Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommend me a mask and snorkel?

• 09-05-2010 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

complete newbie to scuba but am looking to get started with a bit of snorkelling and am looking for a mask and snorkel. which brands are the best like? stuff like that. is there different sizes of mask or they all the same. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Visit a dive shop and try them on, and have a chat to the staff. They'll point you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

Most important thing is that it's a good fit.
    Other considerations apply too- field of view for example. Some masks have 'windows' on the side for peripheral vision. Some are angled so you can get a less obstructed downwards view at your gear etc. Some masks are advertised as 'low volume' meaning they are closer to your face and therefore the air space in the mask is a lower volume, supposed to make it easier to equalise the mask- but then you have to assume its somehow difficult to equalise your mask...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

i found these they seem to be a good start for a beginner:) and they do masks and stuff too. will pay them a visit!

http://www.scubadivewest.com/Scuba-Gear/mask-and-fins-for-sale-in-galway-ireland.html

was looking on ebay but seeing as i don't have a clue what i'm about yet it probably safer to buy from a shop!!

oh and i'm just going off to google equalising a mask - guessing that its getting all the air out or something:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

The term is clearing your mask - of water that is.

You equalise your ears and sinus cavities by making the pressure in the middle ear the same as ambient. You will be shown both manoeuvres by your diving instructor.

To equalise your mask - an uncommon term - you lightly blow through your nose on descent to avoid what is known as mask squeeze, caused by increasing pressure as you descend. Check out Lidl for their current crop of dive/snorkel gear.

Enjoy

Seadeuce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭Cipher

seadeuce wrote: »
    The term is clearing your mask - of water that is.

You equalise your ears and sinus cavities by making the pressure in the middle ear the same as ambient. You will be shown both manoeuvres by your diving instructor.

To equalise your mask - an uncommon term - you lightly blow through your nose on descent to avoid what is known as mask squeeze, caused by increasing pressure as you descend. Check out Lidl for their current crop of dive/snorkel gear.

Enjoy

Seadeuce

I would have taught it to be a correct term, equalising the external vs internal pressure within the air cavity of the mask. You are "equalising the two".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭Cipher

One mask I hoping to get next is the Mares X-Vision Liquid Skin.

Works out at about €50 for the mask but it's gotten some good reviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭t1mm

http://www.deepbluedive.com/department/masks/beaver/product/beaver%20frameless%20mask/427295 Thats the mask I use. Some people feel uncomfortable with decreased light because of the black surround but its the best fitting mask I've ever used; never get any leaks and its quite durable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Bargain (€10) set gone up on divegear.ie today: http://divegear.ie/ads_item.php?id=986&ad_id=986

Few of the sellers other items gone already so could go quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

got it thanks:)

Advertisement