Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virtual Volunteering

• 09-05-2010 9:41pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It probably makes sense to have a thread on virtual volunteering in this virtual forum. There are a number of ways of volunteering in cyberspace and sometimes from a remote location. Voluntary groups have websites and some organisations are focussed on reaching out online like Spunout.ie or turn2me.ie. A volunteer with computer skills can be a valuable help for an organisation trying to make an impact online.
    Take a look at the list of positions Volunteer.ie under virtual volunteering and Volunteering.ie

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Great idea for a thread. I know a good few charities who have asked me to do computer work. I haven't been able for all of it, but if any web designers or people who are good at wording things want to help out let me know.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

Last year, our email support service was contacted about 2,500 times, helping people through some of their lowest moments. The service continues to expand and we're always looking for new volunteers to respond to emails.

To give you more of an idea of what's involved, we're holding an open information evening on Tuesday 1 March. So if you're interested in finding out more, please drop in to our main office at 72 Lower Leeson St, Dublin 2 between 5.30pm and 7pm. The next closing date for volunteer applications is Tuesday 8 March, with interviews taking place on Monday 14 March. Training will then take place one night a week for 6 weeks, beginning Monday 21 March.
    Aware.ie The information night has already happened but the closing date for applications hasn't gone yet. It would probably be a good idea to get in touch with them to decide if it is for you or not.
    applying
    Aware do online support groups also.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ugabuga

Advertisement