Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Built in GPS TRacking Device !?

Options
  • 09-05-2010 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭

Is there any hidden tracking solution available for bicycles , if not im considering to build one , but then i would have one more question ,what happens if my bike get stolen ,and i know the coordinates ,and i call gardai , will i get any reward or compensation because i helped gardai to catch a bike thief ? what if the thief is under aged ?

How would u punish bike theifs ? ( same rules apply to under aged gangsters ) 23 votes

Cut the hands off
    4% 1 vote
    Luck him in to jail for a while
    39% 9 votes
    Community work
    26% 6 votes
    Something else , i tell u now ...
    30% 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

How would I punish 'theifs' Same was as I would punish thieves, and I wouldn't want to 'luck' them in jail, i tell you now....

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭buzzingnoise

yoshx wrote: »
    Is there any hidden tracking solution available for bicycles , if not im considering to build one , but then i would have one more question ,what happens if my bike get stolen ,and i know the coordinates ,and i call gardai , will i get any reward or compensation because i helped gardai to catch a bike thief ? what if the thief is under aged ?

I assume you will hide it in the frame along with an infinite power supply?
    your reward is the return of your gps tracking device as the bike will most likely be stripped.
    In addition I hope you have a snorkel and goggles coz the gardaí will tell you that most stolen bike frames end up in the river...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭yoshx

:D , well i wouldn't wait too long with the catch , once the bike get stolen i would ring gardai right away , so they can start the procedure. So they wouldn't have that much time to cut the bike , i was searching around and i found that in the USA they have a Bait Bike program ,what is quiet successful.
    And what really upsets me that we have the technology but only the Americans using it . the whole system cost no more than a 1000 euros , and we could catch so many thieves ,and we could save so much money for the owners .

Anyway can u tell me where should i go to buy my bike back ? :)

bcz the frame is quiet big i would fit there like 3 batteries just in case , so it could be used for longer operations, but as i said earlier the whole steal and catch procedure should not take more than 10 hours, it should be enough to discover where the bikes goes , ah also i would build in a voice recorder and a screw camera , so i can identify ppl and can record conservations between gangsters ,so end od the day i can gather pretty much information about these bike , of course this system would be available for motorbikes as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

In future, stop worrying about GPS solutions, the Gardai have bigger things to worry about than theft of property, and will pretty much tell you that if pushed.
    You'd be much better off keeping the 1000 euros and spending maybe 150 euros on a proper lock or two.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭SubLuminal

gman2k wrote: »
    In future, stop worrying about GPS solutions, the Gardai have bigger things to worry about than theft of property, and will pretty much tell you that if pushed.
    You'd be much better off keeping the 1000 euros and spending maybe 150 euros on a proper lock or two.

This.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

gman2k wrote: »

Its a waste of time even reporting it (although I supose you should). They're just not interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

can be a waste of time.. but sometimes get some good luck stories like the one on here the other day..

only when the planets are aligned, the gardi are bothered and the good people of boards are in the correct positions :)

this makes me very sad, i know there is lot bigger issues waiting to be solved , but i believe it that this gps solution would help to fight against the low profiled young gangsters , dont forget that that these ppl eventually will switch from bikes to smthing else ,something bigger .
    And imagine if we start arresting these ppl ,that would be a great message to the other gangsters that they not free to rob , because this is what happened me 3 days ago, just next to the main post office at 16.00 pm - there is usually a gardai officer around , and still crime find its own way. and this is sad. I would love to use my nice bike in the city with the feeling of security, with this system dont even need to use locks, these gangsters will get the message dont mess with the law bcz they will find u! we need prevention program ,and that's starts at the ppl not at the expensive locks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Cypher.

surely their is potential to have a power supply which is charged by cycling, similar to the classic Dynamo and that only and the period until the battery dies the miniture gps transmits coordinates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Those kinds of GPS tracking devices do exist, but most of them are too bulky to slip inside a bike frame. If they did fit they would need to be easily removed to allow recharging, which would mean they're just as easily removed by a canny thief. A lot of them seem to operate a monthly subscription service for position alerts by text message and/or website log-in. I'm sure it's technically do-able but whether it could be cost-effective or not is another thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

RFID/Wifi tracking systems can be installed for less than 250 euro and many of them conserve power and can run for years on one AA battery. The problem is tracking the signal. With WiFi you need to be able to triangulate the signal and with RFID you need to drive around with an aerial to locate the tracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭griffin100

There's a GPS device you can get that fits under your saddle. You have to charge it regularly though and you need to put a SIM card in it, but it does work - when activated it will send you the coordinates of your bike to such a degree that you can pick out the thiefs house on Google earth (or at least narrow it down to 2-3 houses) - I have seen it in action and it does work - much to the surprise of the thief in question:D. I'll get details of the unit from the lad who used it when I see him later.

edit - cost as far as I remember was less than €200

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

yoshx wrote: »
    ...low profiled young gangsters...

malone460.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

It's not as impractical as it was several years ago.

