Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Somewhere to stop off Dub-Cork

Options
  • 09-05-2010 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Am driving from Dublin to West Cork on Friday with two small children in car - anybody know of any nice pitstops along the way? Not too far off the motorway. We usually end up in Mother Hubbards and I really want to avoid this again if possible.
    Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Goldenlady

Depends how far down the road you want to stop - you could go to the horse and jockey, it is off the motor way but not too far and has good food and family friendly!
    Or if you wanted to continue to Cork, you could go as far as Glanmire, few nice pubs there with lunch.........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

TBH only when you reach Cork County will you be half way there, a fact often forgotten by non rebels.

Anywhere in Cork can be good, we are the cuisine capital after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

I agree with the above posts. When you get to Cork you are just over half way there cause depending on how far west you are heading it could take up to two to two and a half hours if you are taking the main roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Wanie

I do this trip a lot and I find the following good - the cafe in Abbeyleix on the Cork side, the one with the picnic tables outside, but it can get a bit busy. The hotel with the deer statue on the Cork side of town is also pretty good for food and roomy. Not usually too busy either - the Abbeyleix Manor hotel or something? My personal favourite for a big plate of grub has to be Horse and Jockey -it's only a few minutes off the motorway - ditto the Corbett Court hotel has a big slap-up dinner and great service - just a few mins off course if you take the exit near Mitchelstown. Unfortunately there are not a lot of good places on the actual road, but a few judicious detours should be useful.
    W

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I'd say Horse and Jockey as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Thoie wrote: »
    I'd say Horse and Jockey as well.

Thumbs up for the H & J too, they've a lovely new cake and coffee shop there now. Also, there's plenty of space for the kids to run around and stretch the legs. It's literally one minute off the motorway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ladykaka

I think Horse & Jockey it is. Thanks for all the replies. I have spotted that cafe in Abbeyleix before - might do that on way back.
    Thanks again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

TBH only when you reach Cork County will you be half way there, a fact often forgotten by non rebels.

Urlingford in Kilkenny was always my halfway point, until she sold out and the food went to sh*t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Horse and jockey is good. The forge chipper in urlingford is nice but your prob lookin for hotel type thing. There is very few nice places on the entire journey..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Depends where you are going - H & J is pretty meh, we tend to stop in Lawlor's in Dungarvan on the way back from Croker.

• Advertisement

dahamsta wrote: »
    Urlingford in Kilkenny was always my halfway point, until she sold out and the food went to sh*t.

Yeah Josephines used to be so nice, pity about the pile of cr@p that's there now!

Orizio wrote: »
    Depends where you are going - H & J is pretty meh, we tend to stop in Lawlor's in Dungarvan on the way back from Croker.

How in Gods name is Dungarvan on the road from Dublin to Cork? :confused:

How in Gods name is Dungarvan on the road from Dublin to Cork? :confused:

Depends on what part of Cork county old chap.

I see the OP said West Cork however.

Youghal barely qualifies.... Cut it off and let it drift off to the other side LOL

Youghal barely qualifies.... Cut it off and let it drift off to the other side LOL

Who said anything about Youghal?

Only place horrible enough that we would gladly give it to waterford that I could think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Wanie wrote: »
    ICorbett Court hotel has a big slap-up dinner and great service - just a few mins off course if you take the exit near Mitchelstown.

Seconded, love this place. The choices on the menu (and the prices) are second to none. I was there earlier this week and service and food were excellent as always!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

There's a restaurant in Cashel (a bit off the motorway) called Ryan's Daughter.

Big full Irish breakfast for under €8 and they also do meals (Bacon and Cabbage, Steak, Pork etc.) in large portions. Really nice and friendly service too (it's like you are being looked after by your granny). It is really nice, always stop there on the way to Dublin. You need to go through cashel on the way to the rock and it is on the left.

Advertisement