Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ENGLAND WORLD CUP SQUAD!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Hargreaves, if fit, should have zero chance. He has hardly played the past few years!

Is Barry due to be fit in time for the WC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Ian_K wrote: »
    .................Hart.................

G Johnson...King...Terry...Cole

................Parker...............
    ..........MilnerGerrard...Lampard........
    Lennon.................A JohnsonMilner

..............Rooney................

I'd have it as that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Thing is Capello never goes on club-form, he goes on previous International form, experience and balance. Thats why the likes of Johnson, Zamora, Parker and King probably won't be going. Don't think Lennon will have enough game time to start either and Walcott has been pretty good for Englad so far. I think Joe Cole will get in the squad and feature at some point, as up until his injury was one of Englands best performers. The question is, does he bring Fedinand who has only started 13 games this season? Who he pairs with Terry is what I'm looking forward to most, but I still reckon it will be a bog standard Ferdinand/Terry partnership. I don't think there will be too many changes to how they've played recently, Capello isn't one for changing things last minute and will still use the same system. Still don't think he can justify bringing Emile Heskey, who has been so attrocious this season, but I think his partnership with Rooney will just about see him squeeze his way on a plane to SA.

What I expect to see:

Green---

-Johnson--Ferdinand--Terry--A.Cole-

Barry(if fit)

Lampard

Gerrard----
    Walcott

Rooney

Crouch

Rooney playing off Crouch similiar to the way he does off Heskey, Gerrard on the left but generallly playing slightly central, A.Cole bombing down the left, Barry covering, Lampard central and Walcott the outlet on the right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

dam i forgot to put michael owen in my squad. id have him in there instead of darren bent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Nozebleed wrote: »
    dam i forgot to put michael owen in my squad. id have him in there instead of darren bent.
    You do know he's injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

right, the squad I'D bring; not the one i think will go...

GK: James, Hart, Green

DF: A.Cole, Ferdinand, Terry, G.Johnson, Dawson, King, Baines

MF: Barry, Milner, Gerrard, Lampard, J.Cole, Lennon, A.Johnson, SWP

F: Rooney, Defoe, C.Cole, Crouch, Bent

I've only put 7 defenders in because Milner can cover RB, and Barry is another defensive option if necessary.

i think Adam Johnson needs to go, as he offers something very different. i hope Capello takes that risk.

i don't think Heskey is good enough, even though Capello will take him. i'd much rather Cole, or even Zamora with the form he's in.

i'm not a huge fan of Bent, but he has to go. the only Englishman to outscore him in the Premiership is Rooney, and it's not like Defoe has had the greatest season.

also, i don't buy the Walcott hype. too many people seem to have a blindspot for him. he's too wasteful, and not worth having for that one burst of pace that might work. Lennon and SWP both offer more reliability IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭jdooley28

Wel if it was up to me id bring

Goalkeepers:james, hart, green
    Defenders:cole,baines,rio,terry,king,dawson,johnson,jagielka
    Midfield:gerrard,lampard,barry,parker,milner,lennon,cole,walcott
    Forwards:Crouch,bent ,rooney,defoe.

Carragher shouldn't go very poor season. Bobby zamora is very close. Heskey is cat id rate agbondahlor ahead of him. Adam johnson has yet prove himself on the big stage but im sue he will turn out to be a great player. and whoever said not to bring milner go on outta that. As a man utd fan i hate leaving out brown,neville, hargreaves, carrick! I wonder would he consider bringing just 2 goalkeepers to free up an extra space i know its a risk but surely 2 goalkeepers would be fine

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Carragher's retired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

GK - Hart, Green, James
    FB's - Cole, Johnson, Brown, Baines
    CB's - Ferdinand, Terry, King, Jagielka
    WM - Lennon, A Johnson, A Young
    MC - Gerrard, Lampard, Barry, Milner
    ST - Rooney, Heskey, Zamora, Crouch, Defoe

Above is what I'd like, below is what I think it will be.

GK - Hart, Green, James
    FB's - Cole, Johnson, Brown,
    CB's - Ferdinand, Terry, Jagielka, Lescott, Upson
    WM - Lennon, Beckham, Wright-Phillips
    MC - Gerrard, Lampard, Barry, Milner, Carrick
    ST - Rooney, Heskey, Crouch, Defoe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

My squad would be:

Keepers:

Rob Green, David James, Joe Hart

Defenders:

Ashley Cole, Leighton Baines, John Terry, Rio Ferdinand, Ledley King, Michael Dawson, Jamie Carragher, Glen Johnson. (He will probably take Upson though)

Midfield:

Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard, James Milner, Scott Parker, Aaron Lennon, Theo Walcott, Ashley Young, Adam Johnson. (Doubt he will take Johnson)

Strikers:

Wayne Rooney, Jermaine Defoe, Peter Crouch, Gaby Agbonlahor. (I reckon he will take Heskey though)

This is one of the better and more sensible teams I have seen.

I would probably have Bent going instead of Agbonlahor, I don't think he is given enough credit.
    I think Walcott is just a shaper and soooo over rated but seems to fit into Capellos plans.
    Not sure on Johnson, I think it could just be the media hype.

The only thing I really want is to NOT see Carrick at the World Cup, it pains me watching him try to play.

It seems it is so much harder to get dropped from the team than it is to get into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Not sure on Johnson, I think it could just be the media hype.

For me, i would love to see him taken to the World Cup. I didn't think he would get the game time at City when he moved there, he went to City ahead of even his boyhood team Sunderland where he was certain of game time.

This for me shows confidence, and when you see him play that Confidence is in abundance. I have only seen him play in the flesh once, and that was against Sunderland, but he is so much more than just hype. He has stood out in a City team full of big names since his move there.

Does he deserve a place ahead of more seasoned England regulars?,yes there needs to be a certain amount of been there done that when it comes to International football, but for me i would have him in the squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

England's 30-man provisional squad

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart, David James, Robert Green.

Defenders: Leighton Baines, Jamie Carragher, Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock.

Midfielders: Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Tom Huddlestone, Adam Johnson, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Scott Parker, Theo Walcott, Shaun Wright-Phillips.

Forwards: Darren Bent, Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

No real surprises in that squad tbh, seems senisible enough which is probably a good thing given the last few England squads named for major tournaments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

no zamora ?

poor fella can never get a chance

who would you guys cut? assuming all a fit and well

I find it hard to believe walcott, wright philips and lennon are in ahead of Ashley young...young is a far better footballer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭token56

Headshot wrote: »
    no zamora ?

poor fella can never get a chance

Should definitely be in there ahead of Heskey. The only problem I could see with him is that he has had a very long season already and has injury worries. But I still think he should be given the chance at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Dymo

Am I the only one who never heard of Tom Huddlestone before?, apart from that it's a predicable proviaional 30 man squad

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭postalservice

Surprised no Young or Downing. He must be taking Johnson so!

Warnock Upson Carrick and Huddlestone to be taken out.

One of Walcott and SWP....or maybe both.

Then I dunno

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Dymo wrote: »
    Am I the only one who never heard of Tom Huddlestone before?,

:eek::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

how in gods name is Carrick in that 30 - he'll be cut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Jamie Carragher
    Stephen Warnock
    Tom Huddlestone
    Shaun Wright-Phillips
    Theo Walcott
    Michael Carrick
    Emile Heskey

should all be dropped, but they won't be. If Carragher goes its laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

Agbonlahor should be in instead of Walcott

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Jamie Carragher
    Stephen Warnock
    Tom Huddlestone
    Shaun Wright-Phillips
    Theo Walcott
    Michael Carrick
    Emile Heskey

who will cover right back then?
    Surprised no Young or Downing. He must be taking Johnson so!

why?
    token56 wrote: »
    Should definitely be in there ahead of Heskey. .

why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Jamie Carragher
    Stephen Warnock
    Tom Huddlestone
    Shaun Wright-Phillips
    Theo Walcott
    Michael Carrick
    Emile Heskey

Carragher wouldn't be in the 30 unless he's been guaranteed a trip to SA. He's there as a utility player. Cover for right back, centre back and defensive midfielder. I highly doubt he'll get any game time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

It's actually not that great a squad IMO.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

bryanjf wrote: »
    Agbonlahor should be in instead of Walcott

I'm not doubting Walcott hasn't been up to standard.

But why the heck would you replace one speed merchant with another?

Agbonlahor is a long way down the list.

Ush1 wrote: »
    It's actually not that great a squad IMO.
    Agreed. If Rooney wasn't fit the would barely make the last 16.

Carragher called up, what a disgrace. Seems Capello has given into media pressure.

Feel for Sol, he must be shattered at that news.

DB10 wrote: »
    Carragher called up, what a disgrace. Seems Capello has given into media pressure.

Feel for Sol, he must be shattered at that news.

what media pressure

again, for all the people questioning carraghers inclusion, who else can cover right back?

Indeed, I must have missed that "Call up Carra" campaign.

• Advertisement

Liverpool have had the worst finish in well over 15 years.

And both England RBs are from Liverpool. Makes sense. At least England will be out early I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

And both England RBs are from Liverpool. Makes sense. At least England will be out early I suppose.

liverpool also were 3rd lowest in terms of goals conceded this season and only conceded 9 in the league since january 1st, once again reina had most clean sheets (along with cech), defense at least in second part of the season wasn't the problem, liverpools problem was scoring goals

event wrote: »
    what media pressure

again, for all the people questioning carraghers inclusion, who else can cover right back?

and left full

3rd best defense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think Capello was in a tough spot for RB, but am surprised that Neville isn't included. Over the past 2 months, he's regained his form in a way that I honestly didn't expect him to. RB is no doubt a problem area for England though, if Johnson gets injuried, could be really problematic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

PHB wrote: »
    I think Capello was in a tough spot for RB, but am surprised that Neville isn't included. Over the past 2 months, he's regained his form in a way that I honestly didn't expect him to. .

You had lower expectations than liability?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

For me, i would love to see him taken to the World Cup. I didn't think he would get the game time at City when he moved there, he went to City ahead of even his boyhood team Sunderland where he was certain of game time.

This for me shows confidence, and when you see him play that Confidence is in abundance. I have only seen him play in the flesh once, and that was against Sunderland, but he is so much more than just hype. He has stood out in a City team full of big names since his move there.

Does he deserve a place ahead of more seasoned England regulars?,yes there needs to be a certain amount of been there done that when it comes to International football, but for me i would have him in the squad.

He's a terrific player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

What does THAT have to do with anything? Portsmouth got relegated, but their goalkeeper is picked...

In the same vane, do you think Reina should be omitted from the Spanish squad?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Worst finish since 1999 as it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

ust heard there Scholsey rejected an invitation to join the squad. Doesn't sound good to be gettin all the old boys back late in the day

(Is there really a need for 2 threads on the same issue?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭postalservice

event wrote: »

why?

Just to have another left mid other than Johnson.

SWP, Lennon and Walcott and Milner (assuming gerrard barry and lampard in centre) are all more right middy types no?

I suppose Cole and Milner and SWP are fairly flexible so ..meh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Im suprised theres no Ashley Young. Scott Parker is a good addition imo. Would of picked Cole over Hesky as he can do the same job but also score!

Carragher was pretty rubbish alot of the time this season. It would piss me off to see a player retired to be called up over someone like Sol who really wanted to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The way I see it, a 23 man squad should have 2 players for every single position and they should be natural in that position, then you have 1 player to plug a gap in the squad. That squad looks void of cover at right back and maybe left mid. No real anchorman either which may cost them against the bigger teams...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Liam O wrote: »
    The way I see it, a 23 man squad should have 2 players for every single position and they should be natural in that position, then you have 1 player to plug a gap in the squad. That squad looks void of cover at right back and maybe left mid. No real anchorman either which may cost them against the bigger teams...

For real?

Not bringing 3 goalkeepers to a major tournament is majorly risky imo. That's why they are allowed 23 man squads - to facilitate 3 Gks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Morzadec wrote: »
    For real?

Not bringing 3 goalkeepers to a major tournament is majorly risky imo. That's why they are allowed 23 man squads - to facilitate 3 Gks

well then the 23rd is a GK, no problems ;)

Just to have another left mid other than Johnson.

SWP, Lennon and Walcott and Milner (assuming gerrard barry and lampard in centre) are all more right middy types no?

I suppose Cole and Milner and SWP are fairly flexible so ..meh

well he plays gerrard on the left, AJ would be back up
    PHB wrote: »
    I think Capello was in a tough spot for RB, but am surprised that Neville isn't included. Over the past 2 months, he's regained his form in a way that I honestly didn't expect him to. RB is no doubt a problem area for England though, if Johnson gets injuried, could be really problematic.

if he takes neville, he cant take king really

the defence picks itself IMO

definately going is cole, terry, rio, johnson.

then you need a cover for cole, so its baines. then you need a CB cover. in this case, it looks like he wants King. now if you take king, you need someone who can cover RB and CB, as there is the possibility of Rio being unable to play and King as well. neville it aint.

if he picked nevill instead of carragher, it means the only centre half is King.

unless of course, he were to take neville, King and lescott as the back ups. It means a dedicated back up for RB, CB and someone who can cover LB and CB. but lescott himself has been injured, so he cant do that.

this isnt direct at you PHB, but a lot of people in this thread seem to think picking a squad for the WC is just a matter of the best 23. usually its picking what the manager perceives to be the best 11 and then back up/cover and different options

• Advertisement

joe123 wrote: »

Carragher was pretty rubbish alot of the time this season. It would piss me off to see a player retired to be called up over someone like Sol who really wanted to go.

I've had this out in match day threads a few times this season.

Carragher has ben getting a lot of stick this season and imo it's from people looking at snapshots of incidents and not looking at the rest of the play. The Forlan goal in the 1st leg of the EC semi was a good example of this. Cara got abuse for not cutting out the cross and againfor not stopping the ball that went in. The simple fact is Carra got dragged out to try block a cross because Johnson (iirc) lost his man and he had a free run. Carathen got back in to nearly get to the ball as it went over the line. How many oher Liverpool players got near the ball in that move, the answer is not one.

He's spent this season , as he is ageing, haveign to do more than he did 5 years ago. Trying to cover weaknesses in the rest of the defence and it's jut not possible all the time. Johnson is very attack minded and the right full position is often exposed because of that. Insua has had a very bad season defensivly. That puts huge strain on the centre of defense and the fact that Liverpool conceeded the 3rd fewest goals is an indication of how much work Carra has had to put in this season.

Capello obviously agrees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Rio, JT, King, Dawson, Johnson all to go with a bit of James Milner as cover at RB ;)

today's the day! the beginning of the end for capello's england!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Oh how I wish this was the Ireland World Cup Squad thread :(

There will be 7 seriously gutted footballers today, wonder will we get a Gazza-like tantrum (1998) from any of them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Heskey to go or not?

Emile Heskey, striker, 58 caps 7 goals. Rene Higuita, keeper, 68 caps 8 goals. Jose Luis Chilavert, keeper, 74 caps 8 goals...

• Advertisement
Advertisement