Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Enniscorthy Strawberry Half

• 09-05-2010 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭

Did a quick search but nothing showed up for this race, so I hope this isn't a duplicate.

Just entered online now, they are planning 1500 runners, sounds like a fast enough course, chip timed and sarnies after. They are starting walkers before the runners (never something I'm a fan of) but the timing is pretty good for my other plans and it will be my half marathon race debut :)

Anyone else coming along?

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 23 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0%
    4 stars (good)
    56%
    bazmanOryxRacoonQueenSlogger JoggermenoscemoRubyKNialloooo8ofSpadesMisterDrakHeavyRunnerfitness faniwonceranwannabee runner 13 votes
    3 stars (average)
    34%
    Krusty_Clownannieee--amadeus--hf4z6sqo7vjngidonothoponpopDaithi BCInteryurauldonewgtomblin 8 votes
    2 stars (poor)
    8%
    runnerboycoraiste 2 votes
    1 star (terrible)
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭In the Woods

Very tempted. Had thought about doing the Portumna 50km that weekend but Eniscorthy's closer and shorter. Did the Kildare half yesterday (1st half marathon) and blew up with 2 miles to go. Finished in 1:31 but should have been sub-1:30. Training's been very poor since Paris 4 weeks ago so a few good weeks of training and I might have another shot at that sub-1:30.

Think closing date's been extended to 22nd May so have another week and a bit to decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

3 stars (average)
    http://www.strawberryhalfmarathon.com/

From the RD-" Yes the race has an AAI permit and is being officially measured with a jones counter by none other than fellow hill runner, Cormac Conroy on behalf of AAI. As you may be aware there is a huge prize fund...€1,000 cheque to both 1st Male and 1st Female and of course loads of category prizes...all spelt out clearly on website www.strawberryhalfmarathon.com which has all the info you need to know. As part of the Strawberry Festival weekend and also the Enniscorthy 1500 Celebrations the atmosphere will be festive to say the least."

**Disclaimer to Mods- I've no connection with this race, other than knowing the organizers, Graham & Jane Porter. Their passion for, and dedication to, running and athletics is legendary throughout the land, and you can be sure this race will be organized second to none**

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

4 stars (good)
    I'm considering doing it. I'm doing a 10k the evening before though so it depends on my ability to scab a lift to Wexford the next day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

http://www.strawberryhalfmarathon.com/

From the RD-" Yes the race has an AAI permit and is being officially measured with a jones counter by none other than fellow hill runner, Cormac Conroy on behalf of AAI. As you may be aware there is a huge prize fund...€1,000 cheque to both 1st Male and 1st Female and of course loads of category prizes...all spelt out clearly on website www.strawberryhalfmarathon.com which has all the info you need to know. As part of the Strawberry Festival weekend and also the Enniscorthy 1500 Celebrations the atmosphere will be festive to say the least."

**Disclaimer to Mods- I've no connection with this race, other than knowing the organizers, Graham & Jane Porter. Their passion for, and dedication to, running and athletics is legendary throughout the land, and you can be sure this race will be organized second to none**

Jesus...a grand for the winner...there will be some hot shots come out for that.
    I was going to do it if i went for dublin but as im doing Cork,probably not the best idea to race a half 2 weeks after a full !

Maybe next year,when i hopefully won't be doing a marathon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

4 stars (good)
    Sosa wrote: »
    probably not the best idea to race a half 2 weeks after a full !

Why not? :confused::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

3 stars (average)
    I would love to do this, but with the WWR two weeks beforehand, I'm not going to be able to give it full belt. I wonder if they need any pacers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

4 stars (good)
    Sure 2 weeks is plenty of recovery time :D
    I hope to be there. The organisers deserve to get a good crowd for this. I wish them luck with it. Their trail series of races (last one yesterday) were brilliant.

3 stars (average)
    Daithi BC wrote: »
    I wonder if they need any pacers.

I suggested it, would you be on for pacing 1:30 if it was going ahead?

3 stars (average)
    I suggested it, would you be on for pacing 1:30 if it was going ahead?

Anything from 1:30 to 1:45 inclusive. I'd be fine for that, but I intend to hammer the WWR, so I'm not going to be PB-ready two weeks later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

4 stars (good)
    I'm tempted, but have a family wedding on the Friday 25th. I know I don't have to have a mad day of it, but chances are a few drinks and a late enough night won't do me any favours, for Sunday.

Decisions, decisions.

• Advertisement

3 stars (average)
    RubyK wrote: »
    I'm tempted, but have a family wedding on the Friday 25th. I know I don't have to have a mad day of it, but chances are a few drinks and a late enough night won't do me any favours, for Sunday.

