Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many days to install 2.6m*2.3m plasterbaard and new door ?

• 09-05-2010 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭

I've got a bedroom, 6 meters long, 2.6 meters wide. Ceiling is 2.3 meters

I want to turn it into 2 bedrooms by putting in a partition wall.

The partition wall will be 2.6 meters * 2.3 meters

An opening will need to be made in an existing partition wall for the new door.

There are 2 ceiling light fittings in the bedroom already, but there needs to be a new switch installed, and the existing switch will need to be modified to only control one light

I bought all the materials to do the job, but had a change of heart about doing the job myself, as I don't have much experience putting up plasterboard/skimming, and installing new doors....I would surely make a mess of it

How many days work should it be for a carpenter / handy man to do the job ?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I would have said that a decent handy man would be very MAX at 2 days.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

yop wrote: »
    I would have said that a decent handy man would be very MAX at 2 days.

Ditto:)

kadman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭MungoMan

I tend to agree, even I could possibly do it in 2 days, but I might end up with a badly hung door, and undulating plaster

I did get a quote for 4 days work to do it.......

That includes everything, skimming the plasterboard, installing the new door etc

I'll try to find someone who offers to do it in 2 days.........I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

MungoMan wrote: »
    I tend to agree, even I could possibly do it in 2 days, but I might end up with a badly hung door, and undulating plaster

I did get a quote for 4 days work to do it.......

That includes everything, skimming the plasterboard, installing the new door etc

I'll try to find someone who offers to do it in 2 days.........I think

Dont rush it. Remeber, there's work needed in the roof for the lights, the wall needs to be constructed, slabbed, skimmed and jointed, finished & door hung, along with fitting a new lightswitch and architrave etc...

Maybe 3 days, but that would be it i'd say, providing all the materials were onsite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭cork2

id say two days for a handyman but if you get a carpenter it could run into 3 if hes held up on waiting for a sparks to wire switches and sockets and things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

ouch, that hurts!!!!!!!

wexfjord wrote: »
    ouch, that hurts!!!!!!!

What hurts ? !

-dissing the carpenters of ireland!:P

I think the poster was implying that to use a carpenter, the job could take longer cos he's waiting around for a sparks. In any event there should be no more than 2 days labour, regardless of who does it. Best of luck with it.

What sort of prices have you been getting on it by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

it would take more than 2 days.

One day to do the first fix. door partition , move switches hang plaster board.

on the second day it would be skimmed.

On the third day a call back would be needed to fix the skirting and architrave to the fresh wall. possibly hang door if there was no time on the first.

Thats a realistic view.

How can it be done in two 8 hour days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Why not just tape and joint the plaster board instead of skimming it? It's looks the same finish in the end. Granted it's not as hard a skimmed finish but it costs far less to do overall. Ya three days would be relastic if your skimming it as gsxr1 says.

• Advertisement

Readfit door frame kit 30 minutes to fit.

How could it take a day to skim one partition .

kadman

Can you put skirting onto a wall the day it has been plasterd? I said three days as I thought that when the skim has been applied that you wouldn't be able to fit the skirting that day. Correct me if I am wrong.

kadman wrote: »

kadman

skimming has to firm between coats and cant be second fixed till completely dry.

I guess the plaster could get it done in a few hours if there was no one in his way. But it still has to dry

If you where well organised I suppose you could try and get the plastering , stud plasterboard and 1st fix done in one day.

But it would be a fast dash for one man. Assuming he did not have to wait (or collect) materials.

I would price fot 2 days . As one would not have the time to do a good job.

But thats just me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

kadman

Skim, wait, polish, dry

More than one day in that. Would need 24hrs for skimcote to dry properly if not more

Someone asked what price I was quoted

I'm in the UK, I just moved over here from Ireland

Because I dont really know anyone here, I went on a website similar to tenderme.ie, and asked for quotes

One guy quoted 400 pounds (which he broke down as 4 days at 100 pounds a day)

Another guy quoted £150 a day (for as long as it takes to do the job), which is a bit vague.

I guess it would cost more in Ireland......as most things do.

I don't think I'm going to go with either quote I got so far, because they are both based a long way from my flat (which shouldn't matter), but I'd rather someone local

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Where are you based

Skim, wait, polish, dry

More than one day in that. Would need 24hrs for skimcote to dry properly if not more

You'd hardly consider the drying period of hardwall in the price of a job.

You guys would never do on Extreme Makeover,Home Edition.:D

Skim, wait, polish, dry

So you want to get paid for the waiting and drying. Give me a break.

kadman

Carpenter wrote: »
    Where are you based

based near heathrow

got a quote from a carpenter today, he said its 2 days work at 140 sterling a day

I need to ask him can he skim, can carpenters normally skim walls , or do they usually call on plasterers ?

MungoMan wrote: »
    based near heathrow

got a quote from a carpenter today, he said its 2 days work at 140 sterling a day

I need to ask him can he skim, can carpenters normally skim walls , or do they usually call on plasterers ?

i doubt he will try it. Its really is quite a hard skill to master(in my opinion).

be doubtful of guys who can do it all. Not saying it cant be done. But just inspect the result before you pay up at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ronboy

gsxr1 wrote: »
    i doubt he will try it. Its really is quite a hard skill to master(in my opinion).

be doubtful of guys who can do it all. Not saying it cant be done. But just inspect the result before you pay up at the end.

Skimming is very easy to do...;);)

gsxr1 wrote: »

I agree that he,d be mad to try it, and you would be mad to let him. Good advice on the paying, hang on to your dosh until you inspect it.

Skimming is not a diy job. Its the finishing touch, badly done it looks like ****e, and expensive and time consuming to repair.

kadman

I agree that he,d be mad to try it, and you would be mad to let him. Good advice on the paying, hang on to your dosh until you inspect it.

Skimming is not a diy job. Its the finishing touch, badly done it looks like ****e, and expensive and time consuming to repair.

kadman

The carpenter who quoted me 140 quid a day for 2 days, said he cant skim. At least he was honest. He said he can recommend a plasterer nearby.

He said "It is more common now to tape the joints and decorate straight over the boards, but obviously this is up to you. The electrics sound straightforward to me but you may want to get a partP or NICS reg electrician to sign the job off for you once completed"

Is it really ok to tape the joints ? Is it now standard practice in new builds ? Does it look ok ?

Ya it's perfectly fine to tape the joints. You can use scrim tape or paper tape with a gyproc filler applied in either two or three coats featherd out and sanded in between each coat. Done correctly you cant tell the difference between that and a skim finish. I do it every single week in shopfitting and always looks perfect once it's painted.

Tape and jointed finish is fine where there are no one man demolition units in the vicinity.....................CHILDREN.:D

Skimmed finish is more impact resistant.

kadman

So true children could wreck it with dings and scrapes. Skim as kadman says is more impact resistant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,223 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Think of how you want to decorate too,

Taping and Jointing is grand if you are going to paint it, but it wouldn't be ok to wallpaper it when the time comes to change it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭cork2

ronboy wrote: »
    Skimming is very easy to do...;);)

id have to see it to believe it!!

Finally 2 guys from near Bournemouth came and got the job done in one day excluding skimming (took 2 guys 13 hours fairly solid work to complete the job), they were good. The price was 280 sterling.

It was complicated insofar as they had to make the door a few cm narrower, and they had to make their own door liner because B&Q didn't have the correct size....and they had to eat into some brickwork to make the door hole big enough, it was fairly full on work

I'm going to skim the plasterboard because a plasterers touch is needed to make the area above the door look neat, so might as well get it all skimmed.

They put standard loft insulation between the plasterboard which I had left over from before. To be honest, it gives very poor sound insulation, maybe it'll be better when it's skimmed

• Advertisement

Finally, how long should it take a plasterer to skim a 2600mm * 2300mm wall on both sides ?

Advertisement