Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ENGLAND WORLD CUP SQUAD!

• 09-05-2010 9:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭

Who would you bring?

Keepers:
    Rob Green,David James,Joe Hart

Defenders:
    John Terry,Ashley Cole,Rio Ferdinand,Stephen Warnock,Glen Johnson,Wes Brown,Gary Cahill.

Midfield:
    Frank Lampard,Joe Cole,Steven Gerrard,Gareth Barry,Ashley Young,Stuart Downing,Theo Walcott,Aaron Lennon,Michael Carrick.

Strikers:
    Wayne Rooney,Jermaine DeFoe,Gabriel Agbonlahor,Darren Bent.

First 11:

R.Green

G.Johnson R.Ferdinand J.Terry A.Cole

A.Young F.Lampard M.Carrick J.Cole

S.Gerrard

J.DeFoe

Rooney on the bench till the quarters.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Are you for real?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Rooney will the 1st name on the teamsheet I would have thought.

At a guess

James
    Ashley Cole
    Terry
    Ferdinand
    Johnson
    Joe Cole
    Gerrard
    Lampard
    Lennon
    Rooney
    Carlton Cole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I think the OP must mean put Rooney on the bench to let him get 100% fit.
    But then there is a month until it starts so he should be fine and rested by then. As well as that I don't know if they'd get to the quarters without him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Downing shouldn't be anywhere near the squad on current form

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Gary Neville should be in there before Johnson and brown imo.

ashley young can stay at home.

Adam Johnson should also be there.

Edit: and lol at the lack of crouch in the op. In fact, can someone just delete this thread? He's made a balls of it.

• Advertisement

Downing and Young but no Milner? :eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Carlton Cole to start in one and no Milner in another?

GK: Hart, James, Green

RB: G.Johnson, 1 more (W.Brown/G.Neville going on who already had the spot)
    LB: A.Cole, Baines/Warnock (Baines going by form)
    CB: Terry, Ferdinand, King, 1 more (Upson, Lescott or Cahill going by recent history)

RM: A.Lennon, Theo Walcott
    LM: Joe Cole, Gerrard (its where Capello has been playing him)
    CM: Lampard, Barry, Carrick, Milner (really a utility player in this squad)

ST: Rooney, Defoe, Crouch, Heskey (did it in qualifying, capello will stick with him)

this leaves space for one more out of A.Young, Darren Bent, Gabby Agbonlahor, Johnson (city), Tom Huddlestone, or maybe a surprise outisder like a fit Heargreaves (they could use a DM) or a back from international retirement Carragher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Gary Neville should be in there before Johnson and brown imo.t.

Good call........

Carlton Cole to start really?

GK: Hart, James, Green

RB: G.Johnson, 1 more (W.Brown going on who already had the spot)
    LB: A.Cole, Baines/Warnock (Baines going by form)
    CB: Terry, Ferdinand, King, 1 more (Upson, Lescott or Cahill going by recent history)

RM: A.Lennon, Theo Walcott
    LM: Joe Cole, Gerrard (its where Capello has been playing him)
    CM: Lampard, Barry, Carrick, Milner (really a utility player in this squad)

ST: Rooney, Defoe, Crouch, Heskey (did it in qualifying, capello will stick with him)

this leaves space for one more out of A.Young, Darren Bent, Gabby Agbonlahor, Tom Huddlestone, or maybe a surprise outisder like a fit Heargreaves (they could use a DM) or a back from international retirement Carragher.

I am starting to think that there is truth in the Carragher rumour. They could be considering him as cover for both RB and CB.. Frees up one other space elsewhere.

I will be genuinely disappointed if Heskey is called up ahead of Bent.

I think you are forgetting Johnson from City in those possibles too.. He has been in epic form in fairness to him and seems to offer that little more in terms of the end product that Lennon ever will.

Englands only real weakness in terms of the starting 11 is the lack of a really good defensive midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

OP do you realise that you have Michael Carrick in your team? At the World Cup.

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

jaysis...i didn't think id get this much abuse. bound to get a bit more with this post.

I dont think id bring milner. id rather bring out and out wingers. milner is mediocre i think. I think bringing crouch would be a mistake. as soon as he's on the pitch its long ball. but then again maybe it makes sense to bring him. but I think england have a good enough passing team..they dont need heskey or crouch. I think pace up front would be better especially with the creative midfield they have. im thinking id bring warnock over baines on experience alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I am starting to think that there is truth in the Carragher rumour. They could be considering him as cover for both RB and CB.. Frees up one other space elsewhere.

Jagielka and Micah Richards can also play both positions and have been playing for England more recently. Personally I'd take Jagielka ahead of Brown, Richards or Carragher but I suspect Brown might go.

Huddlestone and Hargreaves are knocking on the door for Carrick's position. Barry isn't a definite to go yet.

Adam Johnson, Crouch and Milner are glaring omissions from OP's team. Crouch will definitely go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭mr.mayo

I'm surprised nobody has named a load of Conference players just to screw them:)
    Anyway, being serious

Keepers: Hart, James, Green

Defenders: Johnson, Brown, Ferdinand, Terry, Dawson, Shawcross/Cahill, Warnock, A.Cole

Midfielders: Lennon, Milner, Lampard, Parker, Gerrard, Barry, Young/Johnson, J.Cole

Forwards: Rooney, Defoe, Crouch, Zamora(with his form can you really argue?)

I don't rate Walcott that highly, he's good for exploiting weak fullbacks but struggles against defensively strong ones, his final ball is very iffy and he can become extremely isolated from the game. Give me Lennon over him any day
    Heskey is alright for long balls, but offers nothing else, Crouch & Zamora can do his job without too much hassle

8-10 wrote: »
    Jagielka and Micah Richards can also play both positions and have been playing for England more recently. Personally I'd take Jagielka ahead of Brown, Richards or Carragher but I suspect Brown might go.

Huddlestone and Hargreaves are knocking on the door for Carrick's position. Barry isn't a definite to go yet.

Adam Johnson, Crouch and Milner are glaring omissions from OP's team. Crouch will definitely go!

I am not claiming that Carragher deserves to go.. I am just starting to believe the rumours going around etc.

Hargreaves is unlikley in my opinion despite believing that he solves the single weakness that exists in the starting 11. He just hasn't played any games in so long.

Barry's injury could secure Carrick's place I guess??

When are they announcing it?

Nozebleed wrote: »
    jaysis...i didn't think id get this much abuse. bound to get a bit more with this post.

I dont think id bring milner. id rather bring out and out wingers. milner is mediocre i think. I think bringing crouch would be a mistake. as soon as he's on the pitch its long ball. but then again maybe it makes sense to bring him. but I think england have a good enough passing team..they dont need heskey or crouch. I think pace up front would be better especially with the creative midfield they have. im thinking id bring warnock over baines on experience alone.

IMO Milner is better than Joe Cole (on season form), Steven Gerrard, (on season form) Gareth Barry (although different role), Ashley Young, Stuart Downing, Theo Walcott, and Michael Carrick (although different role).

I will be genuinely disappointed if Heskey is called up ahead of Bent.

I think you are forgetting Johnson from City in those possibles too.. He has been in epic form in fairness to him and seems to offer that little more in terms of the end product that Lennon ever will.

Englands only real weakness in terms of the starting 11 is the lack of a really good defensive midfielder.

good point re-Johnson, I edited my post to add him. as much as i agree about Heskey i dont think Capello will drop him after having him start in most of their qualifying games and how he was in the last england squad vs Egypt. I unfortunatley think that Bents best chance of going is as the 23rd man i.e a 5th striker, which is something i dont think will happen.

Carragher would be a far better option if available for the backup RB slot than the two united lads imo, afterall arent uniteds first choice RBs now O'Shea/Rafeal not Brown/Neville, especially seing as he would also be CB cover. Kinda like Lescott at LB although im not a fan of his and will admit that is why he was totally omitted. Although yes i could see Jags or maybe Micah also fighting it out for this spot.

milner is mediocre i think.

:eek:

Also is Bridge definitely out yeah?

I am not claiming that Carragher deserves to go.. I am just starting to believe the rumours going around etc.

Hargreaves is unlikley in my opinion despite believing that he solves the single weakness that exists in the starting 11. He just hasn't played any games in so long.

Barry's injury could secure Carrick's place I guess??

When are they announcing it?

