Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

War and Peace

Options
  • 09-05-2010 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

I have started reading war and peace today, just after i finished crime and punishment i must say an experience well worth the read found it hard to read it as my emotions were all about the place.

But anyways i have started reading Tolstoys masterpiece and im wondering is anyone doing the same, as ive been told its quite an expedition. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

214horatio wrote: »
    I have started reading war and peace today, just after i finished crime and punishment i must say an experience well worth the read found it hard to read it as my emotions were all about the place.

But anyways i have started reading Tolstoys masterpiece and im wondering is anyone doing the same, as ive been told its quite an expedition. :rolleyes:
    It's on my to be read shelf i might be starting it next week

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Pick up the author's preferred text too, War and Peace and Zombies it's called.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭blue_steel

Crime and Punishment: fantastic psychological thriller.
    War and Peace: I only managed 200 hundred pages I'm afraid. Keep meaning to pick it up again because it was quite interesting. Unfortunately the cast of thousands mixed with the dreaded Russian patronymic stretched my feeble memory to breaking point. Best of luck though.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭randomguy

Read it years back. Liked it. But skim-read all but the first of the treatises on philosophy and the movement of history that he stuck in between the books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

randomguy wrote: »
    Read it years back. Liked it. But skim-read all but the first of the treatises on philosophy and the movement of history that he stuck in between the books.

+1
    Read it several years ago now, I loved all the peace parts, the bits set in the high society and the relationships between the characters, and the more action-oriented parts of the war bits, but there are long passages of philosophical musings I just had to lightly skim over...I vaguely remember being irked by a part where one of the characters (think it was Petya but long ago now, could be wrong!) got badly injured, fell off his horse in the middle of battle, all seemed very dramatic, the chapter ended...and was followed by several chapters of the "character's" philosophical reflections as he lay on the ground, all of which was supposed to last several seconds but when on for pages....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Fantastic book, probably the 'best' book I've ever read, the only way to read it is to just read a few hundred pages at a time and immerse yourself in it, imo. Just to ruin the ending, Napoleon doesn't win the war...

Advertisement