Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It is time to follow the guidelines/rules

• 10-05-2010 12:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭

Reading through various threads in the Photography forum lately it appears that various guidelines/rules are being ignored by posters.
    examples: Images too large, quoting images and challenge deadlines etc.
    I feel in my opinion that Moderators are not as fair or evenhanded as they should be when dealing with certain posts.
    I enjoy Boards.ie and in particular the Photography forum but lately there are far too many threads sliding into unsavoury tit for tat posting. Just my thoughts and I won't be saying anymore on this subject.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

And did you follow the guidelines & rules, out of interest, by pming a mod of the forum on this issue?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59554038&postcount=3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Couldn't have said it better myself Xiney :)

OP, you have to realise that mods are volunteers, they cant follow every single post in every thread. The report button is there for that reason and the PM feature, you should take action on such posts by reporting them. This is a community after all :)

I personally think the mods of this forum do an excellent job and are probably the most lenient on here

I take my hat off to you mods

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

yeah and this is hardly the place to be discussing any problems you might have with the modding of the site this is the photography forum.

Mods are people just like you sitting at a computer making a contribution even if they are doing what you say they are doing you need to cut them some slack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

what's a challenge deadline?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

I think he has raised a good point worth having a discussion about what so bad about that ? Heaven forbid.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Chorcai wrote: »
    I think he has raised a good point worth having a discussion about what so bad about that ? Heaven forbid.

backseat modding...

its all the ingredients for a nasty thread too

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there are too many rules and regulations around here, not too few.

I don't like telltales but as most people here will know I think boards.ie in general is totally over modded, I do hate photographs being quoted though!
    So I agree with everyone. :D

I notice it's the Mods on this thread here who blindingly sing from the same boards consitution hymn sheet.

I loved that ad and also the pisstake one from some group of friends, I still didn't get an answer though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Does anyone else think the limit on the random thread should be upped to 1024px? Surely everyone here is using a decent resolution screen now...?

foto joe wrote: »
    Does anyone else think the limit on the random thread should be upped to 1024px? Surely everyone here is using a decent resolution screen now...?

For certain shots, ie panaramas and those narrow rectangle shot ala

846A6F7FE9A14AE2B5E25E1702D41B38-1200.jpg

Normally to meet the size here you just copy n paste extra 'large' from pixie but the above photo is 'very large' option.

No, it's too big. You have to factor in bookmarks and google Desktop too

I brought up the idea before about having a seperate thread for panorama photos with no horizontal limit, was going to start it when next I had one to offer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

backseat modding...

its all the ingredients for a nasty thread too

I don't think it needs to be a nasty thread if everyone keeps it civil and it doesn't descend into a shouty mob waving pitchforks and nifty-fiftys at eachother.

In my experience, this is one of the better-moderated subforums on boards. There are several I stopped posting in because I got sick of stay on-topic or this thread will be closed posts the second you posted something that didn't directly reference the OP. I haven't seen much stubborn over-moderation here, so I don't really have any complaints on that front. That said, I haven't been posting here too long.

I do think that a thread like this is more conducive to keeping things in the open than PMing a mod (who may be the one you have problems with, and who may ignore you) but pixbyjohn, I think you need to be more specific about the issues you're having in order for this to be a constructive message rather than just a general moan.

As far as the image thing goes, I'm a mod on another site that has threads like this and trying to get people to re-host or resize their images is horribly time-consuming. For some reason I actually though images here were limited to 800 pixels on the longest side; I'm not sure why, but I thought this was the case.

The 800px limit crunches down to 500px for Flickr users, 'tis very frustrating! :p Wish I was a fan of pix.ie or Flickr started listening to their users!

Tallon wrote: »
    No, it's too big. You have to factor in bookmarks and google Desktop too

?

what size screen/resolution are u actually using?

The 800px limit crunches down to 500px for Flickr users, 'tis very frustrating! :p Wish I was a fan of pix.ie or Flickr started listening to their users!

