they did it in a day or a weekend, but in reality, it takes a bit of time. I agree with your teacher to get it done before lc, you've enough on your plate in lc. But what I did is I did the bulk of the work over the summer of 5th year. All I had to do in LC was to condense it into the correct amount of words and do my sources etc.
    Get a topic you like and that is relevant for the project and get started. Don't rush it, it's a easy 20% if you give it a good lash. Oh and for the love of god, do not take your information straight from Wikipedia. The examiners check the internet whilst marking and if they've found practically a replica of what you have online, well you're screwed! By all means take stuff from the net, but make it your own.
    And if you can at all, pick a lesser known topic. Like theres only i think 12 examiners for the projects and they don't want to see "Michael Collins's part in the war of independence" 20 times. Something different gets them interested and more inclined to toss out some points.
    The same examiner who marks your prohect marks your written paper also:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭orlabobs

theowen wrote: »
    The same examiner who marks your prohect marks your written paper also:rolleyes:

Oh ya, now that you say that it makes sense! sorry! A history teacher in my school told me that....and I never really gave it much thought, but now thinking about it, it makes no sense! never mind

Advertisement