Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Didier Drogba

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Fantastic player. Deserves the succeed at the World Cup. I hope he does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

gavredking wrote: »
    Didier Drogba shows emotion when going for an award, doesnt get to take the 1st peno, pulled himself together and scored a hat trick in our biggest EPL win to secure the title, I couldnt care how he reacted, shows how much he wants to win.

He finished the first half looking a right arsehole, whinging, not passing to his mates, etc. etc. but credit to him, he came back out and showed us why he deserves the award.

I do think someone said something to him at half time though, and whoever they are they deserve a pat on the back because he came out looking a completely different player.

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Best striker in the Premier League by a good bit imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

If you don't like him, he'll come rape you.:)
    07drogba.533.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Can be a bit wild or moany on the pitch, but apparently he's a gent in person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

"West African fans will toast him with a beer glass called the Drogba. It's nearly twice the size of a normal mug."

Where can I get one? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Where can I get one? :pac:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7263938@N02/2438120343

edit: so yeah, apparently that beer in the pic ,Bock Solibra, is referred to as a drogba in its 1 litre form:pac:

if you're in dublin try in/around moore st, moore street mall in the african shops i guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

He looks incredibly slick in the picture

t100heroes_didier_drogba.jpg

Hope your not up to your old tricks again Randolph looking at that pic!!:D:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I love Drogba, always have, he's a magnificent centre forward. yes he can be a c*nt, but I wouldn't respect too many prem footballers as people tbh either. As a footballer he's on of the best if not the best around at what he does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

He looks incredibly slick in the picture

t100heroes_didier_drogba.jpg

Nah, he looks like Grace Jones!!!

grace-jones-living-my-life_jpg.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7263938@N02/2438120343

edit: so yeah, apparently that beer in the pic ,Bock Solibra, is referred to as a drogba in its 1 litre form:pac:

if you're in dublin try in/around moore st, moore street mall in the african shops i guess.

on second thought, maybe not:
    Bottled@hotelroom tasting with omhper & DJMonarch. Golden colour, small white head. Aroma rubber, chemicals, cardboard and some grains. Flavour is quite much the same. Rather harsh and not too pleasant.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,367 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

What is this golden boot award that apparantly Drogba won today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

It was funneh seeing the big baby with his actual baby being interviewed!!

That was his kid? I thought Chelsea had just resigned Sean Wright Phillips...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Great striker, no doubt about that. The very definition of a prick however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I detest Drogba. Detest him! His epileptic fit when Johnny Evans kicked him earlier on this season. Faking injury as he usually does against Liverpool in the Champions league, only to realise he was off the pitch so rolled back on in order to stop play.

It's not his constant diving that wrecks me head, it's the way he demands treatment as if he has just about survived an assassination attempt.

What a player though! Quality!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Well if it's any consolation to those who dislike the man, typing "drogs" into Wikipedia links to Drogheda United.

Quite rightly imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Positives - 6 foot plus, built like a tank, good in the air and strong with both feet

Negatives - a cheat, a sulker and plays like a 8 year old girl when he's sulking. No matter what he does now he will not be considered among the worlds or even the premierships top players.

To me he is - World & Premiership

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

and he would make one hell of a centre back if the striker gig hes playing ever lets him down!

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Well if it's any consolation to those who dislike the man, typing "drogs" into Wikipedia links to Drogheda United.

Quite rightly imo.

Yeah, but if you type in Didier Drogba, you get Didier Drogba's page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

awesome player.

giant child, but just a brilliant striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

In a remarkable show of charity, ferocious Chelsea striker Didier Drogba has pledged a £3million donation to build a hospital. Drogba is handing over the fee he will receive for becoming the new face of Pepsi.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1227047/EXCLUSIVE-Chelsea-striker-Didier-Drogba-pledges-3m-build-hospital-Ivory-Coast-homeland.html

That really is an extraordinary gesture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Mr Alan wrote: »

Nothing's black and white.

Giving to charity is praise worthy in the extreme, but it doesn't or shouldn't gloss over the fact that he's a bit of a fool more often than not.(I'm really toning down the language there btw :pac:). Ditto the likes of Bellamy.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

We should never have let the boy go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

flahavaj wrote: »

Giving to charity is praise worthy in the extreme, but it doesn't or shouldn't gloss over the fact that he's a bit of a fool more often than not.(I'm really toning down the language there btw :pac:). Ditto the likes of Bellamy.
    He has driven me up the wall over the years, however, i just find it really hard to dislike him after i heard that. And i love Bellamy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

You'd swear he was evil the way people go about him, he's a pantomine villan at worst.

flahavaj wrote: »

I like Bellamy's attitude on the pitch. Yeah he's a complete moaner. But he tries. He's also brilliant.

Drogba is quite brilliant too. But his antics are cringeworthy. I hate the bloke!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

wonder how long he can keep it up (no puns needed)... he is 32 afterall and this is a incredible haul of goals

he has had the season of his life in fairness and probably won't come close to it again

remember he scored MORE league goals this season than seasons 2008/9, 2007/08, 2004/05 combined and then some. he scored 23 league goals in those 3 seasons in total in 70 matches

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

monkey9 wrote: »
    Drogba is quite brilliant too. But his antics are cringeworthy. I hate the bloke!

yeah that hat trick-today took the bickky for me...
    fair enough, he acted up a bit because he wasnt allowed to take the 1st peno. in once sense i understand his eagerness, he wanted to win the golden boot, last game of the season and a peno was just given, perfect opportunity for him to blast home a goal really. his emotions got the better of him judging by the sulk, but he must have been given a talking to at half time because when he re-emerged after half time, he was sublime altogether.
    the man is quality.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    he has had the season of his life in fairness and probably won't come close to it again

remember he scored MORE league goals this season than seasons 2008/9, 2007/08, 2004/05 combined and then some. he scored 23 league goals in those 3 seasons in total in 70 matches

Yeah but he was the top scorer in 06/07. He has scored over 10 goals in the league every season, and was out for the large chunks of the past 2 seasons. The last two seasons where he has been fit for the majority of the season he has banged in 30+ goals. Also consider he has 15 assists this season, second only in the league to Lampard who has 17. And he helps out defensively :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He stopped being a drama queen this year and his game and goal ratio improved. Great to see it and long may it continue. He has been increible this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

He is a true enigma .

As a Chelsea fan I love his goals , but wonder if he stayed on his feet how many would he score then !

Anyway congrats to him for getting the golden boot , tell me is there any money involved in that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

Drogba is a legend. One of the best players to play in Premiership ever. On the pitch when he's in a sulk he can be an embarrassment and I can understand why people dislike him but if football was filled with "nice" guys that everyone likes where would the fun be in that? Football needs guys to hate like Drogs and Bellamy. Probably could do without Joey Barton though!
    Ancellotti was saying in papers that he had word with Drogba at half time. Would love to know what he said cos that second half was something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

stovelid wrote: »
    Utterly fantastic player but as a person.. Pele's famous quote about Maradona springs to mind.

Actually Didier Drogba is meant to be an extremely likeable person away from football. He is meant to be a true gent off the pitch, fantastic for giving to charity and very funny too. Unfortunately on the pitch he is a twit. However he is the best striker in the world and I would have him at United any time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Quality player but so annoying at times. His antics yesterday were selfish to the extreme. He is a brilliant frontman though.

From all known reports he is supposed to be a top guy off the field.

Im too lazy to set up a thread about Lampard but the guy deserves enormous credit. He was the best midfielder in the League this season and his goal return is just ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭damienmcd

His second half performance yesterday was magnificent! This performance alone deserves all the credit he gets for it.

Overall, this season he's been much better than in previous years, and not just because of his goals tally. His attitude has been a lot better than before.

He's possibly the best player in the premiership at the minute. The guy is immense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Drogba gets modern football in a way that most players don't. He knows he won't get every freekick he's entitled to, but he makes enough of a fuss to leave the referee in no doubt as to what the decision should have been. This will be in the ref's mind the next time there is a 50/50 challenge or Drogba goes down a little easy.
    He gets fouled an awful lot throughout a match, but unlike most people, he goes down and often gets the frees he is entitled to, no matter how soft they are.

If he played for your team, you'd love him.

Manyoo had fake ronaldo and they loved him. But he was far worse than Drogba ever was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Julez

Drogba gets modern football in a way that most players don't. He knows he won't get every freekick he's entitled to, but he makes enough of a fuss to leave the referee in no doubt as to what the decision should have been. This will be in the ref's mind the next time there is a 50/50 challenge or Drogba goes down a little easy.
    He gets fouled an awful lot throughout a match, but unlike most people, he goes down and often gets the frees he is entitled to, no matter how soft they are.

If he played for your team, you'd love him.

Manyoo had fake ronaldo and they loved him. But he was far worse than Drogba ever was.

First post since chelsea took it, congrats to them, have to say they were the better team although I'm sure you felt it could have been done sooner. As we feel we should have took our chances when we got them but we chased you for the most part of the season.

Anyway, onto Drogba, just bolding this out because it seems like your saying people love him for wining these frees and United fans did the same with Ronaldo, I loved Ronaldo but not for acting like a twat, Ronaldo did moan a lot, but certainly no more than Drogba (champs league exit to barca).

Fair play to Drogba, absolutely amazing player, but his actions are cringeworthy and embarrassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Drogba - a legend for Chelsea. His antics were a lot quieter this season than usual.

I'd prefer him to Rooney on my dream team :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Drogba is the top Striker in the premiership. Consider that he got the golden boot and played in the African Nations cup this season.

Legend.

People often cant see beyond the antics/falling over, but he really really wants to win. The energy he puts into games is top notch, watch how often he tracks back and makes a good extra defender, playing for the team.

Drogba rightly got the golden boot this year cause although Rooney has had a top season I still would'nt regard him as an (out an out) striker. In the mould of Drogba, Bent, Defoe and Torres (and Adebyor). Same way some else said Ronaldo is winger 1st & a forward/stiker 2nd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Same way some else said Ronaldo is winger 1st & a forward/stiker 2nd.

Whoever said that is misguided. It should be the other way around.

Drogba - great player. But I'd have Rooney over him. Overall play is better for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Drogba is a disgrace. When his career is over he can count his medals and smile but a huge amount of football fans dislike him. His antics have cost him the respect of a good chunk of footballing fans

Drogba is a disgrace. When his career is over he can count his medals and smile but a huge amount of football fans dislike him. His antics have cost him the respect of a good chunk of footballing fans

You think that really matters too him? What some other fans think about him? The fact that they hate him just pays homage to the fact that he is an awesome player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

He is a good player but at times he can look like a complete donkey too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Despise him. He's worse than Hitler.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

When he's 50 and sitting in his mansion surrounded by women, cars and whatever else takes his fancy he's gonna be pretty upset about what we all think of him alright.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

What I find interesting about the original thread is that Lampard has missed two penalties in a row now since..the argument that Drogba should've left it to Lampard because Drogba might've missed is treading water.

I'd rather Drogba than Lampard taking penalties..

• Advertisement
Advertisement