Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ENGLAND WORLD CUP SQUAD!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

eagle eye wrote: »
    Oh I give up on you. I'm not even a United fan but I am well aware of your dislike for Carrick.

dislike ?

i judge him on playing for utd and he's far from good enough for utd and now gets into the England team, laughable tbh

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Didnt' see Dawson getting in but he really has had a great season. Spurs player of the year AFAIK?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

What's the story with them releasing the squad in dribs and drabs? SSN are loving it but it just seems like poor form to me.
    keano_afc wrote: »
    Heskey ahead of Bent is crazy. 8 goals in 10 years gets you in a place?

Bent was competing with Defoe, not Heskey, for a place in the squad. Heskey's not there to score goals anyway, he's there to get the best out of Rooney, Gerrard and Lampard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Heard Baines missed out coz he was homesick, just speculation of course but a pathetic excuse if true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Bent is exactly the type of player you don't want with Rooney. A goalscorer that can do nothing else.

Heskey has proven himself for England with Wayne Rooney as his partner, I just don't understand how people can compare Heskey and Bent. Its like comparing a Ferrari and a Tank.
    SlickRic wrote: »
    his partnership with Rooney is the best England have.

and if England are to win the tournament, they have to get the best out of Rooney, simple as that.

Heskey is vital to England, whether we like it or not.

Before anymore Heskey comments can people read the above 2 posts please? Its pretty obvious the reason he's going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

SWP is 100% in. He just text City to let them know.

Ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

s_carnage wrote: »
    Please don't say you are using a Ferrari as a comparison to Heskey?!?!
    No Heskey is the tank. Bent is the Ferrari.

Bent is fine running in a straight line with the ball ahead of him but England don't sit back very deep and counter so a Ferrari is no good to them.

You want somebody who can battle hard, win ball against big, tough defenders and bring others into the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

This is all a bit of a farce, all this coming out in drips and drabs. Not really fair to the players. Should have really gathered them all together told the seven and then straight away went into a press conference to announce the squad.
    This is just a farce. A sign of things to come for England tournament, maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

An Citeog wrote: »
    What's the story with them releasing the squad in dribs and drabs? SSN are loving it but it just seems like poor form to me.

As I wrote elsewhere -

Why not preempt the media by making an announcement at say 8 am having informed all parties overnight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

well as soon as a player finds out he isnt picked, no doubt he is onto his mates to let them know to book the villa in Ibiza next week. Said mates would let the media know pretty sharpish, thats why its coming out.

Its strange the way he has done it, but i dont think its a major scandal the way people are finding out. Sure the players know themselves if they are going, they are all that matter really

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    dislike ?

i judge him on playing for utd and he's far from good enough for utd and now gets into the England team, laughable tbh
    Let me see, 3 Premier League titles, 1 Champion's League in four years at United. First choice for United for almost all of that time and you say he is not good enough.

I think I'll take Alex Ferguson's decision to pick him regularly as proof that he is good enough. I think I'll take Fabio Capello's decision to bring him to the World Cup over Huddlestone as more proof of just how highly regarded the lad is.

Tell me how you could possibly be right when two of the best managers of all time have stuck with him even through a rough patch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Why would Capello care if the news comes in dribs and drabs? All that matters to him is that he tells the players in the right way, of which personal phone calls is the right way to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Heard Baines missed out coz he was homesick, just speculation of course but a pathetic excuse if true.

It'll be very interesting to see how Jesus Navas does with Spain then. He's notorious for his homesickness and its cost him a few moves too

King is an interesting one, has to be concerns over his fitness. Walcott, non entity. Shouldn't have even been in the 30 in the first place and its a shame A. Johnson isn't going.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Carrick had a pretty horrible season tbh, and unless he really picks his form up, will be a waste of a spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

event wrote: »
    well as soon as a player finds out he isnt picked, no doubt he is onto his mates to let them know to book the villa in Ibiza next week. Said mates would let the media know pretty sharpish, thats why its coming out.

Its strange the way he has done it, but i dont think its a major scandal the way people are finding out. Sure the players know themselves if they are going, they are all that matter really

Nah, apparently Capello is only phoning players who haven't made it. Walcott was on a golf course when he got the news and it was probably leaked through a friend or the the golf club itself. Could have saved some players a bit of embarrassment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

The battle for the bench.:D

Chances are the players who "made" it are extremely unlikely to get on the pitch at all and are basically there to make up the numbers in training.

