Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Work Experience for Leaving Cert Student

• 09-05-2010 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭

Hey guys

I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me out or point me in the right direction with this. My 16year old sister is looking at photography for college and seems dead set on it, but the problem is that she has no real experience and I'd really like her to have a bit of know-how about it before making her mind up. She lives in Donegal but I was thinking if I could get her a weeks work experience here in Dub during the summer it would be a great way to give her a bit of an insight into it. I was talking to her about it yesterday too and I know she'd absolutely love to do it!

I was just wondering if anyone here knew of anyone that I could go to about this or even if anyone here would take her on for a week? It doesn't even have to be someone with a business, even if it was just a hobby it would be great for her to spend some time with someone in the know so she can be sure it's what she wants to do.

I'd really appreciate any feedback at all or any advice ye might have :)

Thanks a mil
    G

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

G86 wrote: »
    Hey guys

I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me out or point me in the right direction with this. My 16year old sister is looking at photography for college and seems dead set on it, but the problem is that she has no real experience and I'd really like her to have a bit of know-how about it before making her mind up. She lives in Donegal but I was thinking if I could get her a weeks work experience here in Dub during the summer it would be a great way to give her a bit of an insight into it. I was talking to her about it yesterday too and I know she'd absolutely love to do it!

I was just wondering if anyone here knew of anyone that I could go to about this or even if anyone here would take her on for a week? It doesn't even have to be someone with a business, even if it was just a hobby it would be great for her to spend some time with someone in the know so she can be sure it's what she wants to do.

I'd really appreciate any feedback at all or any advice ye might have :)

Thanks a mil
    G

This may seem rude, But by the sounds of it the camera she has, If she has one isn't very good and therefore any work experience with a photographer wouldn't be great. If anything she might end up just carrying a bag or something.

I'd recommend she save's for a digital SLR and maybe some specific equipment depending on what area she goes into, When I did it did a local paper, I was asked If I had an SLR and a flash gun and it seemed if I didn't I wouldn't even be taken on..

I may be wrong but TBH, If a photographer is looking for a free second shooter someone with out a decent camera would only be a nuisance to them( it seems a lot of them are constantly asked ), Or just turn into a tea and coffee maker/ bag carrier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

The best way for her to gain experience is to go out & shoot pictures. (a lot of them.) and really learn how to do it. A lot of learning how to shoot is hand-on experience.. and you really need to have the tools.

It might be useful for her to find a photolab in which all the employees are also avid photographers.. I learned a lot about photography from working with others who were into it, and listening to their explanations of how they did things. I also learned a lot by talking with the more prolific customers, especially those whose worked I liked. (You end up seeing a lot of photos in a photo lab.. much of it crap.. but some people's work will really jump out at you.)
    It tends not to be high-paying, with long hours, and a fast-pace.. but in a GOOD photolab, there is a lot to be learned.

Another big point brought up by 91 above is that without good camera gear & experience.. she'd like be a "go fer" rather than being considered as even a tertiary photographer by anyone doing serious work.

Getting hold of an SLR, shooting lots of stuff, and getting critiques on the work from others who actually know something about photography is very valuable.

If she's truly interested.. she should really be dabbling with real equipment if she wants to be in a photography program in the next couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

in her position, I'd be looking to borrow a film slr, take 5-10 rolls of film and develop them and see if she likes that sort of thing.

Then I'd upgrade to a used entry level dslr, because the cost of film processing will add up to the cost of the dslr in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

I wouldn't worry too much if the course is broad eg business studies, pc skills etc, there are very different types of photography work, people change careers anyway, or she might switch to another course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Cheers for the info guys, you're right she only has a standard camera and to be honest I really just wanted her to get an idea of what it's all about before looking at equipment. But you're right, she really does need to just start building up a portfolio for herself, it's her bday in June so I'm thinking I could get her the camera for that. Where would be the best place to pick one up, preferably as cheap as poss do ye think? Thanks again for the advice, appreciate it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

you can actually do a lot in terms of learning about composition and so on with just a point & shoot camera. So in the meantime she should be working on that as well :)

as for the cheap as possible camera, adverts.ie!

Advertisement