Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

in a relationship with a single parent to be

Options
  • 09-05-2010 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Hi guys sorry if Im posting in the wrong place as this is a bit of a relationship thing also. I am in a relationship with a guy who is going to be a dad of a child he is having with his ex girlfriend. It was quite a shock to him and unplanned as she turned up unannounced 4 months into our relationship and told him she was pregnant. We broke up as he thought it would be too hard to put me through her giving birth and seeing him have the baby with another woman. However, after a lot of soulsearching (and a lot of pain!) we have decided we love each other too much to stay apart. I was wondering if any other people out there dating single parents have any advice for me? I've tried to read up on advice but most of the advice pertains to single parents with older children not actually having a new born baby. What issues can I expect to encounter? When would babies be able to stay over night with their other parent?

So far I have stepped back and let him sort things out with the mum and not got involved as the way I see it, it is their child together and my role is to support him but I don't know what to do when the baby is born!! I have 5 nephews and nieces so have been around babies a lot so that's fine its more of the relationship side of things Im not sure of. I would really appreciate any advice you could give me. Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Elle Collins

Basically you've nothing to worry about here as far as the baby goes Tink2 as you've no responsibilities in this situation. You may not even have to worry about being around the baby at all as his/her mother may not want you to be. Whatever anybody's opinion is on that, it is ultimately the mothers decision. When I split with my childs father all I ever cared about in my ex's future girlfriends was that they'd be decent women who'd be good to my child, but some women do not share these views.

You asked what personal issues you might be likely to face. Well it's very hard to say when you don't know the people involved. I suppose you can expect him to be stressed up until the birth and then after that he will surely fall in love with the child, leaving you feeling somewhat out in the cold. Personally I don't think I'd like to be in your situation OP, but best of luck with it.

Advertisement