Also the Walcott decision just reinforces how bad of a decision it was by Sven to take him to the World Cup last time around.

Warnock over Baines is a bit of a shocker imo - Warnock being clearly the poorest of the Villa back four by quite some distance this season.

Bent probably the unluckiest but can understand the logic in picking Defoe ahead of him even though Defoe's form in the second half of the season wasn't great - Defoe has international pedigree, also if Rooney did get injured it would be a case of Crouch and Defoe up-front, which clearly is a partnership that works pretty well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

?

well yeah, thats what i said really

im sure he told the players that if you havent had a call by say, 2 o clock, you're in.

what embarrassment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Delighted Walcott has been left out. It might make him realise that he needs to improve greatly. Absolute rubbish for most of last season.

Any one else thinking that the delay was due to Capello trying to get in contact with Bridge and make a final plea for him to forgive and forget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

optajoe
    34% - Theo Walcott's dribble success in the 2009-10 PL, the only Arsenal player with a lower rate was William Gallas (33%). Omitted.

Lol

• Advertisement

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Any one else thinking that the delay was due to Capello trying to get in contact with Bridge and make a final plea for him to forgive and forget

Nope.

Warnock over Baines is a bit of a shocker imo - Warnock being clearly the poorest of the Villa back four by quite some distance this season.
    I don't agree, I think it was very close between them. And he played well this season. I'd agree he was the poorest of the Villa back four but there is no shame in that, they were all exceptionally good this season.
    Warnock was brilliant playing a holding midfield role for Blackburn during the second half of last season and that probably adds to his worth for England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Chances are the players who "made" it are extremely unlikely to get on the pitch at all and are basically there to make up the numbers in training.

QUOTE]

Doubt it. If England have qualified after two games I can see the entire team being rested for their 3rd match. There would be no point in risking yellow cards and injuries if they have the job done already.

Also certain players will be good impact subs e.g Milner, Joe Cole and Defoe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭doyler442

Anyone surprised by Adam Johnson not being brought along as the "wildcard" similar to Walcott four years ago?

Thought he had a good season and a left legged player is always a good addition - especially with England being so poor down the left.

For some reason I feel he could have made a difference there for them.

I don't agree, I think it was very close between them. And he played well this season. I'd agree he was the poorest of the Villa back four but there is no shame in that, they were all exceptionally good this season.
    Warnock was brilliant playing a holding midfield role for Blackburn during the second half of last season and that probably adds to his worth for England.

Any of the times I saw Warnock this season he seemed very average to me.
    Any of the times I saw Baines I thought he played well.
    Might be just the games I saw but would have Baines far ahead of Warnock on the basis of this season.

Really can't see Warnock even remotely being used in the holding midfield role.

[And that's as a Pool supporter who likes Warnock as one of our old lads and has no love for Baines as a blue]

Let me see, 3 Premier League titles, 1 Champion's League in four years at United. First choice for United for almost all of that time and you say he is not good enough.

I think I'll take Alex Ferguson's decision to pick him regularly as proof that he is good enough. I think I'll take Fabio Capello's decision to bring him to the World Cup over Huddlestone as more proof of just how highly regarded the lad is.

Tell me how you could possibly be right when two of the best managers of all time have stuck with him even through a rough patch?

i laugh at that argument
    Traoré has a cl medal does that make him a superb player ?
    no!

carrick was in the team because scholes carried him the whole time and he's bad performances werent highlighted because of utd consistently winning and playing well because of Ronaldo
    saf hasnt picked carrick regularly this season because he's ****e, cost utd numerous goals too

its a bit of injustice that a player which has been god awful for utd and cost us goals gets to go to the wc

England in the group games will be rotating their team to give game time to players like Milner, Cole and Defoe who might be called upon in the knockout games. England have a relatively easy group so they should not tire out their starting team by playing them in the 3 group games. He will be trying different formations in the games and different partnerships

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Barry is off to SA.

Headshot wrote: »
    i laugh at that argument
    Traoré has a cl medal does that make him a superb player ?
    no!

carrick was in the team because scholes carried him the whole time and he's bad performances werent highlighted because of utd consistently winning and playing well because of Ronaldo
    saf hasnt picked carrick regularly this season because he's ****e, cost utd numerous goals too

its a bit of injustice that a player which has been god awful for utd and cost us goals gets to go to the wc
    Did he play well in 08/09?

