Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modes help

Options
  • 10-05-2010 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭

OK so modes, the area of heartbreak for most guitarists! But I get it, i understand it from lessons but the only thing left now is to HEAR it!

Anyone got any videos of people actually demonstrating how effective modes can be?? I havent leant them enough to try it myself so i just want to hear some good guitarists using modes so i can hear how the tone changes!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

This was posted up by someone else ages ago and I found it extremely useful in demonstrating the modes

http://www.guitarshredshow.com/carpet/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

damonjewel wrote: »
    This was posted up by someone else ages ago and I found it extremely useful in demonstrating the modes

http://www.guitarshredshow.com/carpet/

Bet that was me who posted that up :D

I still play with that site nowadays!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Guitareaxe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKbPIGnqt80

Watch this video from 3:55

he explains how modes are relative to the key, and gives an example of each one played in the same key and the different flavours they have.

Then check this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp16mRI-mK8

This will give you an example of one of the modes and the unique "colour" it gives, its written in C Lydian. and its by an Irish guitarist by the way:)

Heres another of his, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgZXG_qy1qI&feature=related its in G Mixolydian. Enjoy!

That is EXACTLY what i was looking for thank you. I know the theory but just wanna hear the colour and damn doesn't it sound so cool!

Modal magic!

No problems man, I was in the exact same boat when I was learning modes, confused the hell outta me first but I bagen to watch videos like these and it really helped!

• Advertisement

Whats going on in guitardans videos though im a little confused.

His backing tracks, lets say the first link is C lydian. So is his backing track playing chords from the C major scale and he is playing the lydian mode over it? Or are the videos in another key and he has moved to the lydian mode of whatever key he's in??

Ya see I think i understand it but still get confused on parts!

An understandable confusion!!

Thankfully with a simple answer, the chords he is playing are not in the key of C major, they are in the key of C Lydian!

The root chord Is a C lydian, the first ,third and fifth of the Lydian scale played with some complimentary notes from the same scale. The rest of the Chords are following a C Lydian Chord Progression in the same pattern as the scale! And hes soloing over it in the same mode starting at the same root.

A Lydian chord is the IV in the major scale, but he is making that Chord the key (in this case C) and playing the Lydian scale patterns from the same root of the key, progressing the chords in the Lydian format to make it a song.

An important thing to understand about theory is the cyclical nature of it.

Every Key has a scale, and chord progression , and every note/chord in that scale/progression has its own mode and chord progression stemming from it. so hes just focusing in on the Lydian part and using this sound exclusively to build a pallete showing the unique flavour of the mode.

The same is true of the G Mixolydian song

If you solo in the normal lydian mode position starting on the IV note of the major scale of the key you are in. then you are simply playing the major scale starting at a different point and ending at the same point so eseentially its something most people do all the time, and has no effect on the ears, its just major.

but Playing the Modal shapes in unatural places against the key is what gives them there unique flavours.

The first video I posted here is a perfect example of what I mean.

Its a head scratcher I know but keep with it and you will find your own way of understanding and using the modes. tell you what , ill PM you a little secret about the modes. ;)

Guitaraxe, another very helpful post. All the theory feels overbearing sometimes and you just need someone to break it down into its simplest form and it all becomes clear again.

So what I really need to focus on is how to USE modes and when and where to use them so they achieve their best effect!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 franamico

king-stew wrote: »
    OK so modes, the area of heartbreak for most guitarists! But I get it, i understand it from lessons but the only thing left now is to HEAR it!

Anyone got any videos of people actually demonstrating how effective modes can be?? I havent leant them enough to try it myself so i just want to hear some good guitarists using modes so i can hear how the tone changes!

Hi,
    Most good guitarists , don't think about modes or anything....they just play.

In order to train your ear to recognize modes, scales etc..., I suggest that you consistently work with an ear training software.
    a really good one is auralia, by Sibelius...

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Music4life

I remember When i was trying to Figure out modes in Music college. I Kinda Understand how they work but never got around to using them. I will some day. I remember watching lots of Frank Gamble Videos, it helped me a lot I just didn't put in the effort.

Here's one
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbhjFScOMT4

Guitareaxe Pm me your model secrets please ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement