Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will religion, in Ireland, die out?

Options
  • 10-05-2010 2:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭

I don't know anyone my age, or younger, who goes to mass. Apart from weddings, funerals, christenings and, maybe, christmas day.
    Do you think participation in religion will shrink to levels of 15% or under when our parents generation die out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Let's hope so.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

I don't know anyone my age, or younger, who goes to mass. Apart from weddings, funerals, christenings and, maybe, christmas day.
    Do you think participation in religion will shrink to levels of 15% or under when our parents generation die out?

I was thinking about this recently, and for me, even anyone I know of my parent's generation wouldn't go to mass (although I'm 24, I don't know how old you are).
    My answer would be I hope so.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Within 2 generations I reckon we'll be mostly non-theist

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Guaranteed.. I was reading some ghost stories there in another thread and they're infinitely more believable than the religion buzz. And I don't even believe in ghosts.

My kids will not be believers either.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I wonder if the next census (2011?) will show a decrease in Roman Catholics? Most people I know just tick the box even though their not practising Christians!

If I recall correctly, according to the last census, Ireland was 70% Catholic!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

My local church is packed out every Sunday - especially with young couples & kids.

I'd say that a lot of this has to do with the Church's stranglehold over our schools - you're more likely to get your kids into the local school if you go to mass every week & in country areas like mine, where there is no alternative to that, I can't see things changing all that fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

shrink to levels of 15% or under does not equate to dying out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Yes, not for a long while though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Maybe it will be viewed the same way as many people nowadays would view our ancestors who used to worship the sun, hilarious.

Though, comparatively I think worshipping the sun at least has some degree sort of merit and logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

The last time I set foot in a church was for my mams funeral, the next time I do it willingly will be for my dads.

After that the church can close it's door to me forever.

• Advertisement

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Though, I think worshipping the sun compartively has some sort of merit and logic.

Provided it doesnt involve staring into it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Maybe it will be viewed the same way as many people nowadays would view our ancestors who used to worship the sun, hilarious.

Though, comparatively I think worshipping the sun at least has some degree sort of merit and logic.

I worship the sun - it makes my plants grow. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

What? You mean you don't all knell before the green altar.
    In our new religion we turn our parishioners donations into carbon credits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I really really do think that our childrens generation will be -15% religious, yes. Like you recyclingbin anytime I fnd myself amongst my peers (not just my freinds in particular, random groups of people aswell) if the topic comes around to religion it is extremely rare for anyone to be a believer in a particular organised religion. A few people do seem to be deists but barely any Christians, Muslims, Mormons ect. Therefor I believe that without parents (us) telling their future children (our children) that x brand of superstition is without a doubt true, atheism or agnosticism or to a lesser extent deism will become the norm. Can't fukking wait to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

My local church is packed out every Sunday - especially with young couples & kids.

I'd say that a lot of this has to do with the Church's stranglehold over our schools - you're more likely to get your kids into the local school if you go to mass every week & in country areas like mine, where there is no alternative to that, I can't see things changing all that fast.

I wouldn't raise kids in Ireland for reasons like that alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Catholicism is alright, but it's no Special K...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Openmp

Wishful thinking on the part of atheists. Atheism is faddish in nature, is a minority belief system, and just like roller-blades will eventually get over its little premature ejaculation into the premier league of intellectual thought.

The church I go to is also packed out every Sunday. Young couples, children as well as older people. Frankly we're better off without the a la carte/cultural "Catholics" who only rock up when it suits them and wail for the local priest (who they don't even know the name of) when they're on their death beds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

While schools in Ireland remain in the grip of the Catholic Church, I can't see religion here ever dying out. Although Religious education isn't the whole of the problem, ending it is a good start to solving the problems caused by the ancient superstitions. Complete secularisation is definately the best way; but even then you'll still have large swathes of people who just want to carry on believeing in "God". Religion will, more than likely, never die out anywhere. Sad, though it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

Openmp wrote: »
    Wishful thinking on the part of atheists. Atheism is faddish in nature, is a minority belief system, and just like roller-blades will eventually get over its little premature ejaculation into the premier league of intellectual thought.

The church I go to is also packed out every Sunday. Young couples, children as well as older people. Frankly we're better off without the a la carte/cultural "Catholics" who only rock up when it suits them and wail for the local priest (who they don't even know the name of) when they're on their death beds.

You're certainly voicing your "opinions" today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Is atheism a belief system or is it just dealing in facts.
    At heart, I'm a scientist. If it can be proven mathematically or scientifically, I believe it. Everything else is opinion, possibilities, probabilities and hokum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Everything else is opinion, possibilities, probabilities and hokum.

You just described the Catholic Church right there, imo.

blow69 wrote: »
    You're certainly voicing your "opinions" today.

Not to mention contradicting oneself a hell of a lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

lol @ the idea of religion being in the "premier league" of intellectual thought :D

Hilarity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Aridstarling

Atheism is faddish in nature, is a minority belief system, and just like roller-blades will eventually get over its little premature ejaculation into the premier league of intellectual thought.

Sorry, are you saying roller-blades one had a place in the higher echelons of our intellectual consciousness?

Is atheism a belief system or is it just dealing in facts.
    Atheism is not believing in a god, that's it. Everything else is up to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Openmp

How many years has Pied Piper Dawkins been around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Born in 1941, so 69 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Pied piper.......... You like fairy tales do you?
    My favourite begins "In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And The Earth"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

I've not once listened to or read anything he has to say.
    I figured it out when I was 15. I was sat in church listening. The more I listened, the more I came to the conclusion that the whole lot was utter bollox.

There's some good moral lessons in catholicism. But tell me the stories. Don't wrap them up in something that expects me to believe in a wizard of oz type figure.

• Advertisement

mikom wrote: »
    Pied piper.......... You like fairy tales do you?
    My favourite begins "In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And The Earth"
    Really? Poor story flow, lack of consistency in characters and some downright obvious plot holes ruined it for me.

Advertisement