There are plenty of cheap GPS trackers with GSM functionality. Typically they work by receiving a text message and responding to that message with GPS co-ordinates.

It would be quite straightforward to hook one of these up to a decent battery and stick it into the frame. You could have a small switch on the frame which activates the device when you leave the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

surely if theres a small switch ...thieves will simply flick off the switch (after they figure out thats how they were caught).....so the system is effective for a small while...then its back to normal.

only way to deal with bike thieves is to catch them in the act - the gardai dont see the point in catching criminals at this level (as they are almost always underage and do not get properly punished in the childrens court - if caught)

yes - the majority of these kids move on to stealing cars and robberies etc but only when they turn 18 are the gardai willing/able to get a decent sentence in the courts - and even at that some of the sentences given by judges are sadly lacking....and the thieves go back on the streets....re-offending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

el tonto wrote: »
    malone460.jpg

Those guns were the coolest things I ever saw on film - words cannot describe the disappointment I felt when I found out that Santa couldn't get me one - DAMN YOU SANTA, DAMN YOU TO HELL........:):):)

As for bike thieves - some extra enforcement would be nice, but generally I think the Guards and the courts have it about right - if the Guards want to spend some more time on bike-related stuff I'd rather they focused on making the roads a bit safer for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭paddymacsporran

Thats the solution. Get the low profile gangsters to splurge gun the bike theifs.... And theives.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,080 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It's hardly surprising that so many bikes get nicked when you walk down a street in the city centre and see cable lock....cable lock....cable lock....cable lock....oooh boardman team carbon, with a cable lock....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Lumen wrote: »
    It's hardly surprising that so many bikes get nicked when you walk down a street in the city centre and see cable lock....cable lock....cable lock....cable lock....oooh boardman team carbon, with a cable lock....

I seen 3 decent bikes on the way into work the other night all cable locked (all right beside each other). Not to the bike stand, oh no, each one had a cable lock tying the wheel to the bike but it was locked to nothing else. I have seen this several times, I may start leaving notes
    or increasing my collection for their own benefit, obviously, not for mine. To teach them a lesson.

as for the GPS, not a bad idea but until it comes down to the price of a lock, I think I'll pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

What about this?

Chip 'N' Trace

daragh_ wrote: »
    What about this?

Chip 'N' Trace

"In this current economic climate, the only market sector that is actually growing is crime paranoia."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Lumen wrote: »
    "In this current economic climate, the only market sector that is actually growing is crime paranoia."

Lots of it about.

Check out the watch list.

http://www.chipntrace.com/watch_list.htm

daragh_ wrote: »
    Lots of it about.

Check out the watch list.

http://www.chipntrace.com/watch_list.htm

Deterrent Fail.

"Cannondale Slice". That's gotta hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Some guys (and gals) seem to have lost multiple bikes.........not nice! Either that or there were mini crime sprees in Mold and Glasgow!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Undercover Elephant

The UK has a commercial RFID chipping service, which as far as I can gather most of the police forces have signed up for. Which is a small step up from "well you'll never see that again".

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Luisboykid

Those kinds of GPS tracking devices do exist, but most of them are too bulky to slip inside a bike frame. If they did fit they would need to be easily removed to allow recharging, which would mean they're just as easily removed by a canny thief. A lot of them seem to operate a monthly subscription service for position alerts by text message and/or website log-in. I'm sure it's technically do-able but whether it could be cost-effective or not is another thing.

YES. The small and compact GPS tracker can well prevent the bicycle from being stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

once airtags from apple are out and probably a similar offering from google and support by them for similar third party rfid offerings, i think we have a reasonable solution, especially if android and iphone latest versions support the rfid standard for lost devices, if there is one. that means if my bike gets stolen and i notify it on my phone. anyone who passes by my bike that has the rfid chip , their phones will read the rfid chip, see that it's stolen and notify me and also maybe the police (all depends how this is setup).
    https://www.thetileapp.com/en-us/how-it-works

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Luisboykid wrote: »
    YES. The small and compact GPS tracker can well prevent the bicycle from being stolen.

15609605.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement