Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will religion, in Ireland, die out?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

Guaranteed.. I was reading some ghost stories there in another thread and they're infinitely more believable than the religion buzz. And I don't even believe in ghosts.

My kids will not be believers either.
    maybe your kids wont be belivers but dont forget when kids grow up they make up their own minds about things and you have no say in it then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

maybe your kids wont be belivers but dont forget when kids grow up they make up their own minds about things and you have no say in it then

yea if they become drug addicts and crash out they may turn to the "lord" for "help"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Needler

Will stupid threads, on boards.ie, die out?

To the point where less than 15% of threads are stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

Will there ever be a time when people can embrace religion if they want too without people giving out about religion and those who follow it, and a time when people who dont follow any religion are being insulted by those who strictly do. Honesty both sides are as bad as the other.

Seriously people, just get with the times, believe what you want, be good to others, yada yada and stop griping over what people choose personally. Everyone unto their own is the message. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

HOPEFULLY.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

K4t wrote: »
    Let's hope so.:)

and with 109 thanks ...

I said it before, I'll say it again. Boards.ie is full of athiests.
    Religion cant be talked about here when you think about it. The "debate" (if you wanna call it that) will be totally one sided.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

If anything is right in the world then it'll die out completely in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

LighterGuy wrote: »
    and with 109 thanks ...

Religion cant be talked about here when you think about it. The "debate" (if you wanna call it that) will be totally one sided.

Just because we know that the catholic church is a corrupt abomination doesn't mean we're atheists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Needler

Laisurg wrote: »
    Just because we know that the catholic church is a corrupt abomination doesn't mean we're atheists.

I still don't get the hate for the catholic church

Any priest I met was a salt of the earth lad. feck it a few young boys had a priest's knob rammed up their hole in the 50's but that was a long time ago and since a lot of the actual people involved are dead/retired the blame is now being pinned on who ever's left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Needler wrote: »

Any priest I met was a salt of the earth lad. feck it a few young boys had a priest's knob rammed up their hole in the 50's but that was a long time ago and since a lot of the actual people involved are dead/retired the blame is now being pinned on who ever's left

in the 50's? would ya cop on.

"One of the most notorious cases of sex abuse in Ireland involved Brendan Smyth, who, between 1945 and 1989........"

mark my words, it's still going on to this day.

wouldnt shock me if they found a boy farm in the vatican. dirty feckers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Laisurg wrote: »

Theres been countless threads made here over the times asking if people believed in god. threads with polls. "No" was always the majority answer. And not by a bit, a landslide.

Majority of boards.ie members are infact athiests. Its no secret.
    Needler wrote: »

you're going to open up a can of worms with that line. RichieC "corrected" you already sure, even so, you're going to get about 10 users saying the same :rolleyes:

Nothing like a good ol church bashing for athiests ... am i wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

you're going to open up a can of worms with that line. RichieC "corrected" you already sure, even so, you're going to get about 10 users saying the same :rolleyes:

Nothing like a good ol church bashing for athiests ... am i wrong?
    I'm confused as to why you've put "corrected" in inverted commas.

Needler's post basically comes across as "Sure it was only a bit of child rape, and it happened yonks ago; big ****ing deal."

Not only was it completely wrong, it was flagrantly flippant and probably deserves to be ridiculed ten or so times.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Well I hope so. Catholic Religion in Ireland didn't become a major thing until the 1930's-1980's really despite certain things being banned even in the 19th century and early 20th century, religion has been around for centuries but the strong catholic faith has only been apparent in Ireland for a few decades so say it will die a slow death fairly soon its dying as it is, so say in the next few decades the catholic religion will die out as to whether other religions will is uncertain but I wouldn't be surprised if Ireland eventually became a none religious country and only a few limited people are Christian maybe catholics.

The catholic religion will definitely die out with all that has been going on and all the crap we have been fed over the years. You can be christian or be spiritual and pray but not necessary have to follow a religion or go to mass or to church or what ever. Religions teach faith and the good things in life and things like that but its not the be it and end all there is more to life than religion. Life is too short to be consumed by religion as well as other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Religion = cult, tooth fairy and santa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

and with 109 thanks ...

I think you are missing the point, most Irish people, who surf the web, are aware or use Boards.ie.....and therefore DONT believe in God.....thats a lot of people, most of the population, in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Agus

greenpilot wrote: »
    I think you are missing the point, most Irish people, who surf the web, are aware or use Boards.ie.....and therefore DONT believe in God.....thats a lot of people, most of the population, in fact.

This point should refer to boards.ie members who would be involved in debates on this website or make it known here whether they believe in God. Not all people who surf the web or are aware of boards.ie. So no, it certainly isn't "most of the population".

