Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training locations.

• 10-05-2010 1:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭

Just back from a weekend assisting with OW classes in Mallinbeg, Glencolmcille, Co Donegal (I recently started DM training). Congratulations to the ten new divers certified today!
    First time there, lovely site, excellent calm venue for training, the sun was splitting the stones and the sea was flat calm.
    My fcuking calves are killing me from 2 days of lugging tanks and kit up and down those fcuking steps, though!

Where does your club/centre train its students, and what are the benefits and drawbacks of the site?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

Haha. I know those steps only too well!

Gorgeous location, great sheltered diving, well worth a visit if you're looking for a good location.

Also it's a fine base for boats if you want to visit Rathlin O'Beirne island (some good dives) or down along the cliffs under Sliabh Liag.

Looks like you got good weather this weekend, but it's a site that's sheltered from most weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Just back from a weekend assisting with OW classes in Mallinbeg, Glencolmcille, Co Donegal (I recently started DM training). Congratulations to the ten new divers certified today!
    First time there, lovely site, excellent calm venue for training, the sun was splitting the stones and the sea was flat calm.
    My fcuking calves are killing me from 2 days of lugging tanks and kit up and down those fcuking steps, though!

Where does your club/centre train its students, and what are the benefits and drawbacks of the site?

We do first dives with our trainees there every easter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Our club do the first novice dives at Malinbeg around Paddys Day every year, have done for years! Would recommend Carraroe for novice dives too, shallow shore dive, plenty of life...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

Locum motion see the light go free man you 'll never go back . i sold my dive gear this year to fund my instructor course. can't see me having a tank on my back again.

Couple of old videos someone in the club took in Malinbeg;
    http://vimeo.com/11936582
    http://vimeo.com/11936608

• Advertisement

nice ones joe brings me back especially the slip at low low tide when you cant even get to the steps. we eneded up rigging a knotted rope to help get people out at one stage.

Would you not just go down a few of the steps then step off?! It's deep enough at the pier!

Its been a few years to be honest but I think it was the getting back out was the issue at a really low tide steps were dry with maybe a foot or two of water depth so you would have had to climb a lot. Only happened once when i was there and we spent a few weekends there with trainees over the years. On the main steps we even looked at the possibility of getting a really really long whip from the compressor down to pier to save hauling up cylinders but needless to say!!!

Ah yes that makes sense for getting out - doh! Must have been spring tides!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

only location I've experienced so far was scraggan pier (or some name similar) ... Waterworld dive school - where I did my PADI earlier this year..... indoor pool and calm clear waters ...and right on the waterfront.... excellent staff (cant praise them enough...very patient)

I'm a complete Nooooob - but getting into it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement