Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ENGLAND WORLD CUP SQUAD!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Fair play to Capello, Walcott can only live off a hat trick against Croatia for so long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Yep,I'm absoloutely disgusted at Michael Carrick being picked ahead of Scott Parker....It's sickening

I must point out that, as a Manchester United supporter, I completely agree.

Watched the England v Mexico game and didn't even realise Carrick was on the pitch. For a tall man he can be very invisible at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

The left winger thing isn't a problem really as Ashley Cole is one of the best attacking full backs in the World. Looking back at Italy in 2006 and Spain in 2008, Grosso and Capdevila respectively did the majority of attacking down the left hand side with the nominal left midfielder cutting inside to help out in midfield.

With a fully fit team, Capello will probably start Gerrard on the left with A.Cole overlapping, Barry & Lampard in the middle, Lennon on the right with Heskey up front and Rooney in the "hole". That was their most effective lineup in qualifying and would do damage against most sides.

He also has several other interesting options like starting Milner in place of Heskey, moving Gerrard into the hole with Rooney up front and having Milner and Lennon on alternate flanks. He could also start Joe Cole to play off Rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Ush1 wrote: »
    Fair play to Capello, Walcott can only live off a hat trick against Croatia for so long.

Too right. I think most defenders in the world have copped on that all he's going to do is knock it past you and run on. The key is to allow him to cross the ball. 9/10 times a defender will intercept it.

With his pace he might be a decent striker if someone tried to convert him. Because he definitely can't cross the ball as a winger!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Its like the Brazil squad. The Full backs will do most of the attacking/crossing. The wingers will usually cut in or help out the Centre mids. An important part in the team is Gerrard (Who will be the Robinho role) and the DM they are 2 of the most important men in it also Rooney to hold it up and score ala Luis Fabiano.

Average enough squad compared to the top teams.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Reacting to the decision, Walcott said: "I am very disappointed not to be included in the squad going out to South Africa, but completely respect Mr Capello's decision.

"I would like to wish the team the best of luck and hope they have a really successful tournament."
    Good lad.

Though I don't echo his well wishing; I think I may be cheering for the US on June 12th :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

What does Darren Bent have to do to get into the squad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

greetings wrote: »
    What does Darren Bent have to do to get into the squad?

Kidnap Emile Heskey :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I'd have taken him before Heskey. If Bent was a foreign player playing like he does in the league he'd be going to Chelsea or United.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I'd have taken him before Heskey.

ask Rooney who he'd prefer to play with.
    If Bent was a foreign player playing like he does in the league he'd be going to Chelsea or United.

no he wouldn't; his all-round game is not near good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭SeanKev

Yep,I'm absoloutely disgusted at Michael Carrick being picked ahead of Scott Parker....It's sickening

A fcuking joke.

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

SeanKev wrote: »
    A fcuking joke, Walcott over AJ too?

Have you been under a rock for the last few hours ?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭SeanKev

x PyRo wrote: »
    Have you been under a rock for the last few hours ?.

Never mind :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

SlickRic wrote: »

Absolutely nail hit squarely on head twice

Stats regarding Rooney's goal scoring record for England:

Last 10 matches with Heskey in team: 10 goals
    Last 10 matches without Heskey: 2 goals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭AlmostFamous

There are 3 players who I don't think justify their place in the English World cup squad...
    Heskey - I know Rooney prefers to be partnered along side him but Rooney is a professional and should be able to strike a partnership with any other striker based on Rooney's abilities. Emile has failed to impress anyone during his tenure at Villa.

Carrick - I'm a Man United fan and a fan of Carrick when he is playing well but he hasn't played well in the last few months. I'm frustrated because he doesn't impose himself on the game enough and lacks creativity. His passing ability is good and he should model his game on the likes of Alonso or Xavi or Iniesta.

SWP - He is another player who frustrates me. He can be good or terrible. He goes in and out of form.