Decisions, decisions.

You'll be fine! A full day to recover, and a nice two day taper beforehand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tomhton

This will be my first time running in a group if i decide to run in Enniscorhty...i wonder will many people sign up i know 440 approx signed up for the recent Wexford half marathon...reason i ask is i just have images of myself walking in over the finish line last, this could happen if only elite or experienced runners take place, it seems to be geared towards the more serious runner...or maybe im wrong. Im up up to 8 miles now so maybe ill just give it a lash.???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Jesus...a grand for the winner...there will be some hot shots come out for that.
    I was going to do it if i went for dublin but as im doing Cork,probably not the best idea to race a half 2 weeks after a full !

Maybe next year,when i hopefully won't be doing a marathon.

If I can race a half 3 weeks after an Ultra, you can race a half 2 weeks after a marathon. It's the same recovery day per miles raced ratio. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

3 stars (average)

Top 10 get a prize as do the first 3 in more or less all the age categories (compare and contrast with the GLR...). I reckon that if you are in and around teh top 15 - 20 places you'd be in with a shout of getting something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

€45 for a half that is seemingly hilly aint for me. I suppose if we keep paying these high prices they will put it up again nxt year.
    When they say its in Association with a club what do they mean ?? Do people who pay think its run by a club and they are supporting a club.
    Or do the club supply stewards in turn for a nominal fee. If 30 euro i would def do this and have a full car. I just think the organisers dont see the recession out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

tomhton wrote: »
    This will be my first time running in a group if i decide to run in Enniscorhty.....reason i ask is i just have images of myself walking in over the finish line last, this could happen if only elite or experienced runners take place, it seems to be geared towards the more serious runner...or maybe im wrong. Im up up to 8 miles now so maybe ill just give it a lash.???

Give it a lash!

What is elite?
    Elite to me is somebody finishing a half-marathon in, say, 1:15 (something that I could never achieve).
    However, I'm probably elite to someboby who finishes in 2:00.
    That same 2:00 finisher is elite to somebody who finishes in 2:20. And so on.

I'll bet you won't be last.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Wexican

This will be my first time running in a group if i decide to run in Enniscorhty...i wonder will many people sign up i know 440 approx signed up for the recent Wexford half marathon...reason i ask is i just have images of myself walking in over the finish line last, this could happen if only elite or experienced runners take place, it seems to be geared towards the more serious runner...or maybe im wrong. Im up up to 8 miles now so maybe ill just give it a lash.???

It'll be my first half aswell. Picked it, as it would be a chance to pop home for the weekend, as well as to see if after starting running in Feb whether I would have any chance of giving the marathon a lash this year. At the moment I have 2 hours in my head however will be happy to just complete it to be honest.

I've entered a couple of 5k and 10k at this stage, and whlst hardly setting the world alight, there good to give you something to aim instead of just going out to run night after night, as well as getting used to running in a group, and learning to pace yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭southofnowhere

Same here lads.

Only starting out running, first race (5k) last weekend, will do a 10k and then hopefully give this a shot. Will be aiming for 1.59.59 :)

If I come last then so be it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭HeavyRunner

4 stars (good)
    €45 for a half that is seemingly hilly aint for me. I suppose if we keep paying these high prices they will put it up again nxt year.
    When they say its in Association with a club what do they mean ?? Do people who pay think its run by a club and they are supporting a club.
    Or do the club supply stewards in turn for a nominal fee. If 30 euro i would def do this and have a full car. I just think the organisers dont see the recession out there.
    I'm always one of the first to give out about the prices of races but I think this one is different. A lot is being given back to the athletes in this. On offer is good prize money which is spread over senior and veteran categories. And as stated already anybody who knows the organizers will know how much they put in to running in the county and further a field.

I did the Wexford half last year and will do this one this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Husavik

Here are the results of the recent Kildare Half marathon. There are 200 odd finishers above 2hrs 30mins and approx 70 above 3hrs. If you can achieve 10 miles in 2hrs you should not be too far beyond 2.40 on the day. Just be sure and keep your pace comfortable. If that's any guide.

http://www.kildaremarathon.ie/results_2010.html

• Advertisement

3 stars (average)
    Boards will be providing pacers at this race- 1:30, 1:45, 2:00. Looking for one more 1:30 pacer, one more 1:45, two 2:00. Free entry, plus free entry for mate, plus whatever goodies are going, plus all the strawberries you can eat.

