Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ENGLAND WORLD CUP SQUAD!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Dhorasso if I am correct, used to play for AC Milan.

We had Vikash Dhorasoo for a season after the european cup. Was a handy enough little player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Just looking at that squad of 23 [especially the outfield 20] and the age profile, I wouldn't be surprised if Rngland are well up there in terms of the average squad age. Looks like a fair few who could be gone for the Euros and will probably be definately gone for the next World Cup. If Capello stays on he could have a fair bit of rebuilding to do especially in terms of squad depth.

Jamie Carragher 32
    Emile Heskey 32
    Rio Ferdinand 31
    Matthew Upson 31
    Frank Lampard 31
    Steven Gerrard 30
    Ledley King 29
    Ashley Cole 29
    John Terry 29
    Gareth Barry 29
    Stephen Warnock 28
    Michael Carrick 28
    Joe Cole 28
    Shaun Wright-Phillips 28
    Jermain Defoe 27
    Peter Crouch 29
    Glen Johnson 25
    James Milner 24
    Wayne Rooney 24
    Aaron Lennon 23

Break-down of Clubs
    Chelsea 4
    Spurs 4
    Liverpool 3
    Utd 3
    Villa 3
    City 2
    West Ham 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

From what we've heard I'd assume the squad is as follows.

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart, David James, Robert Green.

Defenders: Jamie Carragher, Ashley Cole, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock.

Midfielders: Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Shaun Wright-Phillips.

Forwards: Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney.

Not Going
    Leighton Baines
    Darren Bent
    Tom Huddlestone
    Scott Parker
    Theo Walcott
    Adam Johnson
    Michael Dawson

This is how Football365 are seeing it now anyway. Surprised at SWP over Johnson and feel for Dawson after such a fantastic season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

I'm surprised Bent wasn't picked considering all the goals he scored this season for Sunderland.

eagle eye wrote: »
    FFS, he is only 21 he has his whole career ahead of him still.

While it does seem crazy to write Walcott off at such a young age, the thing that stands out about him is just how little his game has developed in the four years since the last world cup. He's probably marginally better but he still looks like he doesn't have that instinctive feel for the game. If he can't develop at Arsenal under Arsene Wenger then you have to worry if he will remain as more of a speed merchant than a footballer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

While it does seem crazy to write Walcott off at such a young age, the thing that stands out about him is just how little his game has developed in the four years since the last world cup. He's probably marginally better but he still looks like he doesn't have that instinctive feel for the game. If he can't develop at Arsenal under Arsene Wenger then you have to worry if he will remain as more of a speed merchant than a footballer.

David Bellion mk11?

David Bellion factoid. in 2001 he won the national indoor 60 meter champion ships in France.
    He also made his first team debut for Sunderland.

Seaneh wrote: »
    David Bellion mk11?

Think Bellion was a bit cheaper at least - Walcott cost £5m minimun with supposedly another £7m in add-ons. Looking a pretty step price now as I'd imagine that a fair chunk of the add-ons will probably have been paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

No for me the problem that Walcott has is that he has been too injury prone. He even showed what he can do for England against Croatia. He had a bad season but I still think he will improve if he can stay injury free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Jamie Carragher

Really can't see why hes in this squad.People have said its as a back up right back, but surely Gary Neville merits inclusion more. And he shouldn't be there as a back up centre back, Terry/Ferdinand/King/Dawson all better players by far. A waning power, more a liability than an asset at this stage.
    Emile Heskey

What can be said that hasn't already been said. The guy prob wouldn't score if he was inside the goals, but he compliments Rooney well, and England are a better side with him in the first 11. Most likely his last international tournament.

Rio Ferdinand

Undoubtably one of the best defenders around when hes at his peak, but unfortunately all the injurys seem to have added up, hes past his best. Definately still worth a place in the starting 11 though. I have a feeling he may retire from international football after this tournament, to prolong his Man.Utd. career.
    Matthew Upson

A decent back up, and a solid enough preformer for a mid tier Premiership team. But thats all hes ever going to be. Maybe worth inclusion for his experience at this level, but hard to justify his inclusion form-wise over someone like Dawson.
    Frank Lampard

A fantastic player for Chelsea, who has never quite done it for England reguarly. If anyone can get the best out of him, its Capello, but wouldn't be surprised to see him dropped for Milner soon. Another I can see maybe retiring after this tournament.
    Steven Gerrard
    One of the best players in the world on his day, but hasn't had the greatest season. Needs to be at his best if England are to have any chance of doing well this summer.
    Ledley King
    The guy is a walking miracle. Barely trains, can't[only recently at least] play more than one game in a space of time. Yet when he plays, he constantly is the best defender in the league[better than Rio and JT] . I can't see any England fan being too upset if they reached the semis and Rio or JT got injured, and King had to replace them.
    Ashley Cole
    The best English player in his position by about 500million miles.
    John Terry
    Not been his best this season, but still world class.
    Gareth Barry
    Not the most talented player in the world, and certainly Hargreeves if available would be the preferable option,but he isn't, and Barry being fit is essential to Englands chances.
    Stephen Warnock
    Not much between him and Baines for the back up left back slot, but he prob deserves it based on his preformances this season, and his ability to play the holding midfielder role.
    Michael Carrick
    Should not be in the squad. Hardly played for Utd the last few months, Sir Alex lost confidence in him , and has lost confidence in himself. Parker would have been a much better selection.
    Jole Cole
    Can't really argue with him getting picked. Has the ability to pull something magical out of nowhere. Could be an important player if he gets the chance.
    Shaun Wright-Phillips
    Had a similarly mediocre season as Walcott, but deserves to be ahead of Walcott based on international preformances. Has no right being in the squad ahead of Adam Johnson though.
    Jermain Defoe
    Had a poor 2nd half of the season, but is he proven at this level, and is a fantastic impact sub to have.
    Peter Crouch
    Can't really argue with his goal record for England, it is fantastic. But the team functions alot better with Heskey in the starting 11.
    Glen Johnson
    Fantastic Right winger, average right back. The best choice they have for the position though, unless Miach Richards gets back to his best.
    James Milner
    No surprise hes in the squad, considering the season hes had. Hard to fit him into the team, but can't imagine few having any complaints if Lampard was dropped for him.
    Wayne Rooney
    One of the best players in the world. Head and shoulders above the rest of this England team.
    Aaron Lennon
    The best option for the right wing, save maybe Adam Johnson. Could be big player if he plays well.
    Joe Hart
    Should be England number 1 out of the 3 keepers selected, had a fantastic season. Needs to leave Man City , as its unlikely he'll displace Shay anytime soon.
    David James
    Great experience, but too prone to errors. Good squad member.
    Robert Green
    Consistantly average at best. Really amazed how he can be in the squad, and Paul Robinson , a player with 40 caps and who has had a fantastic season, isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Walcott cost 9 million in the end as I recall, Southampton were strapped for cash so they agreed for some cash up front to write off the rest of the add-ons.

This is good news for Arsenal anyway. Walcott's been blighted with constant injuries over the past four years and he needs to stay fit if he's going to improve. World Cups eat into pre-seasons and that's the last thing he needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

England squad announcement is now 16:00 according to BBC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

ffs why are some sports news reporters on the radio starting their report with 'Theo Wallcott has been left out of the england squad' wow you'd swear everyone expected him to be in it or something ffs..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I reckon most people expected him to be included, regardles of whether they thought he deserved to be included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

ffs why are some sports news reporters on the radio starting their report with 'Theo Wallcott has been left out of the england squad' wow you'd swear everyone expected him to be in it or something ffs..

he seems to play virtually every game for England.

it is a surprise, no matter how cr*p we all know he's been.

SlickRic wrote: »
    he seems to play virtually every game for England.

it is a surprise, no matter how cr*p we all know he's been.

Hmm just seen an interesting fact, Wallcoot has 11 caps for England and in all of those games England have won, averaging more than 3 goals a game. Bad decision by Capello leaving out his lucky charm if nothing else?

• Advertisement

Walcott doesnt dererve to be on the plane.