Now, I could accept these players going if they were the best available but he could choose Ashley Young, Agbonlahor, Bent, Carlton Cole,Scott Parker.

I don't think Capello makes the most of the talent available to him and sticks to players who play for the bigger clubs or who have been involved in past England squads which failed to make an impact at any major tournament in recent memory. He needs to test out a few other options like maybe Curtis Davies and David Dunn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

SlickRic wrote: »

Bent's allround game is good enough for one of the major teams in England.

Im fairly confident that Rooney would have had a big say in who got on the plane, and rightly so. Looking at the game against Japan i even feel Rooney ignored Bent a few times with the ball. Bent never had a hope of making the squad based on that performance, it is just a pity it was the performance of others more than his own in my opinion that cost him, that display from England was just terrible.

Let Capello at it in any case, he said himself if England fail he wants it to be because he has failed, as another poster pointed out though, it is a shame for some players he changed his tune in terms of picking on form over history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Curtis Davies?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Bent defo should be in there, other than that, he made the right decision. To all those slating Carrick saying Parker should be in there, Carrick had a poor season this season but has been very good in pretty much the 3 seasons before that. He has much more experience at the top level than Parker and when England are pressing a team and can't find a goal I would trust him to find a pass a lot more than Parker.

A bad run of form and everyone's ready to jump on a players back. If everyone went by that logic then pretty much half the players in the England squad would be playing in League 1. People are way too quick to write off players these days...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Curtis Davies?!

Are you suggesting he should be in? He was injured for ages.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Are you suggesting he should be in? He was injured for ages.

Pretty sure he was taken aback by the suggestion from AlmostFamous that Curties Davies should of been looked at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Danny Mills fallen out of favour with england :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

mayordenis wrote: »
    Pretty sure he was taken aback by the suggestion from AlmostFamous that Curties Davies should of been looked at.
    This.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

tbh the idea of Davies even being considerd when he isnt playing for Villa, injuries or not, is kinda laughable but i still hold hope for him in the future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Liam O wrote: »
    Bent defo should be in there, other than that, he made the right decision.

I think Bent will prove to be similar to Kevin Phillips - Good enough for the Premiership but not able to make the jump up to international class - I think Capello made the right choice there.

I don't think Upson should have gone though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

There are 3 players who I don't think justify their place in the English World cup squad...
    Heskey - I know Rooney prefers to be partnered along side him but Rooney is a professional and should be able to strike a partnership with any other striker based on Rooney's abilities. Emile has failed to impress anyone during his tenure at Villa.

Carrick - I'm a Man United fan and a fan of Carrick when he is playing well but he hasn't played well in the last few months. I'm frustrated because he doesn't impose himself on the game enough and lacks creativity. His passing ability is good and he should model his game on the likes of Alonso or Xavi or Iniesta.

SWP - He is another player who frustrates me. He can be good or terrible. He goes in and out of form.

Now, I could accept these players going if they were the best available but he could choose Ashley Young, Agbonlahor, Bent, Carlton Cole,Scott Parker.

I don't think Capello makes the most of the talent available to him and sticks to players who play for the bigger clubs or who have been involved in past England squads which failed to make an impact at any major tournament in recent memory. He needs to test out a few other options like maybe Curtis Davies and David Dunn.
    Is there such a thing as a triple facepalm?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

eagle eye wrote: »

a quick google images says that yes, yes there is such a thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

On request
    181148-triple_facepalm_super.jpg

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Curtis Davies?!

In the sense that Curtis Davies has yet to make his full debut for England. Not that he should be looked at for going to south africa becuase of his constant series of bad luck with injuries this season.

No, I stand by what I said.
    In my opinion, Heskey is brutal and if Rooney is a great footballer so he should be able to perform well regardless of who he is partnered beside. Carlton Cole is far superior than Heskey. Carrick form should have played him out of contention for a place on the plane to South africa. David Dunn should be given his chance giving his form. Curtis Davies should have made his full debut before all his injury woes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

Liam O wrote: »
    He has much more experience at the top level than Parker and when England are pressing a team and can't find a goal I would trust him to find a pass a lot more than Parker.