It's never too late to give up meat/smokin...er flickr. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

800px width fits perfectly onto 1024px monitor. Suits me as I use an old laptop for all my internet dabblences

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

I browse from work in a windowed firefox, if people post pics that are too big, I can't see them without maximizing, which I won't do, so you can go ahead and post 1024, but you can forget about thanks from me if you do, as I won't ever see your image.

If your picture is any good, it will be good at 500px, seeing it 'big' won't help a crap picture get better.

• Advertisement

there's also the fact that I don't want to waste my bandwidth

Xiney wrote: »
    there's also the fact that I don't want to waste my bandwidth
    You have a limit?
    what isp are you with? www.darkages.ie? :p

yes, I have a limit.

I also have a husband who managed to download 50+ gigs of the nhl playoffs this month, so we're over our limit, and our bandwidth is being throttled. :rolleyes: Therefore, loading images is like being back in the dark ages, and if it's bigger than 800 px I pretty much just close the tab 'cause I've got better things to do.

?

what size screen/resolution are u actually using?
    Mulitple screens in multiple locations, the one I'm on now is a 19" 1280 x 1024 and the way I have my bookmarks and taskbar the 800px is perfect.

So he gets to download 50gigs of video leaving you to look at small images.... oh I wouldn't put up with that! :p

So he gets to download 50gigs of video leaving you to look at small images.... oh I wouldn't put up with that! :p

there have been choice words :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

make them as big as ya like, he he

i using 2 24" monitors running 1920 wide on each

:D

stcstc wrote: »
    make them as big as ya like, he he

i using 2 24" monitors running 1920 wide on each

:D

Ok... :D

If your picture is any good, it will be good at 500px, seeing it 'big' won't help a crap picture get better.

True but having it so small will loose a lot of the impact and doesn't show the detail (in images that that's important).

"The Big Picture" will help make my point: http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/
    Great images, small or big, but the larger size gives them a lot more impact.

• Advertisement

It's alright everyone tends to stick to the 800 rule, the odd time a large pic gets posted, its no big deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,401 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I prefer to see rules on forums black and white, everyone treated equally. Don't like seeing people upset on both side (upset being probably to strong a word). Yes, can tolerate a certain amount of guideline breaking, but if something bugs you it bugs you. Can understand an image format being better suited to a larger size but better to post a link or something to the larger size. Quoting images is an easy mistake to make for a new user, but does disrupt a thread as does somebody pointing it out. I've no problem with the way this forum is moderated, I think people should report posts if they feel strongly enough about it and let the mods either do something about it or let it go.

yes, I have a limit.

I also have a husband who managed to download 50+ gigs of the nhl playoffs this month, so we're over our limit, and our bandwidth is being throttled. :rolleyes: Therefore, loading images is like being back in the dark ages, and if it's bigger than 800 px I pretty much just close the tab 'cause I've got better things to do.
    Instead of complaining about better things to do sort out ur sufferagettes rights with that bandwidth hogging hubby of urs!

point remains, though. I'm sure I'm not the only person browsing this forum who has a limit on bandwidth and/or a less than rapid connection. (Some of the crap that passes for broadband in Ireland comes to mind!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

point remains, though. I'm sure I'm not the only person browsing this forum who has a limit on bandwidth and/or a less than rapid connection. (Some of the crap that passes for broadband in Ireland comes to mind!)

Absolutely. While I had NTL on Church street when I moved to Prussia street they had no presence there and so I had to go with a 3G modem and a 5GB limit which sucked. Thankfully it only lasted for a few months but I can imagine there are many many people on 3G with such pathetic limits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

Absolutely. While I had NTL on Church street when I moved to Prussia street they had no presence there and so I had to go with a 3G modem and a 5GB limit which sucked. Thankfully it only lasted for a few months but I can imagine there are many many people on 3G with such pathetic limits.

