Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier League Team of the Season

• 09-05-2010 9:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

So, whats your first XI for this season in the EPL? giles & co. were just doing their ones on RTE.

Reina(Lvp)

Ivanovic(Che)----Dunne(Atv)---Vermelean(Ars)
    Bale(Ths)

Fabregas(Ars)----Fletcher(Mtd)----Lampard(Che)----Malouda(Che)

Drogba(Che)
    Rooney(Mtd)

I think Reina has easily been Liverpools best player this year. If it wasnt for him this season would have been even more of an embarrasment for the Reds. Still the best keeper in the league.

RB was probably the hardest to fill. There have been no really outstanding RB's this year but Ivanovic was still the best imo. Extremely solid, very quick to react and generally not caught out. still manages to threaten when going forward and he seems to have made that RB berth his own at chelsea.

Dunne - wow, how dumb where citeh to get rid of him. the man from tallaght is a dutch gold fuelled defensive machine :p

Vermelean - trading Toure for this guy might not have seemed that smart a year ago but as always, arsene wenger is the one left laughing in the end.

Bale - Finally living up to his potential. I think Harry has got his confidence up and his natural talent is really beginning to shine. a versatile left sided player, Ive stuck him at LB to make room in the midfield, Evra of course would be the natural runner up

Fabregas - Arsenals heartbeat and easily one of the most exciting players in the PL. 15 goals from midfield and he has a great work ethic.. still going to be hard to get into Spains WC XI which just goes to show how good that spanish side is looking

Fletcher - 4 years ago he was looking like another joke player, but how wrong we were. Utd's most consistent midfielder this year and he plays a magnificant harrying game and really adds so much to Utds overall plan. I think if Carrick was to get Darrens testicals cloned and put into his ballsack Utd would have a centre midfield partnership up there with the best.

Lampard - Done more then enough to deserve his XL Bacon Double Cheeseburger meal this season :p probably the best midfielder of the decade in the PL and despite a slowish start to the campaign he produced the goods, as he always does.

Malouda - Where did this come from? Last season he was really beginning to shape up and hes carried over his form to this campaign and then some. great wide player with an eye for goal. Has really made Drogba and Anelkas job that much easier. Bellamy is a close runner up for this position.

Drogba - Boss. absolute powerhouse of a striker and a player chelsea can base their game around if needed.

Rooney - Player of the Season. Englands world cup hope. I wont bother wasting more words here, we all know how good he is :)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

ahh i see another thread where the exclusion of James Milner needs to be pointed out... sorry Jazzy nice and almost spot on team otherwise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Ash Cole/Evra for Bale.

Maybe Hangeland, Dawson or one of the Birmingham CB's for Vermaelen.

And I'd stick Fabregas in the centre and swap Milner for Fletch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

ahh i see another thread where the exclusion of James Milner needs to be pointed out... sorry Jazzy nice and almost spot on team otherwise

he was in my head and would be another runner up, but your arguement has to be very good to replace one of lampard, fabregas or fletcher this season. so, lets hear it :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Jazzy wrote: »
    he was in my head and would be another runner up, but your arguement has to be very good to replace one of lampard, fabregas or fletcher this season. so, lets hear it :)

tis 5am here so ill leave the epic write up on Milners awesomeness for another time but id probably drop Fletcher for him and say it is a team simply based on the best performing players in their current positions of the season and not one that id actually pick myself for a match i.e my team would then have no out and out DM (not that that is exactley what Fletcher is). Fletcher had a great season but personally I think YPOTY James Milners was more impressive.

Oh and Lucas as manager, because you have to have him somewhere on one of these teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Fletcher ahead of Milner? You're taking the piss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Bale has had been good since January but he has stood out most in left midfield. Cole and Evra are way ahead of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

i'd agree with most except goalkeeper. Some amazing talent this year. Given, fridel and hart would give him a run for his money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

CSF wrote: »
    Fletcher ahead of Milner? You're taking the piss.

care to elaborate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭mr.mayo

Hart
    Carr Dunne Vermaelen Cole

Milner Fletcher/Lampard Fabregas

Rooney Drogba Tevez

Waterboy: Lucas

Just missed the cut: Ivanovic, Roger Johnson, Bale, Malouda, Bellamy, Duff, Etherington, Bent, Defoe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Liam O wrote: »
    care to elaborate?
    While Fletcher has been good, Milner has been outstanding and is a far superior player, simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Cech
    --Ivanovic--Alex--Terry--Ashley Cole
    Lampard----Ballack----Malouda
    Kalou
    Drogba
    Anelka.

hah!
    the fookin cheek of me!:D

ahh no, id agree with most of the OP's team, id have cole in for bale and milner in for fletcher but after that its looks solid i think.

i think reina has added a lot more then stopping ability. hes been very vocal for a defence that has made fuk up after fuk up. he was always trying to get the defenders in the right position and was constantly trying his upmost to get things right.

bale, ive just been super impressed with. i had him written off last season but hes been great, especially from january on. but yeah, cole & evra have, as always, been superb.

fletcher - this was more of a team shape thing. i wanted to include 1 defensive midfielder and 2 more traditional types as that position is becomming one of the most important in the league and fletcher has been incredible there. has milner really been better then lamps & fabregas? I dont think so. hes been amazing for villa and the fact that hes even being compared to lampard and fabregas, who are two of the best in the world in their position is an incredible accomplishment.. but this is the team of the season, the best of the best :)

Fletcher isn't a DM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

now that we can look at the whole season.