Carrick may find the pass but Parker will make a surging run from the edge of his own box/score from 30 yards

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Bringing only four forward players is a bit risky for a month long tournament, especially when one of them could never be described as a natural goalscorer.

At least two of them aren't crocked (yet!) like four years ago with Sven. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

LOL, this is a terrible England squad: no balance- no left winger (where's Ashley Young), an ageing defence prone to errors, Terry after having a terrible season by his standards, Glen Johnson good going forward but a liability in defence, having to beg Carragher (who has no pace anymore) out of retirement, James (who is always prone to a big-game clanger) and Green who let in more balls than a bowling alley both picked ahead of Robinson, Warnock over Baines, Peter Crouch isn't an England player, no Agbonlahor........

There's just so much wrong with this squad is hilarious!

Out at the quarter-finals again! :D

LOL, this is a terrible England squad: no balance- no left winger (where's Ashley Young), an ageing defence prone to errors, Terry after having a terrible season by his standards, Glen Johnson good going forward but a liability in defence, having to beg Carragher (who has no pace anymore) out of retirement, James (who is always prone to a big-game clanger) and Green who let in more balls than a bowling alley both picked ahead of Robinson, Warnock over Baines, Peter Crouch isn't an England player, no Agbonlahor........

There's just so much wrong with this squad is hilarious!

Out at the quarter-finals again! :D

Whatever squad Capello picked it's always going to have holes picked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Like every other English manager in recent decades. Matt le Tissier only got a handful of caps for England.

I'm sure Carrick isn't in his first 11 plans!

I'm sure Carrick isn't in his first 11 plans!

That's not the point

Carrick maybe in decline, but what makes Chelsea reject Scott Parker a much better choice though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,111 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Carrick may find the pass but Parker will make a surging run from the edge of his own box/score from 30 yards

This year;
    In 22 league starts, Carrick scored 2 goals.

In 30 league starts Parker scored....2 goals.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    This year;
    In 22 league starts, Carrick scored 2 goals.

In 30 league starts Parker scored....2 goals.
    But sure now his going to tell you that Carrick was in a good team and Parker was in a shoite team.:D

And when you come back and ask him how Parker has ended up at West Ham he will come up with some other shoite.

• Advertisement

Bearing in mind that end of season form is one of the most important things managers look at.
    Look at Scott Parkers last 6 games for West Ham and do the same with Carrick and tell me who played better.......or in fact just look at the whole season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

I'm suprised his leaving Darren Bent at home after the seaon he had.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Why are people saying that there's no left wing??? Joe Cole and Gerard anyone?

Ashley Young doesn't deserve to be anywhere near the England squad. He's probably one of the most overrated players in the premiership.

Why are people saying that there's no left wing??? Joe Cole and Gerard anyone?

Ashley Young doesn't deserve to be anywhere near the England squad. He's probably one of the most overrated players in the premiership.
    Ashley Young is a very talented player and he deserved to be in contention for that squad, I'd have him ahead of SWP.

Personally I wouldn't have had him in the squad but what you are saying is ridiculous. The guy scored 5 and had 7 assists this season in the Premier League. On top of all that he does he is also a player that doesn't get injured very often.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

The guy scored 5 and had 7 assists this season in the Premier League.

:confused:

Is this your argument for or against Young being in the squad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Michael Carrick getting in the squad :mad:

Scott Parker > Michael Carrick

joe123 wrote: »
    Michael Carrick getting in the squad :mad:

Scott Parker > Michael Carrick
    :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

****k me, if I didn't know better I'd think you cared! :pac:

:confused:

Is this your argument for or against Young being in the squad?
    I didn't say he should be in the squad. Please re-read my post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Thought Own Goal would have got called up after his great season at Man Utd and his 2 goals against Japan.

Advertisement