Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are empty/unfinished estates?

Options
  • 10-05-2010 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I was thinking of doing a photo story of the unfinished estates around Galway.
    Can anyone tell me where they are in Galway. (don't worry, I'm not a thief).

Cheers,
    Patrick.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

thief.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

hamburglar-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, I'm sure you're 110% honest. But there's a change that the odd person reading here isn't.

If they are unfinished there wouldn't be much to steal.

I'm not aware of any - I rarely go further than walking distance from town.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I think most of them are in East County Galway, but I don't know where any are specifically.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Not in the city but there's one just on the outskirts of Loughrea, railings over the entrance and rows and rows of half finished houses inside it. The sign for the place is so funny now in hindsight, lots of Audi's and BMW's photoshopped into the driveways, yeah, good luck with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Spadina wrote: »
    Not in the city but there's one just on the outskirts of Loughrea, railings over the entrance and rows and rows of half finished houses inside it. The sign for the place is so funny now in hindsight, lots of Audi's and BMW's photoshopped into the driveways, yeah, good luck with that!

+1

Loughrea has a good few "ghost" estates.

Athenry has 2 or 3.

1 is behind the Raheen Woods Hotel.

There's another across from Joyces (up on the hill across from the small bridge)

Another on the way out of Athenry towards Monivea

Actually, there's 2 in Monivea also, one is in Glennaslat and I dont know the name of the other one

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I think you'll find those first 2 in Athenry are finished, the 2nd isnt fully occupied yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭DD67

Davegalway wrote: »
    There's another across from Joyces (up on the hill across from the small bridge)

A mate of mine is buying one of those houses, their been sold by Galway county council as affordable housing and he has been waiting months for them to close the deal according to him there on a go slow and he is realy frustrated with the whole thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

I'm fully open to correction on this, but I think the Reilean estate in roscam (just off the dublin road, past the spar) has only a few houses actually occupied...good few houses in there in various states of completion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭LowOdour

maybe not an estate, but as you come in to moycullen there are 6 unfinished houses on the bend. they have been in the same state for the last year or more

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

there seems to be a shed load of unfinished apartments in leargan, knockncarra. it is half completed but the rest of it is a building site. also around the corner at the bottom of the cappagh road there is a block of apartments there that haven't been touched in over a year at least. and if you go into moycullen (from the galway side) just on your right there some houses that look like they won't be finished anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    I think you'll find those first 2 in Athenry are finished, the 2nd isnt fully occupied yet
    I'm sure they meant the one behind the hotel that you can't see. There is only 3 houses finished, the rest still have all the scaffolding in place. Such a sad site(sight), couldn't imagine living in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

actually, one of the most striking unfinished projects is within city limits: the crown plaza which hasn't been touched since October 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,
    I was thinking of doing a photo story of the unfinished estates around Galway.
    Can anyone tell me where they are in Galway. (don't worry, I'm not a thief).

Cheers,
    Patrick.

There is a small estate about 100m past An Spidéal, looks mostly finished, but appears to be unoccupied.

There is also a half-finished estate called Slí Na HAiteann in An Cheathrú Rua.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Also it's not an estate but there is a big sad looking half finished house on the Loughrea/Craughwell main road, it's been in the same state for about 18months, grass growing up over the heaps of blocks, some poor person is well out of pocket.

There are plenty of unfinished one off houses dotted around the countryside at different stages of completion.

Could be an alternative to the estates.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

There is a small estate about 100m past An Spidéal, looks mostly finished, but appears to be unoccupied.

There is a less than half finished one on the Moycullen road out of An Spidéal ( opposite the mast) and another 2 on the An Spidéal road out of Moycullen ...one was a field with ground cleared and maybe one foundation started called Árd na h-Aislinge and the other is Coill Ard or Bun na Coille ( maybe both) which has a finished front but and with nothing done in the back of it. It think it is one third finished but well finished in fairness.

Lots of half finished one offs in both places and of course in Furbo and Barna and Corcullen.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The Spiddal one is a real enigma & worthy of investigation. 12 "luxury" houses that were virtually "all sold off the plans". Then mysteriously a few became available. A year later the last couple are being sold by sealed bid.
    So they are all supposed to be sold but the gates are locked & the lights arn't on !.

Several are on Daft to rent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Several houses in various states of unfinishedness around Oranmore and Maree; and some estates in Oranmore itself.

And of course the elusive exclusive Bramley where the prices were halved recently; a mere 850000; mostly empty too.

There are a fair few empty new builds in Kinvara too.

Discodog wrote: »
    The Spiddal one is a real enigma

The locals call that one "Namaland"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

There's a few in Doughiska. One at the back of Fearann Ri.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

Several houses in various states of unfinishedness around Oranmore and Maree; and some estates in Oranmore itself.

And of course the elusive exclusive Bramley where the prices were halved recently; a mere 850000; mostly empty too.

There are a fair few empty new builds in Kinvara too.

I was gonna say this, Bramley in particular. I was driving past down there yesterday coincidentally. Proper strange feeling around, would make some good shots i'd say. Rinville is still one of the strangest things i have seen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Spadina wrote: »
    Also it's not an estate but there is a big sad looking half finished house on the Loughrea/Craughwell main road, it's been in the same state for about 18months, grass growing up over the heaps of blocks, some poor person is well out of pocket.

If that's the same house I'm thinking of, it's been in that state for longer than 18 months, I would say at least 3 years and maybe more.

Plenty of ghost estates in Loughrea, the one across from the hotel was previously mentioned, there's also one called Carraig Mor just off the town bypass that isn't fully finished, but has a few occupants. Would hate to live in an estate like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The locals call that one "Namaland"

Apparently it will not be affected by Nama. Depending on which billboard you believe they were sold a year ago or there could still be a couple for sale. Someone has put curtains up in one of them !.

swe_fi wrote: »
    I was gonna say this, Bramley in particular. I was driving past down there yesterday coincidentally. Proper strange feeling around, would make some good shots i'd say. Rinville is still one of the strangest things i have seen though.

Yea, Rinville is very strange; eery almost. As is Bramley; in fairness they're very impressive houses, but to see so many of them empty and doors boarded up is just odd.

I reckon you could go out to that neck of the woods and get yourself some great shots of both, get a few of the unfinished one-off houses along the way, and then couple them with some shots of the derelict house in Renville park, and Ardfry(Ardfry in particular being victim of people getting ahed of themselves:)), and top it all off with a shot of the sign on a tiny site on the way into the village advertised as being a site for sale with f.p.p for 3 houses. You could call it 'A study in delusional':P.

LOL at 'Namaland' btw:p

As is Bramley; in fairness they're very impressive houses, but to see so many of them empty and doors boarded up is just odd.

The guy who developed Bramley tended to do high end high spec houses. I personally find an estate full of high density €1m+ houses a rather absurd concept TBH :p

He built another one in Barna called Carraig an Iolair and he levelled a site in Furbo near the school but did nothing else with it that I know of.

It is around 100m west of the Connemara Coast hotel behind a blue hoarding.

I'd agree with you on that Sponge Bob; it seemed like an absurd concept to me also. Tho possibly they thought it would appeal to those who wanted to live in the country yet retain an urban feel. Can't help wondering what's going to happen to them tho.

There's a lot of empty houses in Oranisland aswell.

• Advertisement

Another surreal sight is the empty business park on the road out of Claregalway to Oranmore, it was built 3 years ago and is called Claregalway Corporate Park

Advertisement