SWP gets in now I presume- another player who flatters to deceive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Really like Capello after being brave enough to leave Walcott out. I think Walcott is poo, all pace nothing else, but I can see a lot of people not happy about it but I think Capellos right, he doesnt deserve a place. I would have him just about in the Irish squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Darren Bent is "gutted"

http://twitter.com/DB11TT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

And that's that... 6/7 confirmed, just Dawson to go.

Parker, Bent, Baines, Walcott, Huddlestone, Johnson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Feel sorry for Walcott. Hat-trick against Croatia one minute and then not going to the WC the next. Harsh. I do think he had a below-par season but I think he is a better option of the bench than Wright-Phillips.

Not surprised Bent didn't make it as I never felt he would carry his club form into the international scene. I think Agbonlahor would have been a better guy to take a look at.

• Advertisement

So Upson is better than Dawson?

what he left out Jonhson, ah man hes been top drawer all season, the type of exciting winger England need

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

feel sorry for bent, what more could he have done really!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

what he left out Jonhson, ah man hes been top drawer all season, the type of exciting winger England need
    Minimal international experience. Same with Dawson. If they had played one or two of the qualifiers they would be going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

mike65 wrote: »

I know. That will be the worst decision for me if it's true when the squad's announced

Is the squad confirmed yet?

I was just thinking there that Dawson and Barry could both get in yet. SWP might not get in. That would still leave Lennon, Milner and Joe Cole for the wide spots.

And if Capello is seriously considering 3-5-2 then Glen Johnson is also included for that wingback role.

KerranJast wrote: »
    Minimal international experience. Same with Dawson. If they had played one or two of the qualifiers they would be going.

They have tonnes of experience already, the boy Johnson looks like he has what it takes to become a hit in the WC and give good performances off the bench

mike65 wrote: »

again, it continues Capello's theme of keeping with tried and tested over form in picking this squad, which i might add, goes against what he claimed he would do when he came into the job. he said he'd always pick on form.

Upson over Dawson.
    Carrick over Huddlestone and Parker.
    Cole over Johnson.

Carragher being brought back in - experience and versatility over form in the Premiership.

I'm not saying Capello's wrong, but as soon as I heard Carragher had been brought back in, it was pretty obvious Capello wanted battle hardened experience over form, if given the choice.

SlickRic wrote: »
    again, it continues Capello's theme of keeping with tried and tested over form in picking this squad, which i might add, goes against what he claimed he would do when he came into the job. he said he'd always pick on form.

Upson over Dawson.
    Carrick over Huddlestone and Parker.
    Cole over Johnson.

Carragher being brought back in - experience and versatility over form in the Premiership.

I'm not saying Capello's wrong, but as soon as I heard Carragher had been brought back in, it was pretty obvious Capello wanted battle hardened experience over form, if given the choice.
    I can honestly say that with the exception of SWP I would be in full agreement with what looks like being his squad.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Michael Dawson if you do not get picked can I introduce you to Twitter. It's where all the good stuff happens :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

England squad confirmed on TheFA.com now, seven who miss out are Baines, Dawson, Huddlestone, Parker, Adam Johnson, Walcott, Bent.

I can honestly say that with the exception of SWP I would be in full agreement with what looks like being his squad.

by and large, me too.

but i'd honestly include Dawson and Johnson in the category of those i'd have included though. SWP is too similar to Lennon; i think Johnson would offer more in terms of something different, and is a natural left-footer on top of it.

Walcott's omission will be the big, brave decision i'm most impressed with, considering he's seemed nailed on for so long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

England's 23-man squad for the World Cup finals:
    Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Manchester City), David James (Portsmouth), Robert Green (West Ham).
    Defenders: Jamie Carragher (Liverpool), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Ledley King (Tottenham), John Terry (Chelsea), Matthew Upson (West Ham), Stephen Warnock (Aston Villa).
    Midfielders: Gareth Barry (Manchester City), Michael Carrick (Manchester United), Joe Cole (Chelsea), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Aaron Lennon (Tottenham), James Milner (Aston Villa), Shaun Wright-Phillips (Manchester City).
    Forwards: Peter Crouch (Tottenham), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham), Emile Heskey (Aston Villa), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United).

no left sided midfilelder?? am i wrong?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Isnt Joe Cole a left winger (nope, apparently not)? Feel sorry for Dawson, as he definitely deserved to go. Glad to see King in there though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Carrick over Parker for me is the big mistake - having a real combative midfielder should of been a priority.

So then just the one largish surprise and a couple of selections that could have gone either way (Baines/Warnock Upson/Dawson). Solid if unspectacular squad, but then you could say that about every Italian and German party for donkeys years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Nozebleed wrote: »
    no left sided midfilelder?? am i wrong?

If it is Heskey and Rooney up front then Gerrard will play out there I would guess

Kiith wrote: »
    Isnt Joe Cole a left winger (nope, apparently not)? Feel sorry for Dawson, as he definitely deserved to go. Glad to see King in there though.

by left midfielder i mean left footed winger!! such as downing. total madness not bringing a player who can cross on the run. joe cole definately cant. neither can ashley cole for that matter. england wont win the cup..not without a left winger! cant be done.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

For once England have a manager who picks the squad he wants and doesn't let the media sway his decision although surprisingly a lot of the media agree with his decision.

by left midfielder i mean left footed winger!! such as downing. total madness not bringing a player who can cross on the run. joe cole definately cant. neither can ashley cole for that matter. england wont win the cup..not without a left winger! cant be done.
    Maybe you should have a look back and see if it has been done before. Like maybe even the last world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

I'm laughing at that squad. No left wingers as other have said when they have such fine lefties in Adam Johnson and Ashley Young(is he injured?).

But I think Capello has shown his desperation in begging Carragher(who accepted) and Scholes(who didn't) to come back. There is a distinct lack of quality in some areas in the England squad. Their biggest problems are that they lack a retainer ala Xavi/Scholes, a decent forward to compliment Rooney, now - left winger, and the center of defense with an aging Ferdinand and Terry partnership backed up by a crocked King and Upson? I guess it is more of a problem with English football as a whole: quality isn't there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I'd have had Johnson over SWP as the wildcard myself, granted he's no experience but Lennon is pretty much a better version of SWP in every respects. Johnson's youth and left foot bring something a little different.

And Carrick ahead of Parker seems silly. Carrick has been absolutely awful for club and country this year and Parker has been the only consistent figure in WHU. Having said that Carrick'll probably go on and play a blinder now, what with him being fresh having been dropped for the run in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

And Carrick ahead of Parker seems silly. Carrick has been absolutely awful for club and country this year and Parker has been the only consistent figure in WHU. Having said that Carrick'll probably go on and play a blinder now, what with him being fresh having been dropped for the run in.

Yep,I'm absoloutely disgusted at Michael Carrick being picked ahead of Scott Parker....It's sickening

Maybe you should have a look back and see if it has been done before. Like maybe even the last world cup.

Del Piero? no? i think he was in the squad and he had a massive impact on the games he was inolved in.

• Advertisement

Del Piero? no? i think he was in the squad and he had a massive impact on the games he was inolved in.
    Del Piero is right footed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭secman

England have no chance of winning it, don't care what Motty says !
    Not enough cover in defence, not enough cover in midfield and only one international forward .. Rooney.

Secman

A fit Gareth Barry or revitalised Carrick is the key to their chances.

While Barry has been selected they can still drop him if he gets 'seriously injured' more than 24 hours before their first game and bring in Huddlestone or Parker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

secman wrote: »
    England have no chance of winning it, don't care what Motty says !
    Not enough cover in defence, not enough cover in midfield and only one international forward .. Rooney.

Secman
    England have plenty of quality attacking options in midfield to support Rooney. Italy won the last World Cup with a frankly ****e forward line. Organisation and a top defence win International tournaments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

FatherTed wrote: »
    I'm laughing at that squad. No left wingers as other have said when they have such fine lefties in Adam Johnson and Ashley Young(is he injured?).

Nah Ash Young ain't injured, had a decent end of season as well after a poor 2009 but Capello doesn't fancy him which is fair enough. Would've taken him over SWP or Johnson as he has more games this season, delivers a better final ball then either mentioned and can cover both flanks.

Congrats to the 3 Villa boys in the squad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement