Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Enniscorthy Strawberry Half

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

3 stars (average)
    8ofSpades wrote: »
    1:45 (Having previously ran 1:30)
    donothoponpop
    Sosa
    Krusty_Clown
    Sosa's toasta. I bumped him off for a free T-shirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

3 stars (average)
    Sosa says I don't think so...

Sosa.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

8ofSpades wrote: »
    I've heard unconfirmed reports from another thread that VR is giving away 2finger kitkats as part of a weight reduction plan...

joking of course, most of us dream of being able to run a 1:30 half never mind pace one

I wonder whats in the goody bag ??
    I got an extra goody bag in kildare. Gave a bar of chocolate to a young lad crying in the square after the race(his mam was cute). After i devoured the other contents I was tempted to go looking for the young lad to get my bar back.

I dont even like Kit Kats...........But purple snacks now they are my achilles.

Wait until 11.30 sunday to see if i can pace one. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Guys, I need some opinions on my taper for this race... So far, I got a knee injury running Cork 3 weeks ago, have only run once over the last 2 weeks (had to pull up in pain after 4 miles), physio advised rest and I've been eating everything around me - I'm good to go right?!

Still so tempted, gonna go for a short spin of the legs in the morning before making a final decision... Weather conditions look great too.

Oh, and I know this is advertised as fast and flat, but don't kill yourself over the first two miles... From my (admittedly rather basic) knowledge of Enniscorthy and my understanding of the course, the hilliest part seems to be over the first 1.5 miles around the town, after that it should be reasonably ok - if I'm wrong someone please correct me!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

4 stars (good)
    xebec wrote: »
    Guys, I need some opinions on my taper for this race... So far, I got a knee injury running Cork 3 weeks ago, have only run once over the last 2 weeks (had to pull up in pain after 4 miles), physio advised rest and I've been eating everything around me - I'm good to go right?

Sounds like my kinda race prep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

4 stars (good)
    xebec wrote: »
    Guys, I need some opinions on my taper for this race... So far, I got a knee injury running Cork 3 weeks ago, have only run once over the last 2 weeks (had to pull up in pain after 4 miles), physio advised rest and I've been eating everything around me - I'm good to go right?!

Still so tempted, gonna go for a short spin of the legs in the morning before making a final decision... Weather conditions look great too.

Oh, and I know this is advertised as fast and flat, but don't kill yourself over the first two miles... From my (admittedly rather basic) knowledge of Enniscorthy and my understanding of the course, the hilliest part seems to be over the first 1.5 miles around the town, after that it should be reasonably ok - if I'm wrong someone please correct me!!

You know it yourself, you would have to be clinically mad to try to race this one. Save yourself for a better day and stop eating all round you.

That said, I hope you are up for some pub grub while watching England lose to Germany after the race :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

menoscemo wrote: »
    You know it yourself, you would have to be clinically mad to try to race this one. Save yourself for a better day and stop eating all round you.

That said, I hope you are up for some pub grub while watching England lose to Germany after the race :p

Lalala >not listening< I don't like sensible advice!! Dunno how long I'll be hanging around Enniscorthy, spending afternoon in Wexford with the parents and there's a Grand Prix on... We'll see on Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

3 stars (average)
    I'm just in from cycling the course- who on earth started the rumour it was hilly?!? Its certainly flat enough to be PB material, no real hills at all, as far as I could see. If I had to compare it, I would say the Dublin Marathon is a more hilly route- there might be a few slow drags around Enniscorthy, but nothing at all that would compare to the climb to Foster Ave in Dublin. Definitely a fast course.

There were road markings at each mile and kilometer, with posts ready to have sign markers put on them (out tonight, I'd imagine). The posts were in their accurate places (rather than on lamp-posts, for instance). Really beautiful course, picture postcard where it passes castles and rivers, and shaded nicely by the trees along the way. The only part I don't like is the final few miles along the N11, but at least this is flat and the wind should be at your back- should make for a fast finish.