I remember you giving out yards about him back then too. As I said earlier you just have some sort of unnatural hate for the guy.
    I'm not disagreeing on this season but at the end of the day he is an experienced player in high pressure games and an experienced international.

• Advertisement

Mezcita wrote: »

Doubt it. If England have qualified after two games I can see the entire team being rested for their 3rd match. There would be no point in risking yellow cards and injuries if they have the job done already.

Also certain players will be good impact subs e.g Milner, Joe Cole and Defoe.

Don't think England will manage to qualify with 2 games even with their soft group - also I don't think many were arguing over whether Milner or Defoe would be dropped today. J.Cole okay but for the vast majority of the players who "made" it into the final squad positions are unlikely to feature.

OT: Anyone remember the French guy who was pretty much last man in the squad at either the World Cup or the Euros who made a film about the whole experience?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I remember you giving our yards about him back then too. As I said earlier you just have some sort of unnatural hate for the guy.

No, it's not hate, Carrick is just crap.

1411: BBC sports news correspondent Dan Roan says he has it on good authority that Ledley King is IN the England World Cup squad.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Barry is off to SA.
    and Ledley King ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

And so is King.

So who isn't? I'm confussed.

Its Terry isn't it? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,518 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The 4 teams who make the semi finals usually end up playing about 18 of their 20 outfield players so theres is no real 'making up the numbers'. A few injuries and a few suspensions is all it takes.

I remember you giving our yards about him back then too. As I said earlier you just have some sort of unnatural hate for the guy.
    I'm not disagreeing, he did not have a great season but a lot of that comes down to a lot of changes in the defense too.

I though you were giving up ?

giving yards

cant remember that tbh, that was a while back tbf, he had probably only 2 fair seasons at utd, of course i hate the guy, he cost utd numerous goals last season and hasnt looked bothered

the defence argument again :rolleyes: does the defence stop a player passing the ball or playing well, please dont give me that ****e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I remember you giving out yards about him back then too. As I said earlier you just have some sort of unnatural hate for the guy.
    I'm not disagreeing on this season but at the end of the day he is an experienced player in high pressure games and an experienced international.

Eagle eye in fairness all carrick does or did in a UTD short was walk in horizontal lines of 2 or 3 metres and pass the ball. He spends far too much time on the ball too and is always getting caught out. Hes really rubbish imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

So who has made the cut so far?

king is on the plane according to ssn

• Advertisement

Dawson is out I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Hope Milner will be starting. I'd love to see Gerrard on the bench.

From what we've heard I'd assume the squad is as follows.

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart, David James, Robert Green.

Defenders: Jamie Carragher, Ashley Cole, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock.

Midfielders: Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Shaun Wright-Phillips.

Forwards: Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney.

Not Going
    Leighton Baines
    Darren Bent
    Tom Huddlestone
    Scott Parker
    Theo Walcott
    Adam Johnson
    Michael Dawson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Delighted Walcott has been left out. It might make him realise that he needs to improve greatly. Absolute rubbish for most of last season.

See I think Walcott just isn't good enough and never will be. He is an amazing athlete trying to play football.

killwill wrote: »
    See I think Walcott just isn't good enough and never will be. He is an amazing athlete trying to play football.
    FFS, he is only 21 he has his whole career ahead of him still.

OT: Anyone remember the French guy who was pretty much last man in the squad at either the World Cup or the Euros who made a film about the whole experience?
    Dhorasso if I am correct, used to play for AC Milan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Its a joke Parker didn't even get a sub appearance in either of the 2 friendlys, apart from Milner he has been the outstanding English midfielder the past year.

FFS, he is only 21 he has his whole career ahead of him still.

he doesnt have a football brain

here's what Chris Waddle said about him
    http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/football/article-23811842-theo-walcott-has-no-football-brain-says-chris-waddle.do

I would probably agree with him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Waddle was the same as Walcott at that age!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

ADAM JOHNSON MISSES OUT
    Adam Johnson has been left out of the squad according to Sky sources but SWP and Joe Cole make it...
    SSN.

• Advertisement
Advertisement