Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lazer bore sight

Options
  • 09-05-2010 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

anyone have or use a laser bore sight? if so are they any good?

tommy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

tommyboy26 wrote: »

tommy

I think there was already a thread about this. most think the are expensive shi1te. Will only get you on paper and if you first set up rifle @25 yards you will be on paper anyway!

Take out the bolt and look down the bore. if the bore is on paper then you are on paper!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

In my opinion you're better of buying the likes of a Hawke Shotsaver ( good old fashioned optical yokiemabop with a grid ). It gives you a good indication of where have you're at even if the fit isn't perfect. With the laser ones you're basicly dailing in your scope to a red dot projected from what should be the center of the bore. And with the cheaper ones the emphasis is on the word should.

Another benefit of the shotsaver type boresighter is that once your rifle and scope are sorted you only need to dail it back to the exact spot on the grid corresponding with your zero to have your settings to where they should be if the scope for some reason takes a knock.

In my opinion you're better of buying the likes of a Hawke Shotsaver ( good old fashioned optical yokiemabop with a grid ). It gives you a good indication of where have you're at even if the fit isn't perfect. With the laser ones you're basicly dailing in your scope to a red dot projected from what should be the center of the bore. And with the cheaper ones the emphasis is on the word should.

Another benefit of the shotsaver type boresighter is that once your rifle and scope are sorted you only need to dail it back to the exact spot on the grid corresponding with your zero to have your settings to where they should be if the scope for some reason takes a knock.

http://www.scottcountry.co.uk/products_detail.asp?productID=1550

I've mixed feelings on these. £54 plus shipping leaves them a little expensive.
    But they have studs to fit all conventional calibres

Added bonus you can use it in your shed as you do not fire a shot.
    When you go to the range it will be on paper.

I'm not sure how good they are for larger scopes eg 56mm with high mounts, or how good they are for making sure your scope is level on the x axis, or left right hat ever you want to call it.

Ask some of the boys here and see if they will lend you one.
    I don't have one, but I did use one before belonged to someone else.

It's like looking at graph paper and you adjust your crosshairs/reticle to suite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

tommyboy26 wrote: »

tommy

I have the deluxe model ....http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=24534/Product/LASER_BORE_SIGHTER

as i use it quiet a bit i find it very good. For the money its great value as well if it were available at the time i would have gotten the next model up.

If you zero a lot of guns then there handy .. otherwise there really no use to you.

Just my .2 cents

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

I got a loan of one off a friend of mine. I didn't find it very good. I dialled the sight onto the red dot then had an after thought to rotate the laser site while in the barrel to see if it would stay in the same place. Needless to say the bore sighter had moved . I'ld say they would get you on paper alright but for the kind of money your talking for one they are a waste, you'll only ever need to use it the once - when fitting a scope.

The best way to zero is to use a black and decker worktop and fit the rifle onto it so it doesn't move. Adjust it so the bore is on the white paper and then fire a shot. Adjust the sight onto where the bullet hole is and the next shot should be bang on. This works fine for .22s but I doubt it would be any good for a .308.

• Advertisement

I got a loan of one off a friend of mine. I didn't find it very good. I dialled the sight onto the red dot then had an after thought to rotate the laser site while in the barrel to see if it would stay in the same place. Needless to say the bore sighter had moved . I'ld say they would get you on paper alright but for the kind of money your talking for one they are a waste, you'll only ever need to use it the once - when fitting a scope.

The best way to zero is to use a black and decker worktop and fit the rifle onto it so it doesn't move. Adjust it so the bore is on the white paper and then fire a shot. Adjust the sight onto where the bullet hole is and the next shot should be bang on. This works fine for .22s but I doubt it would be any good for a .308.

It works well if you can clamp the gun in place.
    A selection of G-Clamps are needed of various sises and soft material to not mark the stock etc.

I've done it in a mates house years ago, but you need a shed and 25 or 50 yards to get it right.

Not very practical in this PC H&S world we now live in.

in the states a lot zeroing is done under roofed conditions. That way you get a true zero independant of wind.
    Reds Indoor range South Austin Tx is who I reference. Savage place:D

Advertisement