I'm on 3 Mobile Broadband here, the limit is 15GBs but they're dropping it to 10GBs in June. I used 14.6GBs last month:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

First up, I'm sorry I haven't had time to respond to this earlier. As noted elsewhere, we're volunteers and I am not on boards 24-7
    pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Reading through various threads in the Photography forum lately it appears that various guidelines/rules are being ignored by posters.
    examples: Images too large, quoting images and challenge deadlines etc.
    I feel in my opinion that Moderators are not as fair or evenhanded as they should be when dealing with certain posts.
    I enjoy Boards.ie and in particular the Photography forum but lately there are far too many threads sliding into unsavoury tit for tat posting. Just my thoughts and I won't be saying anymore on this subject.

I appreciate this. There are two problems here and possibly a lot of is cultural. There have been some nasty threads here and I have some trouble finding a balance between being a draconian mod supernazi and playing advantage if you like to take a rugby call on it. It is, however, a hard call and I'd note, by the way that I've been heavily criticised in the past for jumping in too quickly.

It would help us a lot if people reported posts though because while it would be desirable to read each and every post, it's hard and especially it's hard to do it in a timely manner. It also gives me a better feel for where the user communite sees the limits.
    sheesh wrote: »
    yeah and this is hardly the place to be discussing any problems you might have with the modding of the site this is the photography forum.

Mods are people just like you sitting at a computer making a contribution even if they are doing what you say they are doing you need to cut them some slack.

Typically this gets discussed in Feedback and in fact, Photography has been discussed quite a few times there in the last 18 months.

Well there's also a balance to be found between the desires of the people who run the site and the desires of people who march onto this site.
    there are too many rules and regulations around here, not too few.

While you could argue that, part of the reason for that is that they have gotten evaluated as people run them ragged, overstep the mark or do things which ultimately cause problems. That being said, the overwhelming majority of users don't ever come anywhere close to trashing through them, or trolling or being plain difficult.
    I don't like telltales but as most people here will know I think boards.ie in general is totally over modded, I do hate photographs being quoted though!
    So I agree with everyone. :D

I notice it's the Mods on this thread here who blindingly sing from the same boards consitution hymn sheet.

I think you're incorrect here. Most of the support that I have read thus far does not come from mods. However, my past experience is that those who whinge most about overmodding are those who've caused the greatest amount of complaints from the user community and headaches for the mods.

We looked at this last year - I stopped modding for abotu 6 months but just prior to stopping I did look at the possibly of raising the limit to 1000pixels or 1024. Currently the charter provides for 800 although very often, that gets quietly ignored if people are good enough to mark the subject headers comments about large images.

I recognise that this is the photography forum with a special interest, however; against that we have to balance the problem that leaving aside download caps and 3G mobile broadband, there are still quite a few people on dial up and thus there are some site wide guidelines about large images.

Random is a special case because it is a massively heavy post from the point of view of content. Where a C&C might have 3 or 4 photographs to load, Random tends to grow to around 1200-1500 posts at times and depending on which settings you have for boards could be loading between 20 and 40 images.

I could see us raising the bar to 1024 for non-random threads but for those threads where we have a large number of images inline, I would still consider it desirable to implement local thread rules.
    I brought up the idea before about having a seperate thread for panorama photos with no horizontal limit, was going to start it when next I had one to offer!

I'm okay with that in principle provided the thread is marked as containing large images.
    I don't think it needs to be a nasty thread if everyone keeps it civil and it doesn't descend into a shouty mob waving pitchforks and nifty-fiftys at eachother.

I agree and hope that this will be the case.

In my experience, this is one of the better-moderated subforums on boards. There are several I stopped posting in because I got sick of stay on-topic or this thread will be closed posts the second you posted something that didn't directly reference the OP. I haven't seen much stubborn over-moderation here, so I don't really have any complaints on that front. That said, I haven't been posting here too long.

I have been guilty of that on certain occasions but not all that often here lately. Part of that is that it tends not to be so necessary.
    I do think that a thread like this is more conducive to keeping things in the open than PMing a mod (who may be the one you have problems with, and who may ignore you) but pixbyjohn, I think you need to be more specific about the issues you're having in order for this to be a constructive message rather than just a general moan.

Sometimes a general moan works though.
    As far as the image thing goes, I'm a mod on another site that has threads like this and trying to get people to re-host or resize their images is horribly time-consuming. For some reason I actually though images here were limited to 800 pixels on the longest side; I'm not sure why, but I thought this was the case.

The charter allows for 800 although I tend turn a blind eye provided it's not done in the Random Thread which reiterates the rule in the title. That being said, where they are over the top, the posts get deleted.

and dial-up. i don't know what the current stats are but a couple of years ago about 45% of browsers on the site were still on dial up which stunned me.
    Kbeg3 wrote: »
    I'm on 3 Mobile Broadband here, the limit is 15GBs but they're dropping it to 10GBs in June. I used 14.6GBs last month:o

With the best will in the world, discussions about broadband speeds from here on in will get moved to the off topic post.

By and large I try to keep as low a profile as possible for a couple of reasons. I don't like disrupting threads as far as possible. I don't necessarily like the whole rules thing having had a lot of unhappy "but I didn't break any rules" trolls over the last 2 or 3 years that I've been modding here and on C&T. Basically if you treat the community with some modicum of respect, it's hard to draw my attention so if you do either it's very, very good or very bad. Your call.

I realise that if you're a user per se and you don't know what the mods are up to because they're cleaning up messes or quietly infracting and banning spammers etc, you might not realise how much work can go into making this a green and pleasant place.

I would say however that a forum - to some extent - moves with its posters and as they change, so it changes and we have to take account of that.

It really would help me and I guess the other mods an awful lot, if people flagged problems to us. I don't always pick up on it immediately without that assistance.

If anyone has any questions, I'd be pleased to try and answer. Now I need to go and have a look at the competitions thread.

Calina wrote: »
    Well there's also a balance to be found between the desires of the people who run the site and the desires of people who march onto this site.

90% of the people who replied here are well over the 1k post mark +2yrs of posting I'd hardly call that marching in demanding stuff

In fairness, they're not the ones making work for the moderators for the most part.

Aye, with my 4k+ posts i'm a beacon of responsibility and matureness.

But we love ya all the same !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Ah, but you're the exception that proves the rule :D

Actually I have no real idea what that phrase means ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

No, he's the rule that proves the exception :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

Ah, but you're the exception that proves the rule :D

Actually I have no real idea what that phrase means ...

It means the existence of a definition of a special case or exception implies that there is a rule to be excepted from, although its de facto meaning seems to be "shut up".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

I think the mods on boards do a great job & are to be applauded for it.

So, mods, thank you all!

Sure, there is the occasional things I may not agree with, but this is unavoidable, mods can never keep all of the people happy all of the time.

Look at all the good stuff though!

- There is pretty much no limit to what people are capable of posting on unmodded boards. You really have to see a few bad 'uns before you realise how good boards is! I haven't used my login at dpreview for years, for this reason. Or check out the comments on youtube - this is the type of thing that boards would descend to w/o skilled modding.

- Posts may go OT occasionally (usually in an entertaining way, and usually in the run of play), but posters who are rude, aggressive, etc. generally get shut down fast. Proper order.

- There is a good atmosphere on boards, generally helpful, playful, enthusiastic, positive. Mods have a huge role to play in maintaining this, & I think they do a good job.

Thanks!

-FoxT

You're an awards ceremony scriptwriter in RL by any chance?

Staying on topic in threads is what pretty much killed the Pro Wrestling forum a year or so ago. It's back up a bit nowadays buy still not as busy as aout two years ago (there was a big fiasco on there).

Anyway, threads have to go off topic. Fair enough, if it's a C+C then it's rare it'd go off topic, but I don't think any threads I've made on here (with the exception of C+C as per above) have stayed on topic, and I can happily say I've spent money on unnecessary crap because of it :)

A thread about night time photography made me end up wanting a tripod. A tripod thread a while ago made me want a camera bag. A neck-strap thread a while back made me get two new neck straps and discovered hand grips. A thread on what to look for in second hand cameras made me realise I needed UV filters and want a flash gun.

It's the off topic nature of the forum that makes it so good in my opinion. Most of the things I ask on this forum (or other people ask, and I view curiously) descend into a topic about something different and they make for great reading and are often very informative.

This time last year (literally, I bought my first DSLR in June 2009) I hadn't got a clue about DSLR photography. Actually, at the start of this year I still hadn't got a clue. But it's this forum that has helped me get into debt buying things I didn't need, and that's a great thing in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

@Calina

You say to flag the post, so, for example quoting pics in the random thread annoys the ** out of me, you are saying to report that post? I just always thought actual reporting is a bit harsh for a "silly" offense like quoting pics. And I also thought it would be a pain for the mods to get all those reports :o

Anyho, mental note made.

sNarah wrote: »
    @Calina

You say to flag the post, so, for example quoting pics in the random thread annoys the ** out of me, you are saying to report that post? I just always thought actual reporting is a bit harsh for a "silly" offense like quoting pics. And I also thought it would be a pain for the mods to get all those reports :o

Anyho, mental note made.

I can't speak for Callina, but for my own forums, as a mod I'd much rather get a reported post than have to find it on my own.

Reporting posts is a very helpful thing to do!

sNarah wrote: »
    @Calina

Anyho, mental note made.

Yes, afraid so. It's the quickest way of attracting the post's attention to a mod, unfortunately and yes I know it's silly but it's necessary.

In the early days we used to try and resize. Now we just delete. The more that happens, the less the rule gets broken.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I am sorry for a late reply to this. Thanks for all the posts here & the mature way this is being discussed. As said already we Mods are just ordinary users with a few more buttons. I generally try to steer clear of using the buttons for anything other than Spam & tidying up. My approach, as some will know, would be a PM to anyone where there is a perceived problem & normally that is the end of the matter. This is a busy forum on Boards.ie but it is generally well behaved. I think that is because so many of the regulars do meet up & are aware that the posts come from real people & are not just words on a screen.

Recently I have been a bit busy & so have not had as much time to spend on the forum as I used to. That means I am picking up less myself & do rely on the Reported Posts. When you report a post it sends an email to all the Mods. This allows us to review the matter. Sometimes that means editing or deleting, or maybe just keeping an eye on something. I would generally urge people to use the Report Post button when they have a concern. The only caveat there is that the report must be reasonable, like anything it can (and has) been abused. This is rare but continual frivilous reports or abuse in the reports are subject to the normal sanctions available on here.

If you have concerns about the forum of a more general nature or want clarification about an issue then you can send a PM to any, or all, of the Mods. We can then discuss the issue & reply to you about it.

There are rules for this forum specifically (eg. Photo Size) & general rules which apply across the site (eg Advertising) and we as Mods try to implement these in the best interest of the whole community. Doing this is not an exact science & there are a lot of grey areas. We try to assess these as best we can & make the call for the benefit of all. We do not always get it right. We try our best & are aware that often you cannot please everyone. We are also only the bods on the ground & there is a heirarcy on the site with CMods, Admins and Dircectors. When inhabiting mainly one forum it's easy to lose sight of the larger picture, which is Boards.ie as a site.

I would also like to thank the community here. As a forum this is generally a very well behaved & positive place. We have to remember that a forum like this will always be changing. The mix of people change and also their attitudes vary. Those who have been on the forum for a while may find some of the things which keep getting raised to be tiring but try to remember back to when you were new & were asking questions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement