Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Pup, Old Dog

Options
  • 09-05-2010 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

We've had a lhaso apso for about 9 years. He's generally quite (too!) mild mannered, good with strangers etc. He'll snap now and then if you put a hand near his food, or try to take something from him, but apart from that he's well behaved. The problem is, we got an 8 week old ****zu/terrier puppy yesterday, and am slightly concerned about how Dog No. 1 is acting towards him. There's nothing overly aggressive; indeed, he spends most of his time studiously ignoring the little interloper, and generally treating him with disdain. However, being a young 'un, the new fellow gets up in his face now and then, and Dog No. 1 reacts by growling and snaps. He hasn't actually bitten the pup, nor does it seem his intent, but I'm still worried about how the two of them will get on. We're not showing any favoritism or anything; indeed, we're lavishing attention on both. What I need though, is any advice or tips on how to get them both to bond a little. I don't want to leave the kitchen one day and find nothing left of the puppy once I return save a tail hanging from the other's mouth! So, any tips appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

Keep them apart your older dog has agression issues related to gaurding , you need to take him to a specilist

Advertisement