Pep
    Ivanovic----Dunne----Dawson
    Evra
    Lampard---Cesc
    Milner
    Malouda
    Drogba
    Rooney

Subs:

Hart, Hangelaand, A. Cole, Song, Bellamy, Tevez, Zamora

flahavaj wrote: »
    Fletcher isn't a DM.

closest thing Utd have

(hargreaves doesnt count)

Jazzy wrote: »
    closest thing Utd have

(hargreaves doesnt count)

True dat.

But he's really a box to box midfielder, like a pre-injury Keano. As was said earlier in the Utd thread it'd be a waste playing him in the Makelele role. Even this season with no one better than him available he has raraly if everplayed as an out and out defensive midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Gomes
    Cuellar
    Dunne
    Distin
    Lampard
    Fabregas
    Milner
    Tevez
    Malouda
    Rooney
    Drogba

eagle eye wrote: »

Gomes
    Cuellar
    Dunne
    Distin
    Lampard
    Fabregas
    Milner
    Tevez
    Malouda
    Rooney
    Drogba

NOT ENOUGH ATTACKERS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

I really don't understand why people are putting bale in, he only came good in the last few games of the season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Hart

Ivanovic
    Dawson----R.Johnson
    A.Cole

Fletcher

Fabregas----Lampard

Malouda

Rooney
    Drogba

Subs: Tevez, Milner, Dunne, Bale, Bent, Given.

JPA wrote: »
    NOT ENOUGH ATTACKERS.
    :pac: yeah but its hard to leave them out, I though you'd be delighted with it having 3 Villa players in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

CSF wrote: »
    While Fletcher has been good, Milner has been outstanding and is a far superior player, simple.

Are you on drugs?

So much false.

eagle eye wrote: »
    :pac: yeah but its hard to leave them out, I though you'd be delighted with it having 3 Villa players in it.

:) Distin though? Dawson has to be in every team I would say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Hart

Ivanovic
    Johnson R
    Dawson
    Cole A

Lampard
    Fabregas
    Malouda

Tevez
    Drogba
    Rooney

JPA wrote: »
    :) Distin though? Dawson has to be in every team I would say.
    Well Distin have been very impressive this year but he never gets any accolades. Dawson wouldn't have the pace to play on the ouside of a back 3 so it had to be Distin.

I don't think that any fullback really was outstanding this year on either side of the pitch. Well Ashley Cole was but he missed a big chunk of the season. Cuellar was probably as good as there was on the right side but he played a good few games in the middle when Collins was out. I really don't get how Ivanovic is getting selected by a lot of people, he was decent over the whole season but not outstanding imo, he had a really good spell but he had a bad spell too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I'll go with:

Reina
    Ivanovic --- Dawson -- Vermaelen --- Cole
    Milner --- Fabregas -- Lampard --- Malouda
    Rooney -- Drogba

CB is the hardest position to nail for me, there have been no outstanding candidates imo. Arguably the best individual CB performances I've seen this season have been Carvalho and King, but I guess they haven't played regularly enough to really be considered. Dawson has probably been the most consistent really, although I still think tactically he can be a weaklink at times. Haven't seen much of Dunne either, but anytime I have I thought his positioning wasn't fantastic so I thought I'd stick the Verminator in there primarily because of his goal scoring. But tbh, it's a tossup really.

Outside of that the midfield picks itself, I know Fletcher has done well for United but those four have been the best 'match winners' or 'game changers' of this season. Although, having said that, if Modric had played more games...

And as for the fullbacks, well, Cole's performance against Arsenal in Autumn was the best individual performance I saw all season of any position, he's the best fullback in the league offensively and defensively. Early on in the season when Ancelotti had his settling in period Cole was regularly the only real attacking threat Chelsea offered, a fantastic outlet. And while he might not offer the same threat going forward, Ivanovic has been outstanding in the blue, very solid defender.

according to the oul fantasy league:

Player

M
    G----GC---A

Ivanovic
    2254---0----20---6
    Evra
    3283---0----27---7
    Cuellar
    3239---2----30---2
    A.Cole
    2153---4----24---4

M= Minutes
    G= Goals scored
    GC= Goals Conceeded
    A= Assists

papagormo wrote: »
    according to the oul fantasy league:

Player

M
    G----GC---A

Ivanovic
    2254---0----20---6
    Evra
    3283---0----27---7
    Cuellar
    3239---2----30---2
    A.Cole
    2153---4----24---4

M= Minutes
    G= Goals scored
    GC= Goals Conceeded
    A= Assists
    What have those stats got to do with defending? Goals conceded are for a whole defense. Goals and Assists, seriously?

• Advertisement

merely showing that they are all show fairly similar stats.
    we can go dig up more suitable stats if it pleases the jury.

SlickRic wrote: »
    now that we can look at the whole season.

Pep
    Ivanovic----Dunne----Dawson
    Evra
    Lampard---Cesc
    Milner
    Malouda
    Drogba
    Rooney

I'd go with this only replace Dunne with Johnson from Brum.

Evra and Cole are pretty equal too for LB.

I never thought I'd have Malouda in a team of the year. Credit to the lad and the manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

papagormo wrote: »
    merely showing that they are all show fairly similar stats.

Nah, look at them again, both the Chelsea lads played almost 1000 minutes less. Their ratio's are significantly better than the others tbh.

Also, Ivanovic has a stunning amount of assists for a RB, just under one in 4 games. Much higher than I expected!

Advertisement