If you're interested, either PM me, or sign up at the pacers forum , if you have access.

I'm always one of the first to give out about the prices of races but I think this one is different. A lot is being given back to the athletes in this. On offer is good prize money which is spread over senior and veteran categories. And as stated already anybody who knows the organizers will know how much they put in to running in the county and further a field.

You have me tempted now. €45 notes is still alot of cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

You have me tempted now. €45 notes is still alot of cash.

If you want i would be willing to have you as my +1 from pacer duties?

ecoli wrote: »
    If you want i would be willing to have you as my +1 from pacer duties?
    Great offer. Can i get back to you. Mrs just told me 28th is her birthday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

4 stars (good)

+1 to that. The organisers are legends. They've done great and fun things in the past too. Read accounts of 2 of their adventures here:
    http://www.imra.ie/reading/ Bray head to Bray Head and the Sahara race...

3 stars (average)
    You had to sort out the +1s after I paid for entry? grrrrr

3 stars (average)
    Both 1:30 spots now filled, thanks.

Still looking for two 2:00 pacers (having previously ran 1:45), and

one 1:45 pacer (having previously ran 1:30)

3 stars (average)

Both 1:45 filled.

Still looking for two 2:00 pacers (having previously ran 1:45)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Both 1:45 filled.

Still looking for two 2:00 pacers (having previously ran 1:45)

I'll pace 2:00 if you still need people.

• Advertisement

3 stars (average)
    All spots now filled, thanks to those who expressed interest.

Pacers wanted for this half , free entry and free entry for a mate, plus whatever goodies are going. Two pacers wanted for each band, cheers.

1:30 (Having previously ran 1:20)
    Daithi BC
    ecoli

1:45 (Having previously ran 1:30)
    donothoponpop
    Sosa

2:00 (Having previously ran 1:45)
    Racoon Queen
    GoHardorGoHome

4 stars (good)
    All spots now filled, thanks to those who expressed interest.

Pacers wanted for this half , free entry and free entry for a mate, plus whatever goodies are going. Two pacers wanted for each band, cheers.

1:30 (Having previously ran 1:20)
    Daithi BC
    ecoli

1:45 (Having previously ran 1:30)
    donothoponpop
    Sosa

2:00 (Having previously ran 1:45)
    Racoon Queen
    GoHardorGoHome
    Hope you don't mind me asking but how will the pacing operate and who are they for.

3 stars (average)
    Hope you don't mind me asking but how will the pacing operate and who are they for.

Pacers are for anyone who wants to target a time- in this case 1:30, 1:45, or 2:00, for the half marathon. There will be two pacers for each time band, who will have helium balloons with their target time written on them. They'll be visible at the start of the race: simply place yourself behind the correct group.

Pacers will run a steady pace throughout the race (hitting even splits throughout), and will aim for a "chip to chip" time of about 1:29:3x, 1:44:3x, 1:59:3x. Stay with their group, encourage each other all the way around, and you'll hit your target time:)

4 stars (good)
    Thanks donothoponpop. That's a great service to provide and something I havn't seen in any race before. I havn't run any races outside the south-east however. An extra selling point for a race as well.

4 stars (good)
    Is this a good course for a first time half marathon runner? Is it a hilly route? Sorry, I don't know Enniscorthy at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Is this a good course for a first time half marathon runner? Is it a hilly route? Sorry, I don't know Enniscorthy at all.

From what i know of the area it is hilly and description refers to alot of "gradualy uphills" any one able to shed light on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Nialloooo

4 stars (good)
    HI Guys ran the route a few weeks back, its not as hilly as the decripton says the hills are more like long gradully rises, its no where as hilly as the wexford but not as flat as the waterford one in dec was,
    for anyone that knows thoses races. i dont think the hills will make much of a difference to be honest its a lovely course, start in town and brings you out the country side and has a nice 3mile (this as one og the hill sections but is over such a long strech you dont really notice it) finish up the n11 to finish beside the river on the prom

.. also the the fair that is on in town that weekend will have loads of thinks on so you can bring wifes/girlfriend and kids and there will be loads for them today when your running free live music and fun fair, street trades etc .. im really looking foward to it

.. i also have several friend ruiing there first half so dont worry lads about time or where you place the aim is to finish and feel good after it.

..if the races today arranged by the organisers is anything to go by it promises to be very well run and with plenty of fun for all

Niall

4 stars (good)
    Ah Nialloooo you make it sound so nice and easy - you have me nearly sold :D

Thanks for the info!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭southofnowhere

I'm now really tempted by this due to the pacers. I think having that would really help me keep focused and push on.

Fair play to those doing it.

If I can get a 10k in next weekend then I will definitely work towards this race. As it would be my first I guess I'd be trying to keep up with Racoon Queen and GoHardOrGoHome.

I love strawberries!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Seems like this could be a good event but would be killed for paying that for a race, might be around the area on the day anyway.

3 stars (average)
    Just got confirmation, all the pacers and their nominated buddy have been entered. Drove round some of the course yesterday, it really is a beautiful part of the country round these parts.

It's my understanding that the organizers, who have been involved in local and national athletics for years, wanted to run a "commercial" race to show that it can be done in a positive way for everyone- so there is a considerable amount of money being returned in the prize fund, the local athletics club (who they are involved in running) will get a donation, the course will be properly measured, certified, and AAI permitted, and runners throughout the field from first to last will have a professional organization.

Runners get plenty of bang for their buck..technical teeshirt, finishers mug, goody bag, tea and sandwiches in Riverside Park Hotel. Pacers (fellow Boardies!) for those who are looking for a specific time (1:30, 1:45, 2:00). There will be oodles of atmosphere for all the finishers and supporters..they will have music and DJ at start finish at the promenade on the banks of the Slaney+ commentary as runners finish. South East Radio will be in town and will be talking to finishers. The Strawberry Festival will be in full swing with more music and entertainment on up the town.

Course is being measured by Jones Counter tomorrow morning.

(If this sounds like too much of an ad, let me say that if there continues to be more commercial races, (and there will!), I'd much prefer they were run to this level of professionalism, with the runners foremost over profit. Other Race Directors who are willing to verify the amount of info the Strawberry Half organizers have, are also welcome to have their events discussed in such a manner on Boards).

• Advertisement

3 stars (average)
    Training has been a dog for this. I'll have the legs to get round but I reckon I'll be lucky to stay in front of the 1:30 lads at this rate.

Is anyone staying up the night before? And DP (or anyone with local knowledge) how flat is the course, bearing in mind that I don't do hills?

Really looking forward to it though, I've had a couple of emails from the organisers and they look to be keen to fill numbers so I'd encourage anyone thinking about it to join in and come along for the craic (and for clarity I have no connection with the race other than the fact I've entered it)

3 stars (average)
    And DP (or anyone with local knowledge) how flat is the course, bearing in mind that I don't do hills?

There is nothing that even faintly resembles anything I would call a hill. (<<Proudly looks at recent scar on leg obtained while running down Lucnacoille>>):D

4 stars (good)
    When is the closing date for Enniscorthy? I'm not being lazy, I did look at the website, but I can't see a closing date :o

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭annieee

3 stars (average)
    When is the closing date for Enniscorthy? I'm not being lazy, I did look at the website, but I can't see a closing date :o

I e-mailed them this morning and they said they will be taking entries for two more weeks.

3 stars (average)
    There is nothing that even faintly resembles anything I would call a hill. (<<Proudly looks at recent scar on leg obtained while running down Lucnacoille>>):D

With the greatest respect o omnipotent one I didn't ask if there was anything *you* would call a hill, rather if there was anything *I* would call a hill :D

Although in fairness I generally grumble about the height of kerbs but in this case I really need all the help I can get...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

With the greatest respect o omnipotent one I didn't ask if there was anything *you* would call a hill, rather if there was anything *I* would call a hill :D

Although in fairness I generally grumble about the height of kerbs but in this case I really need all the help I can get...

I don't think there's anything that even you would call a hill :p Although if you're really grumbling about the height of kerbs it may be time for some hill repeats!! Very flat course, any uphill is pretty shallow inclines...

Very tempted by this one, bound to be faster than Wexford Half (still have nightmares about that hill at 6k) but I think I'll get through Cork first and assess the situation at the end of next week...

3 stars (average)
    OK, slightly mollified now!

Come along for teh craic, sounds like a good crowd heading down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

Good to see a decent pot for once. Too many road races are insulting the winners of races with woeful prizes. To train 80miles a week and to be handed a joke of a prize that the organiser found in his garage or from the pound shop is not on.1000e should bring out the big guns and fair play to them I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

4 stars (good)
    I'll be heading down to this. I managed to nab one of the pacer's free entries!!
    Haven't runa HM for nearly a year so good to hear that it's nice and flat, should manage a decent PB :D

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭8ofSpades

4 stars (good)
    Signed up for this myself

Glad there will be pacers and really looking forward to it and meeting the boardsie pacers

Going for a 1:59:59 myself

• Advertisement
Advertisement