Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPO Nightclub in trouble

Options

Comments

Fuk.. that place was class craic in 1st nd 2nd year! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

****e, means more scum everywhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

good riddance to the place. the dance floor was always sticky and I will never forgive them for not serving me my curry that time when they were forced to give meal tickets and serve food.

I avoided the place like the plague even in college only been there once ever. But as someone said above like coyotes it keeps the riff raff out of other places (particularly at weekends) so its not a good thing if it has to close. Oh and of course it means more job losses for Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

I used to frequent that place for a while, granted it was over a decade ago but it was a great spot at that time, many a good night.
    It definitely didn't have a rough crowd back then weekdays or weekends. They used to book some excellent acts, i remember seeing
    Fat Boy Slim there, pretty mad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Ah it's a pity, it can be good craic there sometimes. I went for a job interview there last month, pretty glad I didn't get it now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I was in there once. Some girl who was langers knocked into me and spilled her kopparberg mixed fruit all over me. I was sticky from head to foot. Never went back there after that. Everyone was a bit too messy for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

padi89 wrote: »
    I used to frequent that place for a while, granted it was over a decade ago but it was a great spot at that time, many a good night.
    It definitely didn't have a rough crowd back then weekdays or weekends. They used to book some excellent acts, i remember seeing
    Fat Boy Slim there, pretty mad!
    Same as that. I haven't been in there years, but it was a good spot in it's time.

It seems to have become quite infamous in the years since I stopped going there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

It's not gone yet, the bank has a receiver running it and they'll keep it going and try to sell it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Staceyann

The GPO is where I spent my college years... wud be very sad to see it go, even tho I was never going to step foot in it again!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭left_behind

spent many nights there and i can count the amount of scumbag incidents there on 1 hand. have seen far worse in karma cps and any of the other so called classier places. gpo was the place to go when u didnt have the shoes on or it was an unplanned session goin to the late hours. never forget the ****e nights or the 70s and 80s nights with the cheap test tube shots very messy but always good. they play a bit of proper dance music still not many places doing that now

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Shanley

Not closing down anyways, as for the reciever in there it is still the same manager running the show!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

I loved the GPO in college. Free in on a monday night and you could get kicked out for being too pissed and apologise to the bouncers the following week and just get a wink and a 'behave'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Loved The Drum part. Indie alt nights on tuesdays i think? Great craic

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

2nd year of college I lived in there, and especially the summer after (summer 2007), for some reason that summer it was the only place do any business. I remember I used my GPO card so much that the bar code wore away on the back and I had to wait until the following september before I could get a new one. That month of paying into the GPO nearly killed me. Thank god the clubs got rid of the loyalty cards and went with stamps instead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Rag week was good in there. Playing Tekken 4 on the big screen in the nightclub with a pint at 2pm. Those were the days. Wasn't there much apart from that. Do remember the sticky floor every time I was there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

The GPO is trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

At least it wasn't always full of pretentious coked up **** stains like a good chunk of other clubs in Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

At least it wasn't always full of pretentious coked up **** stains like a good chunk of other clubs in Galway.

Just a different class of **** stain.

Which clubs would these be? Give me pretentious people over scumbags any day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

I have being going there for a lot of years and have never gotten any hassle. There's aggro in every club in every town, difference is the scumbags in other clubs have different haircuts and nice shirts.

Considering there's more "scumbags" there than other clubs in Galway there isn't a related higher level of fights etc in there.

By the way I don't go looking for trouble and have never gotten trouble. Some people seem to just get into trouble regularly, probably just really unlucky.

Advertisement