Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

looking to buy a Gibson, need help!

• 09-05-2010 7:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

well what with my birthday closing in i thought id get a new guitar but am finding it hard to understand all the terms being thrown at me about all the makes, can anyone help put me in the right direction of buying a good Les Paul or SG guitar by epiphone or Gibson? or any links to international sites would be appreciated. Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

What kind of budget do you have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

This thread will be painfull. Don't buy this, buy that instead. All the usuall Gibson bashing on here.

Anyway, not from me. A used LP Standard from early 90's would be my preference. Around €1300 could be a price.

The Gibson SG would be best value, used for around €700. I have seen them going for 6 recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

standby for "get a bacchus/edwards instead" etc. :D

When you say 'Gibson', you really need to be more specific if you want some help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭stephenshields2

What kind of budget do you have?

A very important question when considering Gibson guitars. :)

I agree with darrenw5094, a nice 90's Gibson Les Paul, although I recommend the Les Paul Custom over the Standard, they're amazing.

As for the Gibson bashers out there, Gibson is the original and best imo. Yes, I have played Gibson guitars that were of a questionable quality for the money thats asked for them, but if you look around, your gonna find an amazing Les Paul that really sings and it'll be worth every penny!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Yup, we need the budget to help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

Play one before you buy - they're not nice to play IMO. Buy a strat.

Here we go lads, the Gibson bashing begins. :rolleyes:

Your in a small minority of people Forest Master.

I'd consider the faaaaaar bigger difference between a Strat and an LP to be the sound rather than the playability.

In fact, if choosing between the two, playability would be relatively far down the list...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Here we go lads, the Gibson bashing begins. :rolleyes:

Your in a small minority of people Forest Master.

It should be noted that Gibson pushing is just as tiring as Gibson bashing. Someone expressing an opinion against something isn't bashing that thing.

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Someone expressing an opinion against something isn't bashing that thing.

Yes but when the OP says:
    Beano7 wrote: »
    can anyone help put me in the right direction of buying a good Les Paul or SG guitar by epiphone or Gibson?

then I would think that suggesting Strats, Teles, acoustic guitars etc. would be relatively redundant.

The number of options for someone looking to buy an LP or LP-alike (or SG-alike) are numerous enough without suggesting banjos too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

-Chris- wrote: »
    Yes but when the OP says:

then I would think that suggesting Strats, Teles, acoustic guitars etc. would be relatively redundant.

The number of options for someone looking to buy an LP or LP-alike (or SG-alike) are numerous enough without suggesting banjos too...

I told him to "play one before you buy" - I didn't dismiss them. I said "they're not nice to play IMO".

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Mataguri

Thomann are doing decent enough prices on the Vintage Mahogany LP Studios: http://www.thomann.de/ie/gibson_les_paul_studio_limited_wccr.htm

It may lack the some of the aesthetic style of the Standard but it sounds pretty close to one and imo the satin neck feels much nicer. Failing that there seems to be a few reasonably prices SG Standards on Adverts.ie at the moment.

Is there no maple top on that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

El Pr0n wrote: »
    It should be noted that Gibson pushing is just as tiring as Gibson bashing. Someone expressing an opinion against something isn't bashing that thing.
    I'm with you on this and FWIW I think it's silly you can't suggest alternatives without being accused of derailing the thread. For the money I'd be buying a PRS or high end Strat.

Some Gibsons are nice too tho, if that's your thing. OP, you can make up your own mind.

A bit strange that the OP hasnt responded to his own thread yet... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Beano7

Sorry for late reply, up to my nuts in study, i know telecasters quality bit I'm a sucker for SGs really, I found a nice Gibson SG on thomann.de/ie for 635 quid, any thoughts on it?

Sorry for late reply, up to my nuts in study, i know telecasters quality bit I'm a sucker for SGs really, I found a nice Gibson SG on thomann.de/ie for 635 quid, any thoughts on it?

Post a linky there till we see what model it is!! :D

Post a linky there till we see what model it is!! :D

The SG for that price is the SG Faded: http://www.thomann.de/ie/gibson_sgspecialfaded_wc.htm

Opinion is very divided on these models. Some people hate them because they aren't your typical Gibson and some people love them for exactly the same reason. Personally, I love the faded satin finish, it makes the neck feel great.

I believe Waltons have some faded series Gibsons in stock. Could be worth heading in to try one or two out.

Mataguri wrote: »
    The SG for that price is the SG Faded: http://www.thomann.de/ie/gibson_sgspecialfaded_wc.htm

Opinion is very divided on these models. Some people hate them because they aren't your typical Gibson and some people love them for exactly the same reason. Personally, I love the faded satin finish, it makes the neck feel great.

I believe Waltons have some faded series Gibsons in stock. Could be worth heading in to try one or two out.

yeah thats the one i had my eyes on alright, i personally think the faded models are pretty kick ass:) i was looking in waltons but their prices are way too much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

This one is nice, gonna be pretty damn bright though. It's ALL! maple. :D

228084.jpg

It's a Raw Power SG, they come in several colours and cost €788 on thomann. Pretty cool I think.

• Advertisement

damn that is nice, just outa my budget though! going for an amp too, my yamaha has done me well but time for an upgrade! so no comments on the faded sg then?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Guitareaxe

You certainly do need help, gibsons are a rip off.

-Chris- wrote: »
    Is there no maple top on that?

Nope, but quite a few Les Pauls dont have maple tops, including this beaut:

60_custom.jpg

Guitareaxe wrote: »
    You certainly do need help, gibsons are a rip off.

yeah but since i found that one for 635, it's just deadly! tried it out at waltons and all too, still no feedback on it?

yeah but since i found that one for 635, it's just deadly! tried it out at waltons and all too, still no feedback on it?

Feedback? You need to post the exact model. Or even better, post a photo of it up here.

heres the link to the guitar and theres the picture too

heres the link to the guitar and theres the picture too

Gibson SG Faded.
    115168.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

I bought one of those lads in the states a few years back. It was the faded brown finish. Not as bad little axe at all. Alas it's gone now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

IMO. Buy a strat.

:confused:
    LP sounds nothing like a strat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭thegom145

Have a look in Jimi's music store in ballymount off the walkinstown roundabout - I posted a similar thread about 7 or 8 months ago, someone pointed me to that place and I ended up getting a beautiful '93 Ebony Les Paul Custom that is my pride and joy. He does a lot of vintage guitars, and a lot of high end stuff, but have a look and see if anything tickles your fancy.

http://www.jimismusicstore.ie/

Advertisement