Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Enniscorthy Strawberry Half

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Nialloooo

4 stars (good)
    Hi Guys
    here is a garmin fo the run, its missing the start which is a run ture the town and this is a hit of a hill but noting to bad and at the start.. Hope it helps

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/29348942

Look forward to meeting some of you for a nice frosty one after :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

3 stars (average)
    Nialloooo wrote: »
    Thanks for the link. Looks pretty flat alright, particularly when you view it in metric. You went out a bit fast on the first mile with a 6:47, before reigning it back in a bit. :)

4 stars (good)
    HA I know got a bit over extited, didnt take me long to cop on dough :D , have been working on the pace and keeping it constent, so hoping to keep it nice and steady for the 1/2 and looking forward to compareing the two runs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

4 stars (good)
    I'm down with the inlaws on Saturday night so I might give the route a run out on Sunday morning.

4 stars (good)
    not sure you will enjoy the route as much in that weather slogger jogger

4 stars (good)
    Ran most of route today. I didn't start at the town centre start point but a few ks into the route near Tomalossett. Followed course in the race direction from there and when I reached Enniscorthy my finishing bit took me out to where I left the car, so nearly 19.5k of a run at a comfortable pace on tired legs after consecutive days runs.

For the most part the route is enjoyable. Quiet country backroads. If there are hills they are overcome quickly.. theres no drags uphills. The downside to the route, in my opinion, is when you hit the N11 having crossed the Slaney with c. 5k to go. You've a pretty flat and straight run along the N11. Good for maintaining pace but running along a main road like this is just not for me. There was a bit of a headwind this morning along this stretch too.

Very humid this morning. You could see the overnight rain evaporating off the road in stretches.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭fitness fan

4 stars (good)
    Does anyone know the breakdown of the relay sections? I am running with 2 newbies and they want to do the easier legs, I don't mind which leg I do so any help would be grateful. Don't want to scare the life out of them on their first outing!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

3 stars (average)
    Does anyone know the breakdown of the relay sections? I am running with 2 newbies and they want to do the easier legs, I don't mind which leg I do so any help would be grateful. Don't want to scare the life out of them on their first outing!!;)

From the RD;
    "Breakdown for the relay is as follows: 1st leg 5K, 2nd leg 7K and 3rd leg 9K.
    As you can see all legs are not the same distance which adds to the variety...but to be honest it was somewhat dictated by finding suitable relay change over points! After lengthy analysis we came up with this.
    Details will be up on the website shortly."

4 stars (good)
    thanks for that..have a few friend debaiting on doing it or not, think the break down will get them all in due to the range of distances.. injury, under training etc took its toll on my group i had talked into doing the full half .. not all as up for it when the beer wares off lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭RAL3

Just entered this based on the recommendations on the thread, wont be racing so looking forward to it as an sociable run with some of the famous boards pacers (whichever ones I can keep up with!).

4 stars (good)
    From the RD;
    "Breakdown for the relay is as follows: 1st leg 5K, 2nd leg 7K and 3rd leg 9K.
    As you can see all legs are not the same distance which adds to the variety...but to be honest it was somewhat dictated by finding suitable relay change over points! After lengthy analysis we came up with this.
    Details will be up on the website shortly."
    Cheers for that donothoponpop they can select their own legs then but looks like I will be doing the last longer leg.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

3 stars (average)
    Just booked this today after coming out of Cork in one piece. I think my best half (in training runs) is around 1.52 so hoping to take a good few minutes off that.

3 stars (average)
    Just booked this today after coming out of Cork in one piece. I think my best half (in training runs) is around 1.52 so hoping to take a good few minutes off that.
    I know at least one of the pacers of the 1:45 group is a decent runner and all-round nice guy, so you could do worse than stick with him. I'm sure the other 1:45 pacer will be along to ban me shortly.

3 stars (average)
    I know at least one of the pacers of the 1:45 group is a decent runner and all-round nice guy, so you could do worse than stick with him. I'm sure the other 1:45 pacer will be along to ban me shortly.

Pacer Job Description: Hold Balloons for a while.
    Trainee KC take 1: "oops"
    Trainee KC take 2: "oops"
    What unfortunate slapstick calamity awaits KC balloons in Enniscorthy? I've booked my seat, can't wait to see!

3 stars (average)
    Pacer Job Description: Hold Balloons for a while.
    Trainee KC take 1: "oops"
    Trainee KC take 2: "oops"
    What unfortunate slapstick calamity awaits KC balloons in Enniscorthy? I've booked my seat, can't wait to see!
    I've only ever had one calamity! Right so, you can hold the balloons, and I'll do the running. :)

• Advertisement

3 stars (average)
    I've only ever had one calamity! Right so, you can hold the balloons, and I'll do the running. :)

Sorry, mixing you up with VR in Dublin I think!:o

Although if the upshot is the arrangement above, win win.

4 stars (good)
    OK guys on i serious note, who is staying down in enniscorthy to enjoy the post race festivities?? the hotel on the web site doing a good deal and its nice pool and all and the fair will have good crowd? i suggest a boards meet up in the antique tavern .. any takers?? (in case your wondering i have a self imposed ban on pubs since may till the night of the race hence I'm all about the social side now :D lol )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

I'd be up for doing a boards lunch meet-up or something similar after the race... Like most others I assume, I won't be hanging around Enniscorthy on the Sunday night, up early on Monday for work...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

4 stars (good)
    xebec wrote: »
    I'd be up for doing a boards lunch meet-up or something similar after the race... Like most others I assume, I won't be hanging around Enniscorthy on the Sunday night, up early on Monday for work...

+1
    lift back to dublin if you need it too

4 stars (good)
    Sorry lads i forgot work in the morning for normal people (i work in hotel so monday is like my saturday ), ya but ill be up for that also, there is post run refreshments in the Riverside or the bailey bar does a nice menu also http://www.thebailey.ie/menus/index.html . there seams to be loads on here doing the run so be nice to put some faces to the names

• Advertisement

3 stars (average)

lol...i reckon i will be sticking close to a 1.45 pace alright. Did not realise they would have pacers for this half marathon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Sorry, mixing you up with VR in Dublin I think!:o

Although if the upshot is the arrangement above, win win.

Jaysus dont be bringing me into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

4 stars (good)
    I've entered this too. Looking forward to it, from the descriptions, it sounds like a nice scenic course. Hopefully the weather will be kind to us :D

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭annieee

3 stars (average)
    HI all,

I entered this but now have to pull out due to injury.

I've cleared it with the organisers that it's ok for someone else to use my entry.

'Selling' it for less than face value - just want to recoup some of my money.

Takers name will be registered instead of mine - all above board! :D

PM me if interested.

3 stars (average)
    annieee wrote: »
    HI all,

I entered this but now have to pull out due to injury.

I've cleared it with the organisers that it's ok for someone else to use my entry.

'Selling' it for less than face value - just want to recoop some of my money.

Takers name will be registered instead of mine - all above board! :D

PM me if interested.

Shameless bump before it disappears off the front page. :o

Anyone interested?

4 stars (good)
    Sorry to hear about your annieee, hope it won't be too long till your back 100%.

Can I ask a question about parking? I'll be coming in from the New Ross side. I don't really know Enniscorthy at all. Where should I be looking to park?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Wexican

RubyK wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your annieee, hope it won't be too long till your back 100%.

Can I ask a question about parking? I'll be coming in from the New Ross side. I don't really know Enniscorthy at all. Where should I be looking to park?

Unless they are closed off for the race and the fair, there is parking down by the Riverside Hotel, and in the SuperValu car park, all beside the start. Otherwise there is a large enough car par park up the town beside the Garda station which is only 5 minutes from the start.

Failing these 3 I'd say on a Sunday morning even with the race there should be a fair bi of street parking if you turn up one of the side streets of the Ross Road as you are coming into the town

• Registered Users Posts: 7 iwonceran

4 stars (good)
    Details of the parking are now up on the event website (race day page) as well everything else you need to know about race day. Check out www.strawberryhalfmarathon com. There will be no parking in the vicinity of the hotel or on the promenade. The race car park is in a field on the other side of the river opposite the hotel and can be accessed from the N11 just south of Enniscorthy. This will be signposted from the N30 New Ross Road as well as from all other major approach roads into Enniscorthy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Looks like I'm out of this one... Pity, was hoping for a fast time (by my standards of course). But physio today informed me it wouldn't be a good idea, but we'll see how I feel after a week of resting up ;)

4 stars (good)
    Sorry to hear that ,Thats why im avoiding my physio till after it ;)

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    Does anybody know if a relay team get a t shirt each at the finish or just one?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 iwonceran

4 stars (good)
    Each member of the relay team will receive a T shirt :)

3 stars (average)
    So on race day, we park in the field on the opposite side of the river to the registration hotel (The Riverside Park hotel), jog the 10-15 mins to the hotel, and leave any excess clothing in the Marquee near the hotel? Sounds good.

3 stars (average)
    Just bumping this again -

If you or anyone you know wants a reduced rate entry to this race pm me - I have entered, can't do it due to injury and have cleared it with organisers that it's ok to transfer my entry.

Looking for 30 quid ;) (45 to enter normally)

**Mod edit- annieee cleared this with us mods first, all seems kosher. Contact her via PM if interested. No more bumps please :)**

4 stars (good)
    So on race day, we park in the field on the opposite side of the river to the registration hotel (The Riverside Park hotel), jog the 10-15 mins to the hotel, and leave any excess clothing in the Marquee near the hotel? Sounds good.

Grand before the race could be more like a 30min walk back after it dough:(

4 stars (good)
    Long range forecast sounds fantastic for Sunday. Sunny, and temps of mid to high 20's. Fabulous for a leisurely stroll, not so fab for doing a half marathon me thinks :eek:

Ah well, this is Ireland, God knows what weather we could end up having on the day! Nowt we can do about it anyway ;)

3 stars (average)
    Got these questions answered for the pacers, but its pertinent to all runners. Keep an eye out for the water stations, especially if it will be hot and sunny!

*Will you have two helium balloons per pacer, time band written on, different colour for each pacing band? YES
    *Will you have laminated pacing band times we can wear on our backs? YES
    *Will the route be marked, if so in K's or Miles? IN BOTH
    *At what stage are the water stations? 5K, 11K,16K,19K
    *At what stage are any hills?SHORT HILL IK, HILL 3K, 8K. AFTER 10K LOTS OF DOWNHILL. GENTLE RISE 12K AND SHORT GENTLE RISE 18.5K

I presume we can turn up on the day, and collect our numbers- or does this have to be done a day before? CAN BE COLLECTED ON THE MORNING. ALL DETAILS NOW ON RACE DAY PAGE OF EVENT WEBSITE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

This race seems to of grown loads. Think I will do it next year. Ennsicorthy is full of nice hills too.

Having the pacers is a great idea, alot more halfs should consider this.

Well done organisers

4 stars (good)
    I ran the Wexford Half last year and this year.Last year had more extras that were not necessary. This year they were cut. However on the whole it appears that the Strawberry half is better organised. Pacers are a great addition especially for the average runner who is constantly calculating at every marker to see if he/she has a chance of getting the time he/she wants. Full marks to the organisers and see you all there on Sunday.......:):):)

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    Ennsicorthy is full of nice hills too.

Not to many on the course dough.. looking foeward to this one big time .. any idea what numbers there looking at attending?

3 stars (average)
    Race day details here. I must say, the arrangements look very impressive- runners car park, bus ferry for the relay runners, four (bottled) water stations, decent goody bag, and the rest (permit, accurate measurement, chip timing)... If they pull this off, they'll be setting the standard for commercial races.

Looking forward to pacing 1:45 group with Krusty. If you're running with us, take your mind off the pain by guessing how long Krusty's balloons last. I'm betting they're burst or gone by halfway:D

4 stars (good)
    Could've sworn I saw a big balloon in the sky this evening. He couldn't have lost it already ;)

3 stars (average)
    Ah now.. When you've dragged something this size around the streets of dublin for 3 hours, 29 minutes and 52 seconds, then you can slag me. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Ah now.. When you've dragged something this size around the streets of dublin for 3 hours, 29 minutes and 52 seconds, then you can slag me. :)

But you f**kin loved it crusty didnt you. I wanted to carry it to give you a break but your thinking was(i am a mind reader) Do you think your going to carry it for the last 6 miles and get the plaudits you can F**K off...........

4 stars (good)
    The weather forecast for Sunday seems a lot kinder than predicted a couple of days ago! :D Cloudy, and temps in high teens.

I've become quite obsessed with the weather forecast since taking up this running lark.

• Advertisement

3 stars (average)
    Cannot wait on target for 1.45 (based on 10 mile pace) which will be a nice 10 mins shaved off pb if i can achieve it. Will make sure i introduce myself to the 1.45 pacers on here.

3 stars (average)
    RubyK wrote: »
    The weather forecast for Sunday seems a lot kinder than predicted a couple of days ago! :D Cloudy, and temps in high teens.

I've become quite obsessed with the weather forecast since taking up this running lark.
    I have found YR.NO to be a great site, for keeping up with my running-weather-related addiction.
    Enniscorthy: 15'C. Partly cloudy. Gentle breeze, 4 m/s from south. 0 – 0.3 mm precipitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭8ofSpades

4 stars (good)
    Cannot wait on target for 1.45 (based on 10 mile pace) which will be a nice 10 mins shaved off pb if i can achieve it. Will make sure i introduce myself to the 1.45 pacers on here.

I'm sure the pacers will be a great help for this.

An earlier post put the pacers as being

1:30 (Having previously ran 1:20)
    Daithi BC
    ecoli

1:45 (Having previously ran 1:30)
    donothoponpop
    Sosa

2:00 (Having previously ran 1:45)
    Racoon Queen
    GoHardorGoHome

But it seems Krusty has slipped in to the 1:45 mix, not sure at who's expense.

Maybe someone in the know can update with the current pacers

3 stars (average)
    8ofSpades wrote: »
    Maybe someone in the know can update with the current pacers

My fault, should have updated this, sorry! Couple of guys can't make it, so the finalized pacing list is:

1:30 (Having previously ran 1:20)
    Daithi BC
    Village runner

1:45 (Having previously ran 1:30)
    donothoponpop
    Krusty Clown

2:00 (Having previously ran 1:45)
    Racoon Queen
    GoHardorGoHome

We should have balloons (different colour for each pace band), laminated signs on our backs with pacing time, and whips. Be sure and say hello, and remember to trust the pacers in the first few miles- its very easy to set off a little too fast. Hold the pace, stay with the group, and you'll hit your time on the day:)

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭8ofSpades

4 stars (good)
    I've heard unconfirmed reports from another thread that VR is giving away 2finger kitkats as part of a weight reduction plan...

joking of course, most of us dream of being able to run a 1:30 half never mind pace one

• Advertisement
Advertisement