Tuesday I believe? Might be the 30-man squad though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Absolutely disgrace if Carragher gos tbh. I'll be very disappointed if Adam Johnson gos too ahead of players who have proven themselves in the Premiership for a number of seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Hart

G.Johnson
    Terry
    King
    A.Cole

Milner
    Gerrard
    Lampard
    A.Johnson

Rooney
    Bent

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Nozebleed wrote:
    I dont think id bring milner. id rather bring out and out wingers. milner is mediocre i think.

Mediocre? The guy voted Young Player of the Year by his peers? :eek:

Barry is injured I think. I thought I read he would be missing. If Carragher goes then forget about Neville making it. I wouldn't bring Joe Cole personally as I don't think he's earned it. My squad would be:

Keepers:

Rob Green, David James, Joe Hart

Defenders:

Ashley Cole, Leighton Baines, John Terry, Rio Ferdinand, Ledley King, Michael Dawson, Jamie Carragher, Glen Johnson. (He will probably take Upson though)

Midfield:

Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard, James Milner, Scott Parker, Aaron Lennon, Theo Walcott, Ashley Young, Adam Johnson. (Doubt he will take Johnson)

Strikers:

Wayne Rooney, Jermaine Defoe, Peter Crouch, Gaby Agbonlahor. (I reckon he will take Heskey though)

I dont think id bring milner. id rather bring out and out wingers. milner is mediocre i think.

everyone is entitled to their opinions but the YPOTY is not mediocre, be prepares to see this image this summer:

james-milner-805617267.jpg

milner is mediocre i think.
    Solid proof for any doubters that opinions can in fact be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

everyone is entitled to their opinions but the YPOTY is not mediocre, be prepares to see this image this summer:

james-milner-805617267.jpg

Over-rated definitely. Mediocre, no.

CSF wrote: »
    Absolutely disgrace if Carragher gos tbh. I'll be very disappointed if Adam Johnson gos too ahead of players who have proven themselves in the Premiership for a number of seasons.

That's always the division between international managers, pick on form or experience. I think there has to be a bit of both. Johnson is on better form than Downing, Walcott or Joe Cole.

Don't be surprised to see Johnson named in the 30-man squad. Players like him, Ledley King, Bobby Zamora, Gareth Barry and Owen Hargreaves should be named on Tuesday but will be borderline for the final 23.

Found out there that Capello names 30 on Tuesday to go to Austria for training camp and no set date for the final 23 but FIFA deadline is June 1st. England's last pre-finals friendly is May 30th v Japan so final squad likely after that.

I'd like to think he's got an open mind about the players he takes to the camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

This won't be the final squad but it'd probably be who I'd take at this moment in time.

Goalkeepers: David James, Joe Hart, Robert Green

Defenders: John Terry, Ashley Cole, Rio Ferdinand, Gary Neville, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, Michael Dawson, Stephen Warnock

Midfield: Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard, Gareth Barry, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Ashley Young, Adam Johnson, Michael Carrick

Forwards: Wayne Rooney, Emile Heskey, Jermain Defoe, Peter Crouch

Midfield:

Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard, James Milner, Scott Parker, Aaron Lennon, Theo Walcott, Ashley Young, Adam Johnson. (Doubt he will take Johnson)

I'll wager right now that Parker is definitely not going to SA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

if your taking players that are on form like Capello said he would then heskey, Gerrard, probably put Rio in that bracket and Walcott shouldnt be going but Fabio likes to talk a bit of bs like all managers do so of course the above will be going

I'd agree, definitely not going. He's a decent player but he's not going to aid England in any way at the World Cup.

• Advertisement

Lukker- wrote: »

i know your saying he is not mediocre but...
    over rated me hole, sure some of us Villa fans take the piss a lil with our "James Milner Aprreciation threads" or "Milnerotica" but I think most agree that he is still improving as a player and yet has been argueably the best performer at the club who have just come 6th this season while playing in a new position. his peers voted him the YPOTY and he has huge international experience despite being relatively new to the full squad as the U-21 record cap holder. He is the most fit man on the planet and would be a great influence in the camp despite not being a senior player as he is the type that straight up gives you 100% effort every time, he is also versatile enough to play in pretty much every position except maybe CB or goal if needed in an emergancy but hell im sure he would do a job there too if asked. Easily my favourite Villa player atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