They were still taking entries when I was there this afternoon, and I think they'll be taking entries early in the morning. See you all there, and good luck with hitting those goal times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I'm just in from cycling the course- who on earth started the rumour it was hilly?!? Its certainly flat enough to be PB material, no real hills at all, as far as I could see. If I had to compare it, I would say the Dublin Marathon is a more hilly route- there might be a few slow drags around Enniscorthy, but nothing at all that would compare to Foster Ave in Dublin. Definitely a fast course.

There were road markings at each mile and kilometer, with posts ready to have sign markers put on them (out tonight, I'd imagine). The posts were in their accurate places (rather than on lamp-posts, for instance). Really beautiful course, picture postcard where it passes castles and rivers, and shaded nicely by the trees along the way. The only part I don't like is the final few miles along the N11, but at least this is flat and the wind should be at your back- should make for a fast finish.

They were still taking entries when I was there this afternoon, and I think they'll be taking entries early in the morning. See you all there, and good luck with hitting those goal times!

When's the last time you ran Dublin - you run down Fosters now ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭aero2k

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    you run down Fosters now ;)
    Probably the hardest section of the course. Before I got slightly serious about running, I'd never have imagined running downhill could be so hard!:D
    Sorry OP, way ot.

Best of luck to all doing this, especially krusty and RQ who are pacing.

• Advertisement

3 stars (average)
    Well done to all who ran this today. Great organization, nice route, perfect weather. It was nice to meet so many Boardies back at the hotel. We'll have to come up with some protocol- do you introduce yourself first by your real, or your username?:)

Well done to all pacers too, everyone came in bang on time. (Apologies if I annoyed anyone with my "Daddy Tough Love" shouting over the last few miles, next year stay closer to Krusty, he's a far more pleasant fellow:)). Daithi BC and Village Runner took a few lads under 1:30 who wouldn't have otherwise done so, ditto 1:45, and Racoon Queen and GoHardorGoHome did great, finishing with a large number of runners, on the button.

Some huge pb's from this parish too, well done to Slogger Jogger, who chased Raithne to hit 1:22:xx, great running lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

aero2k wrote: »
    Probably the hardest section of the course. Before I got slightly serious about running, I'd never have imagined running downhill could be so hard!:D
    Sorry OP, way ot.

Best of luck to all doing this, especially krusty and RQ who are pacing.

What? No good luck for me?! Had a great time today. It wouldn't be considered dead flat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

4 stars (good)
    Fantastic Race, hilly but fair. Organisation was spot on. The Mile 1 marker was well off but the others were perfect.
    Delighted to run 1:37:16, a PB by 11 minutes.

4 stars (good)
    Fantastic race. Well done to all the 2:00 pacees. Gohard and I split up virtually from the start and ended up with 2 pace groups, much of my pace group, including boards.ie's very own rubyk flew off on mile 9 or 10 leaving me running on my own, so I slowed down and rejoined gohard and his group again and stuck it out with them until the end. Super pacing with 1:59:4x on gun time with many of my original group already well over the line(was I that annoying that you all wanted to get away from me? did you see that hill on the N11 guys? That was the LAST hill :pac:

Well done to all boardsies, pacers, pacees and racers alike. Another good day out for all! Maybe I should have done that race last night after all - I was fresh as a daisy after 7.5 miles easy yesterday evening. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭runnerboy

2 stars (poor)
    have to say race was well orgainised very tough course BUT they made a complete shambles of the results. prizegiving supposed to start at 1.30 sharp still presenting prizes after i left at 3pm. at least 3 times they stopped to check their results and still made a mess of them. i finished well up in the senior race didn't call me out for the prize. fair enough i thought they are giving me a vets prize, guess what no vets prize either. told the organiser said he'd sort it send it out. watch this space never took any details but assures me i'll get my prize. its a pity cos it was a great organised race plenty of stewards, water, goody bags and food and good music. but i'm sure i speak for a lot of people the results made it look like it was a mickey mouse event organised by people who haven't a clue how to read names off a sheet of paper. in fairness to the guy on the computer the results were spot on but when the race director got them she made a mess of reading them. well i know people will say i am over reacting but me personally would never race their again due to the results fiasco.

3 stars (average)
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Fantastic Race, hilly but fair. Organisation was spot on. The Mile 1 marker was well off but the others were perfect.
    Delighted to run 1:37:16, a PB by 11 minutes.

That 1st mile marker really screwed with my brain. I wondered were we going to have to push everyone to make up a minute over the next mile or two. I was very happy to see the next one arrive on schedule. Otherwise they all seemed to be spot-on.

Really nice race, very well organized (bar the odd ignorant car-driver who managed to sneak onto the course) and great to meet all the Boards guys 'n' gals again. I had a blast with Donothoponpop, who played the bad cop to my good cop.

Me: If you're walking, would you please mind moving over to the left hand side of the road so runners have an opportunity to pass to your right?
    Donothoponpop: Get your frickin ass out of my way. There's a train coming through and we'll trample you if we have to.

I'm now sporting the latest in athletics fashion: a boards singlet suntan. Well done to all those who PB'ed, and it seems like a perfect score for the pacers. Thanks for the organization d'pop. It's great when all you do is turn up, tie the balloons on (tight!) and run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

4 stars (good)
    A great day and a great event. A nice buzz about the place and great to see a good group of Boardsies for real for a change. Nice too to see lots of imra guys out. Jane and Graham are legends. They put trojan work into organising this, their races are very inclusive and they give a lot back to the runners when they do races. I hope they stick with this event.

Sportstracks tells me this had 218m of ascents. Garmin Connect is saying a lot less.. 137m's. I wouldn't classify it as a hilly race. Ironically I was in a line of hill runners that finished pretty well so maybe it suited the hill runners in some shape or form. Congrats to all finishers, particularly those that achieved PBs and pacers that got the job done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭aero2k

What? No good luck for me?! Had a great time today. It wouldn't be considered dead flat!
    I realised once I'd pressed "submit" that I was bound to offend someone - I just mentioned 2 people whose logs I'd dipped into as I wasn't following this thread.
    Sound like a good job was done by all.
    Take this post as a standing "good luck" in all your races!

3 stars (average)
    I'm showing 142m of ascent for teh race. Which might not sound like much (!) but is over 100m up per km. I would normally run fairly evenly (I did 5 or 6 consecutive 4:13kms in A'dam for example) but there was a section today where I ran 4:05 / 4:29 / 4:04 (with HR of 180 / 184 / 180 for them). And thats a pattern that was repeated several times over teh day. It was a nice course but was *not* flat in any way shape or form (in comparison to Limerick and Longford for example).

Not that you should let that put you off - €45 isn't cheap but you could see clearly where the money had gone (unlike some other events). Well marshalled, good prizes (assuming runnerboy's issues are dealt with). Good goodie bag, nice post race food, great info before the race.

Kudos to all the pacers, who (again) did a great job and nice to chat to you all. Particular thanks to VR and Daithi who held me in check for teh first 6k or so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

3 stars (average)
    This is only my second real race and thanks to KrustyClown and Donnotpopthepop i got over in 1.43.23. There was a couple of tricky wee hills which more or less were a short burst but i kept them red balloons in sight and once i passed the 10 mile mark on the main road i knew i was good. If i had of studied the last 3 miles i would of went from it from 10 mile as i had a good bit in the tank running a low 7 min mile for the last. I guess being my first race running around the 8 min per mile i was very careful not to gass.
    I have to say i really enjoyed running with pacers as it was a pleasure, both lads on here played a stormer and i liked the way they drove the pace at the front and kept the stragglers going at the back. With KrustyCowns talk of pints at the end of the race and Donotpopthepop being overally enthusatic about another downhill part of the course:) it was great fun.
    Only negative was the walkers getting in the way and that arse who nearly ran me over in the Jaguar....close to getting a kick.

Thanks again lads a job well done and i hope you are pacing 3.30 in Dublin as i have revised my next marathon time:rolleyes:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/38381067

EDIT: PB by 10 minutes

3 stars (average)
    It was a pleasure. Great to see someone get their race strategy entirely right, and push on past the pacers to a great finish. Congrats on the great PB.

3 stars (average)
    Well done Jackyback on the pb! It was a nice group we had going around, good that you enjoyed the experience:)
    Only negative was the walkers getting in the way and that arse who nearly ran me over in the Jaguar....close to getting a kick.

