Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal's minister's pensions

Options
  • 09-05-2010 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭

So what say ye - should The Cope and McDaid give back their ministerial pensions?

Just remember that this thread is about Donegal politicians only so I dont want to see a whole rant about politics or politicians in general.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

they should never have got them in the first place (until they retired)
    thats the bit i dont think they understand and why people are annoyed (even though its been like that for ever i think)

but until the system is changed (probably after the next GE)
    they aint breaking any rules

should they have given it back, morally probably but are at the end of their political careers and dont give a fudge about their constituencys or there party (fairly obviously)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

nah... it would only be a symbolic gesture, I heard Jim McDaid interviewed and its a couple of hundred a week. There are way bigger wastes of public money but the media seem more eagar to persue this witch hunt, it sells more papers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Technique

They're definitely out to get him. The Irish Mail on Sunday sent an undercover reporter in to his surgery to get a sick note, even though he was perfectly healthy. Our local TD gladly obliged. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Technique wrote: »
    They're definitely out to get him. The Irish Mail on Sunday sent an undercover reporter in to his surgery to get a sick note, even though he was perfectly healthy. Our local TD gladly obliged. :)

Any doctor will give you a sick cert as long as you give them their €40 they will do what you like....

anyways back to topic, i think its all just a media which hunt, i dont agree with the whole pension thing but the fact that its a meadi which hunt makes me sway towards agreeing with the TD's on this one (:eek::eek::eek: <---never to be quoted or repeated)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Always happy to relieve anyone of money..;) Not fussy where it comes from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭josey_whale

muffler wrote: »
    So what say ye - should The Cope and McDaid give back their ministerial pensions?

Yes absolutely. McDaid has stated that he gives his pension of €23,845 to charity. What charity? The Cope is still pondering his position - his ministerial pension is €23,634.

Both are sitting politicians and both get rewarded handsomely for the privilege. While the law says they are entitled to it, I believe it to be morrally wrong to accept it. This is especially true when so many of us are struggling with our day to day living expenses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Call me pedantic but the title should be Donegal's ministers' pensions - apostrophe after the "s".

For plural nouns ending in "s," add only an apostrophe eg Singers' voices.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Apologies for not being up to your high standards :rolleyes:

Apologies for not being up to your high standards :rolleyes:

"Give instruction to a wise man and he will be still wiser" Proverbs 9:9 :)

Essexboy wrote: »
    Call me pedantic but the title should be Donegal's ministers' pensions - apostrophe after the "s".

pedant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭killerbeg

Graces7 wrote: »
    Always happy to relieve anyone of money..;) Not fussy where it comes from.
    To be fair I think he refused payment even though the reported offered twice.

sections of the media now running the country - mcdaid

http://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/donegalnews/Sections-of-the-media-now.6285035.jp

good job seeing as FF dont seem to be bothering :rolleyes:

sections of the media now running the country - mcdaid

http://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/donegalnews/Sections-of-the-media-now.6285035.jp

good job seeing as FF dont seem to be bothering :rolleyes:
    Glad to see that actually as Deputy McDaid is never in the Dail to see who is running the country

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Looking at some of your own past posts, this really is the pot calling the kettle black...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭foggy

Yes absolutely. McDaid has stated that he gives his pension of €23,845 to charity. What charity? The Cope is still pondering his position - his ministerial pension is €23,634.

You have to consider the fact that the pension Jimmy McDaid is taking and giving to charity is more that a clerical officer in the civil service earns in their first year of service and some of us work hard for that money!
    And a few weeks ago he said that the public sector should consider themselves grateful to have jobs... and yet he can give that much away to an unnamed charity!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Is there any need to capitalise "Singers" there while "ministers" isn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Jaysus lads, give Essexboy a break, he may be pedantic but he's right:D

How come when it's bankers and other TDs taking the p*ss, it's disgraceful, but when it's two Donegalmen refusing to make a gesture that would improve their standing in the eyes of the people who voted them in, it's a witch-hunt?:rolleyes:

A pension should not be claimed while you are still in that profession, end of. The present situation is ridiculous. Other ministers have either realised this or (more likely) have enough awareness of the feelings of their constituents to cop on and give the money back.

I would've thought that given McDaid's abysmal attendance in the Dáil, he would have been keen to avoid the media spotlight on him over this issue:rolleyes:

deemark wrote: »
    he would have been keen to avoid the media spotlight on him over this issue:rolleyes:
    Thats one of his problems - he's addicted to the spotlight.

Im still very curious to know the name of the charity that he "allegedly" donates his pension to. For a man who is so full of self promotion he sure is very coy about this issue

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭foggy

Im still very curious to know the name of the charity that he "allegedly" donates his pension to. For a man who is so full of self promotion he sure is very coy about this issue

I'm guessing it could be called 'Paddy Powers' or 'boylesports'... but that's only a guess :D

smashey wrote: »
    Is there any need to capitalise "Singers" there while "ministers" isn't?

Capitalize the titles of high-ranking government officials when used before their names. Do not capitalize the civil title if it is used instead of the name.

NB my last word on grammar!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

What about singers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

i Dont no what this essexman is going on abut grammer for this is the donegal forum after all "sir" if you wana be grmatticilly correct go join the spell cechz forum please ,ive even includ'ed a link for you....http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055859481

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

i Dont no what this essexman is going on abut grammer for this is the donegal forum after all "sir" if you wana be grmatticilly correct go join the spell cechz forum please ,ive even includ'ed a link for you....http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055859481

Any wonder I bes wil' stressed out at work, with the han'lin' I have trying to teach them wains proper English above in thon school sir?:eek::D

Advertisement