Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ENGLAND WORLD CUP SQUAD!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Heskey will go.

Lukker- do you get everything off twitter? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Lukker- wrote: »
    Heskey to go or not?

Emile Heskey, striker, 58 caps 7 goals. Rene Higuita, keeper, 68 caps 8 goals. Jose Luis Chilavert, keeper, 74 caps 8 goals...

Thought I read somewhere heskey scored the same amount of goals in the EPL as Danny Sturridge this year, i wouldnt have him waving the English players off to S.Africa let alone in the 23.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Heskey was probably Englands best player in qualifiying apart from Rooney, he will definitely be on the plane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Melion wrote: »
    Heskey was probably Englands best player in qualifiying apart from Rooney, he will definitely be on the plane.

Wouldn't go that far, he was effective though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

SkySports News reporting that Bent is out. Feel sorry for the chap but it is not surprising.

dubmick wrote: »
    SkySports News reporting that Bent is out. Feel sorry for the chap but it is not surprising.

Deserves to be ahead of Defoe IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Walcott out apparently

Yes! (hopefully that means SWP or Adam Johnson is in)

Guardian say its official

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Walcott out apparently

Not suprised. SWP/Johnson would be infintely more effective and thats coming from an Arsenal fan...

I feel kinda bad for the guy but it's only fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

mike65 wrote: »
    Yes! (hopefully that means SWP or Adam Johnson is in)

Guardian say its official
    Guardian is not that reliable these days unfortunately.

AJ out as well seemingly :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Sky News sources say no Bent either. No really a shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Heskey ahead of Bent is crazy. 8 goals in 10 years gets you in a place?

I think you are looking through the telescope backwards, Rooney + Heskey 8 goals in 10 games, Rooney - Heskey no goals in 4 games or something like that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

keano_afc wrote: »
    Heskey ahead of Bent is crazy. 8 goals in 10 years gets you in a place?
    Ya it is pretty shocking. Seems Capello seems to favour "experience"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

IN: Joe Cole, SWP and Carrick
    OUT: Bent, Johnson, and Walcott

According to reports

Thing is with Heskey playing Rooney scored 9 in 10, without Heskey he scored 2 in 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

If you're on Twitter, it's all going off.

Follow http://twitter.com/bpfootball and we'll have up-to-the-second updates.

• Advertisement

Walcott, Bent, Baines, Johnson all missing out.

Joe Cole, SWP, Defoe, Carrick amongst those in.

I think Walcott is going to be the only real surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I must say, I think it'd be a big mistake to leave out Adam Johnson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    IN: Joe Cole, SWP and Carrick
    OUT: Bent, Johnson, and Walcott

According to reports

Surprised Johnson hasn't made it - looked good in recent games and for City. Carrick shouldn't be there - has been very poor for most of the season for both United and England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

PHB wrote: »
    I must say, I think it'd be a big mistake to leave out Adam Johnson.

Deffo. He's looked very good for City in the last few months. Seems to be decent on set pieces as well.

Walcott is no loss at all. Can't shoot, can't cross, can't pass etc...

Not suprised by Johnsons ommission, think this world cup is just a year or 2 early for the lad. Don't think he'll be too dissappointed though, considering where he was 6 months ago.

• Advertisement

Bent is exactly the type of player you don't want with Rooney. A goalscorer that can do nothing else.

Heskey has proven himself for England with Wayne Rooney as his partner, I just don't understand how people can compare Heskey and Bent. Its like comparing a Ferrari and a Tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Cant believe Walcott is left out. SWP has hardly set the world on fire this season, and Walcott has goals in him too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

no Johnson is unfortunate for the lad, but he'll have his moment in the future. Capello was always going to trust Joe Cole as the something 'a little bit different' this time.

i'd have still brought him as another 'something different'!

people should really stop being surprised by Heskey's inclusion. it's blatantly obvious he's Rooney's preferred strike partner, and Capello's.

Carrick was also a bit of a no-brainer. there's no way Capello was going to trust an untested Huddlestone, when Carrick is a proven winner (even though his form is obviously poor). Parker was unfortunately never in the running really, even though I'd have had him there.

Bent's exclusion isn't surprising. i really think he could have done a job for them though. Defoe is out of form, and Bent is just one of those players who knows how to score goals. I think Capello's problem with him is there's not enough else to his game- his touch and link-up play is all a bit meh - Capello seemingly won't sacrifice that for a poacher.

Thank God Walcott didn't make it - Capello seems to have finally given up on getting him to replicate that one game versus Croatia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

how does carrick do it ?

stays at utd and now playing in the WC but he's awful

Headshot wrote: »
    how does carrick do it ?

stays at utd and now playing in the WC but he's awful
    He had a bad season but he is an experienced international. He was always going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

keano_afc wrote: »
    and Walcott has goals in him too.

Meh. 4 goals and 3 assists in 30 appearances for Arsenal this season. No loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭baldbear

Heskey is a striker and he can't scoe goals and he missed an awful header against Japan.I thought he wouldn't make it. I'm a bit surprised at Walcott. Thought he would have done well this summer.

SWP is an on odd replacement for Walcott, both were average this season. The kit numbers will be interesting, wonder will they be of any indication of his preferred starting line-up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

eagle eye wrote: »
    He had a bad season but he is an experienced international. He was always going.

bad season

he's been muck for a few seasons now, huddlestone was great last season and offers alot more than carrick ever would.

Carrick was always going, experienced and a proven winner. Even though Huddlestone and Parker played a lot better than him this year they do not have the experience that Carrick has and the big game mentality that Carrick has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

baldbear wrote: »
    Heskey is a striker and he can't scoe goals and he missed an awful header against Japan.

his partnership with Rooney is the best England have.

and if England are to win the tournament, they have to get the best out of Rooney, simple as that.

Heskey is vital to England, whether we like it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Two unlucky World Cup squad selections for Bent now - feel sorry for the chap!

SlickRic wrote: »

Heskey is vital to England, whether we like it or not.

We? ;) Get back to your couch and think of what might have been :pac:

Twitter is great!!

Unconfirmed...No King but Dawson is going.

King out, Dawson in (unconfirmed)

• Advertisement

Holy moly.

Unconfirmed from Oliver Kay that Ledley King misses out for his teammate Dawson.

Didn't see that comng.

Headshot wrote: »
    bad season

he's been muck for a few seasons now, huddlestone was great last season and offers alot more than carrick ever would.
    Oh I give up on you. I'm not even a United fan but I am well aware of your dislike for Carrick.

Twitter is great!!

Unconfirmed...No King but Dawson is going.

Thats crazy if true, was certain King was in after his friendly starts and with Dawson not even getting a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Bent is exactly the type of player you don't want with Rooney. A goalscorer that can do nothing else.

Heskey has proven himself for England with Wayne Rooney as his partner, I just don't understand how people can compare Heskey and Bent. Its like comparing a Ferrari and a Tank.

Please don't say you are using a Ferrari as a comparison to Heskey?!?!

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Holy moly.

Unconfirmed from Oliver Kay that Ledley King misses out for his teammate Dawson.

Didn't see that comng.
    King's fitness had to be the biggest call.

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Holy moly.

Didn't see that comng.
    King is too injury prone imo, great player but you couldn't trust that he would be fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    the big game mentality that Carrick has.

Ferguson no longer thinks so, considering how he was dropped at end of season after costing United goals.

Oh I give up on you. I'm not even a United fan but I am well aware of your dislike for Carrick.

He's just a dislikable guy, its the haircut that does it for me. And the lack of talent.

How did Upson make it, should be bringing both Dawson and King. King must not be up to a full tournament

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Hmmm didn't see much of the English friendlies but a lot of the press were saying that King didn't play that well all he offered was a set piece goal.

Advertisement