If its any consolation, I reserved the worst of my "bad cop" spleen for giving him a huge bollockin' through his open side window about road closure orders, responsibility, and not driving into runners. I've never seen anyone go so pale, so quick before. Told the marshalls at a turn that he was trying to drive into runners, and they stopped him taking the turn. He was old enough to know much better.

3 stars (average)
    Well done Jackyback on the pb! It was a nice group we had going around, good that you enjoyed the experience:)

If its any consolation, I reserved the worst of my "bad cop" spleen for giving him a huge bollockin' through his open side window about road closure orders, responsibility, and not driving into runners. I've never seen anyone go so pale, so quick before. Told the marshalls at a turn that he was trying to drive into runners, and they stopped him taking the turn. He was old enough to know much better.

Lol i noticed you giving him a good ribbing alright, what an eejit in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭8ofSpades

4 stars (good)
    enjoyed that race, sorry for not introducing myself. I meant to before the race but I had my young boy with me and by the time I had him to the toilet and had done a few stretches it was time for the off and left the little lad with the OH

On to the race. Was aiming for a 2hr finish and set off slightly in front of the 2 hr pacers with a view to staying in front of them for as long as I could and then falling in behind them at some stage and pushing on to the finish.

Really struggled through the town, and all the way to the top of the first hill. It must have been up hill for the first 3 miles or so. Couldnt seem to find my rhythm and wind. Thought about walking and struggled on before racoonQueen passed me just where the hill flattened off around the 3 mile mark I think.

Was on RacoonQueens shoulder from there and felt surprisingly fresh, must have got my second wind and from that 3 mile point or so all the way up the second hill I felt good and not struggling to keep with RQ who was doing a great job by the way.

Still going well up past that stately home which was on another cracking hill but then the wheels started coming off. I think this was around mile 6. I managed to make it up the hill ok but once it flattened off so did I for some reason.

Dropped back from RQ at this stage and ended up on what must have been GohardorGohomes shoulder with whom I remember passing the 7mile mark as he let a great roar outta him. Again he was also doing a great job.

Once I hit the next hill tho not only the wheels fell off but the whole job lot packed in. Had to slow down to a trot and rambled the rest of the way home with a few too many walking breaks in between.

Not sure why everything collapsed so quickly in a 2 mile span but I have a fair idea - mainly more training required

Finally got home in a 2:16 something or other I think, a bit disapointed but I learned a lot.

Well done to the pacers, especially RacoonQueen and gohardorgohome.
    You guys make it look so easy!

Really enjoyed the race despite the suffering. Thought everything was well organised and great stewardship, plenty of water stations and plenty of hills :rolleyes:

Definitely the biggest drawback was the number of cars that found their way on to the course. Some of those guys were moving fairly hard in the direction towards the runners and were not giving much ground.

Other than that it was a great race imo

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭annieee

3 stars (average)
    I ran this in the end. Thought I was going to have to pull out, hurt my ankle and my whole training schedule went out the window. Took a 10 day break from training, had a short run Friday and felt ok, so decided to do it, but wasn't expecting too much. Did it in 2:11 in the end, happy enough with that for my first half, seeing as my longest run in training was 14kms.

It was so well organised. Great atmosphere, everyone was really friendly, lovely route, though the long stretch at the end was tough with no shade. Or maybe it was just tough because it was near the end. :o

Maybe next time I'll chance running with the 2 hour pacers. :D

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    Sorry to hear you didn't reach your goal 8ofspades, if I'd known you were a boardsie I'd have dragged yer along by the scruff of the neck. :)

There were cars around the 6 or 7 mile mark literally weaving around runners. Madness. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

4 stars (good)
    Thanks so much to RacoonQueen and GoHardOrGoHome, you guys were brilliant, and there's no way I'd have managed yesterday, without ye! Fair dues to you both for doing it, in order to get the rest of us our time ;)

A really enjoyable race, with great company (RacoonQueen and her white lies about hills ;)) and lots of support from locals, who kindly set up extra water stations outside their houses! Definitely the best race experience I've had so far!