Lukker- wrote: »

yep id agree..over rated. mediocre? i think so..there's nothing special going on there. he's never gona be a joe cole or gerrard. I think you have to brinng joe cole...he's one of the most talented player england have ever produced and he's plaeyed well at previous tournaments. i think he has to go. milner will always be back up he wount change a game he;s a workhorse nothing more.

yep id agree..over rated. mediocre? i think so..there's nothing special going on there. he's never gona be a joe cole or gerrard. I think you have to brinng joe cole...he's one of the most talented player england have ever produced and he's plaeyed well at previous tournaments. i think he has to go. milner will always be back up he wount change a game he;s a workhorse nothing more.

im beginning to become vexed... yep vexed is a good word :pac:

Over the last year James Milner has been far superior to the 2 lads you mentioned, that doesn't count as form, as far as I'm concerned over the course of a season counts as natural level. Milner has progressed, Gerrard has regressed. Milner>Gerrard

im beginning to become vexed... yep vexed is a good word :pac:

Milner will win England the World Cup, you heard it here first.

Couple of things.

1. Gerrard and Joe Cole have been utterly useless this season.
    2. Joe Cole is not even close to 'one of the most talented' players England have 'ever' produced.
    3. Milner can change games. He's a very dynamic player. He's not a workhorse.
    I'm not Milner's biggest fan but he is going to the World Cup and his versatility and drive could help England a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

RichTea wrote:
    I'd agree, definitely not going. He's a decent player but he's not going to aid England in any way at the World Cup.

If Barry doesn't make it don't be too surprised to see Parker named.

I think Milner starts ahead of Barry if he doesn't make it.

In any case it's Italy's World Cup. Forza Italia!

If Barry doesn't make it don't be too surprised to see Parker named.

Huddlestone ahead of him IMO.

That's always the division between international managers, pick on form or experience. I think there has to be a bit of both. Johnson is on better form than Downing, Walcott or Joe Cole.
    Yeah I know, but this isn't the same, the chap has only been in the Premiership for like 3 months. If it was Bobby Zamora or Ledley King fair enough, they're relatively proven players who have hit form. This chap was not on the radar 3 months ago as far as even top Premiership football was considered, never mind international football. It wouldn't be on the same level as when Walcott was brought 4 years ago, but it'd still be pretty stupid. Someone like Ashley Young (the lad who'd probably be the one to lose out) should not be dropped because some young lad has been good at a big club lately.

• Advertisement

Yeah I know, but this isn't the same, the chap has only been in the Premiership for like 3 months. If it was Bobby Zamora or Ledley King fair enough, they're relatively proven players who have hit form. This chap was not on the radar 3 months ago as far as even top Premiership football was considered, never mind international football. It wouldn't be on the same level as when Walcott was brought 4 years ago, but it'd still be pretty stupid. Someone like Ashley Young (the lad who'd probably be the one to lose out) should not be dropped because some young lad has been good at a big club lately.

Ashley Young doesn't even make the squad so he wouldn't be getting dropped.

JPA wrote: »
    Ashley Young doesn't even make the squad so he wouldn't be getting dropped.
    He played in the game before last. My heart will break into 5 million pieces if Young isn't on that plane. So much better than some of the players that may get in ahead of him.

He played in the game before last. My heart will break into 5 million pieces if Young isn't on that plane. So much better than some of the players that may get in ahead of him.

Well then you're going to die, no way is he going to SA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Ian_K

.................Hart.................

G Johnson...King...Terry...Cole

................Parker...............
    ..........Milner...Lampard........
    Lennon.................A Johnson

..............Rooney................

Capello likes to lineup with one pacey winger as an outlet, first choice is Lennon, 2nd choice Walcott. He's not going to have a team with 2 out and out wingers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

jaysus when u read the squad he has to choose from..
    its a fairly daycent team sheet no matter who u bring to the world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Do not be shocked if Sol Campbell is in the 30 man squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Can't believe people are mentioning Jamie Carragher. He has been absolute tripe all season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

In any case it's Italy's World Cup. Forza Italia!

Not a chance.

Not a chance.

:D I can hope.

• Advertisement
Advertisement