Thanks again RQ and GHOGO, you guys are the biz :D

3 stars (average)
    Some great pix from Lindie on Flickr :)

3 stars (average)
    Some great pix from Lindie on Flickr :)
    Some great pics there. Good shots of Amadeus at the start of the race and VR and DaithiBC near the finish line. Was that Pauline Curlie in one of the photos? Seems like it attracted a very high calibre of athlete.

Anyone get a copy of the results?

3 stars (average)

Anyone get a copy of the results?

Just got a text of my result now (10am)

1:45:10 chip- PACER FAIL:p

• Advertisement

3 stars (average)
    Results are up
    http://www.redtagtiming.com/

4 stars (good)

1:59:44 gun time
    1:59:23 chip time

I was pacing to gun time :pac:

3 stars (average)

Did you not see me break into a run after Amadeus told us we had 10 seconds to cross the line? And if Amadeus' watch is correct, I covered the remaining 250 metres in a time of minus 5 seconds, which by my reckoning is a new world record and also casts very serious doubts over the laws of physics (so I'm also due some form of nobel prize).

Race time: 1:44:53 / Chip time: 1:44:45.

4 stars (good)
    Well done ruby you were part of that group that completely abandoned me on about 10 miles! Didn't see any if that group again so that all probably got similar times to you which is brilliant!

3 stars (average)
    Did you not see me break into a run after Amadeus told us we had 10 seconds to cross the line? And if Amadeus' watch is correct, I covered the remaining 250 metres in a time of minus 5 seconds, which by my reckoning is a new world record and also casts very serious doubts over the laws of physics (so I'm also due some form of nobel prize).

Race time: 1:44:53 / Chip time: 1:44:45.

Congrats on teh prize Proff :)

10 seconds? It may have been 20... Besides I was trying to protect Le Cheiles record as teh best pacer of all time and couldn't have some Clown taking his crown...

3 stars (average)
    Congrats on teh prize Proff :)

10 seconds? It may have been 20... Besides I was trying to protect Le Cheiles record as teh best pacer of all time and couldn't have some Clown taking his crown...
    You mean Lecheile as in he who 'sleeps on the finish line for 5 minutes before stepping over'? There's photos from Limerick showing him fast asleep on a pillow, waiting for the 3:30 group to come in. :D

3 stars (average)
    You mean Lecheile as in he who 'sleeps on the finish line for 5 minutes before stepping over'? There's photos from Limerick showing him fast asleep on a pillow, waiting for the 3:30 group to come in. :D

That's just bad manners. At least have the decency to skulk a few corners away from the finish line, as myself and Oisin11178 did. Lovely couple of pints, they were.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

4741481723_9444cd84be.jpg

4742117974_016acb6e87.jpg

4741482361_57c7107429.jpg

4742120060_68d3c40493.jpg

4741491851_a842d5a219.jpg

A bit later than planned my Strawberry Half Marathon photos are now online. Cheers to menomememosoco for the lift down - the extra hours sleep I got from a lift was much needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Nialloooo

4 stars (good)
    must say well do on great race (its my home town race so always going to say that lol ) but really i enjoyed it, expect the run up the n11, the heat was a killer but a great move having the last water station at the top of the hill ohh and the tyota celica that flew by me at 4mile marker if i had of had the speed to catch him it would of got a kick (saw it in town last night was thinking of having a word but thought better about it) great to meet some of you after the race .. new pb by 4 mins .. 1:35 ;-)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

4 stars (good)
    Havent read the whole thread but was there yesterday and said hi to a few of ya. You should wear nickname tags like donothoponpop tho. It sure makes you easier to spot. I had a hard race, way off what I would have liked, and in spite of the roars of the pacers, I couldnt stay with them. A sorry 1.45.55 for me, but had a great time sitting on the grass in the sun afterwards. A great day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 coraiste

2 stars (poor)

Definitely not flat.
    I wasn't part of this discussion before the race, but I was there yesterday, hanging onto the end of GoHardOrGoHome's group for a while, until the hills got the better of me. Thanks to him though still managed to knock 3 mins off my (one and only) previous HM.
    Thanks a mill ... you did a great job:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 coraiste

2 stars (poor)

This was the only negative in an otherwise well organised race, but for me it's a fairly huge negative.

The amount of cars passing through was just silly. I was lucky to be still near a pacemaker for the worst stretch, as he kept an eye out for us.
    Once we hit the N11 I felt really unsafe, having to run around the cones out into the traffic to avoid the walkers. I asked a few of them to keep in, and got told off! By the time we got down to the town there was no space at all to run in, and I ended up at one stage out on the road between a car and a lorry.
    It's all fine to say the organisers made a great effort but surely safety is the main thing to look after (followed by route markers and prizes!!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

RubyK wrote: »
    Thanks so much to RacoonQueen and GoHardOrGoHome, you guys were brilliant, and there's no way I'd have managed yesterday, without ye! Fair dues to you both for doing it, in order to get the rest of us our time ;)

A really enjoyable race, with great company (RacoonQueen and her white lies about hills ;)) and lots of support from locals, who kindly set up extra water stations outside their houses! Definitely the best race experience I've had so far!

Thanks again RQ and GHOGO, you guys are the biz :D

Thanks Ruby although apart from the first two minutes of the race I didn't see you for the entire race! How far under the 2 hours did you get?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

4 stars (good)
    Have to say I agree the walkers were a big problem. I heard a pacer yell at them, and I told a few to move in. They made i hard to run and dangerous on the main road alright. Two ladies were up in front with the fast runners at the start and totally blocked anyone in the crowd behind them. A briefing for walkers before the start would not have gone astray. The cars would not have been half the problem if the walkers had stayed in at the sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

4 stars (good)
    Thanks Ruby although apart from the first two minutes of the race I didn't see you for the entire race! How far under the 2 hours did you get?

3 mins 50 seconds. Really enjoyed it! And fair-play to all you pacers, it really was a selfless act you all did ;)

3 stars (average)
    Oryx wrote: »
    Have to say I agree the walkers were a big problem. I heard a pacer yell at them, and I told a few to move in. They made i hard to run and dangerous on the main road alright. Two ladies were up in front with the fast runners at the start and totally blocked anyone in the crowd behind them. A briefing for walkers before the start would not have gone astray. The cars would not have been half the problem if the walkers had stayed in at the sides.

You're always going to get walkers in an event like this. They help with the costs, but logistically they are going to meet up with the runners at some point (or vice versa), as road closure orders are only for a defined time. But you're 100% correct in your assessment; walkers need to move to the side rather than the middle. You can give all the briefings you like: there's still going to be groups of four ladies walking four abreast, refusing to break formation. The "no headphones" was mentioned in the briefing, and I still saw loads of runners with headphones!;)

The cars were a right pain in the arse. Very difficult when drivers feel they can overtake runners on the wrong side of the road, and just drive into the flock when they meet another car. The section along the N11 was too narrow to deal with runners, walkers, and cars flying by at 100kph- its an accident waiting to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 wannabee runner

4 stars (good)
    Hi all,
    new to this. did the half marathon in enniscorthy yesterday-my first!it was tough going but made all the better by the lovely lady who paced us slow kids all the way round. it was just a training run for her but for us newbies she helped us enormously. she uses this site and her husband paced the 1.45. she may not have ballons on yest but she was brillant for us and helped us get round in a decent time for us. thanks to her!!
    really enjoyed it and thought the pacers were a great idea.

3 stars (average)
    Hi all,
    new to this. did the half marathon in enniscorthy yesterday-my first!it was tough going but made all the better by the lovely lady who paced us slow kids all the way round. it was just a training run for her but for us newbies she helped us enormously. she uses this site and her husband paced the 1.45. she may not have ballons on yest but she was brillant for us and helped us get round in a decent time for us. thanks to her!!
    Lol. I'll pass on your best wishes. I know she was very glad of the company.

3 stars (average)
    Hi all,

She's much nicer than her husband too...

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    4739601148_03d078a77d.jpg

Did no one tell them they're not supposed to be running on their own? :pac:

Some great pictures of the pacers from Lindie.

Advertisement