Disagree with the thread being here (I'd lump all religion threads together into a superthread) but it is, and I'm informed by mods this sort of thing is staying, so here's my take.

I'm wondering how many people out there are, like I am, waiting for Pope Benny & that generation of gob****e preists to fall over dead so we can return to a more liberal church. While Emperor Popeltine's up the top I'm hard pressed to bring myself over the threshold of a church.

I still think there's something to the whole "love thy neighbour as thyself" yada yada, and I'm sure if there is something beyond that's different to what I believe, it/He/they will shrug and send me to what awaits beyond for everyone.

I don't want to get hassle for what I believe. And I'm worried that's exactly what will happen.

The secular aggressives would hassle and hassle and hassle the religious until they relent and give up their faith in public. Not because they've stopped believing, but they've been bullied into staying out of whatever religion they're into.

Will we see a more liberal church in our lifetime? Personally I want to, I really want to. but I don't hold much hope.

Don't bother trying to convert me, or telling me your own version of the "one truth", whatever it may be. I have mine, I'm aware it could be wrong, but it's not going to change.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 160 ✭✭My_left_leg

I don't know anyone my age, or younger, who goes to mass. Apart from weddings, funerals, christenings and, maybe, christmas day.
    Do you think participation in religion will shrink to levels of 15% or under when our parents generation die out?

we can only pray it does .............:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭StudentDad

I doubt if religion in Ireland will die out. What I hope will die out is the slavish adherence to a church that has failed it's members.

SD

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

No, although it does stand a good chance of being replaced by smug quasi-religious atheism.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 160 ✭✭My_left_leg

there was a guy on the radio the other day who told how his under age daughter was abused by a clergyman, yet he stood by the church even after they did little or nothing to redress the situation.

i mean when you're dealing with brain-washing/endoctrination at that level there's not much you can do for the poor fool.

sad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

d'Oracle wrote: »
    No, although it does stand a good chance of being replaced by smug quasi-religious atheism.

Smug and quasi religious!!!:eek:
    Will we have learned nothing from irish catholicism:confused:!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

The Church in Ireland were offered the hand of power & they grasped it.
    Imagine Enda Kenny with a bishop in tow advising him on the morality of all his decisions, that's what Dev had, nothing got the go ahead without the blessing of the church.
    Thankfully they didn't remember their history & all institutions who crave power for powers sake ultimately crumble.
    I see the church remaining on as a fringe body, trotted out now & again to comment on issues of welfare & equality.

Many Catholics deflect the threat of secularism in Europe against the rising number of vocations in Africa & Asia.
    It must gaul the church hierarchy however to be losing such a foothold in their cradle territory & missing out on the coffers generated by Europe's greater wealth.
    Being denied a mention of god in the EU Constitution / Lisbon Treaty must have felt like the ultimate rejection.
    Good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

We will put down one idiots ideology and pick another idiots ideology to follow...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

We will put down one idiots ideology and pick another idiots ideology to follow...

I'm afraid a lot of people will do exactly that.
    I suspect that many people's brains are programmed to believe, and it doesn't really seem to matter all that much WHAT they believe in. For them, there just needs to be something "more", and they'll take it where they find it.

Religion, Fascism, Communism, Alien abductions and conspiracy theories... all proof for humanities desire to delude itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

I still think there's something to the whole "love thy neighbour as thyself" yada yada, and I'm sure if there is something beyond that's different to what I believe, it/He/they will shrug and send me to what awaits beyond for everyone.
    Not only is that view not in any way unique to Catholicism, it's not in any way unique to Christianity.
    Will we see a more liberal church in our lifetime? Personally I want to, I really want to. but I don't hold much hope.
    What do you mean by a "more liberal Church?" Do you know there are hundreds of Christian denominaitons out there that are already far more liberal than the Catholic Church?

The idea of religion in Ireland in the future is neither here nor there.

However, the idea that a religious body in Ireland is allowed to act in a manner that places it in any way above the law of the land is frankly repugnant.

I want legislation passed that makes clergy (or anyone for that matter) who fail to disclose knowledge of a crime to the police to be as liable for the consequences of that crime for non-disclosure.

SD

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It is a debate, just because the majority of people have one opinion doesn't mean the debate is biased it just means there's a pretty obvious result.

One side is speaking the truth the other side is trying to convince them that they should be allowed to believe whatever they what to believe and let that believe corrupt the world.
    I don't believe the church has anything good left in it, it's had it's time and is now defunct.

and with 109 thanks ...

This isn't a question of theism bad atheism good - this is a question of freedom of thought and expression.

Unfortunately the RC church in Ireland has chosen the autocratic route when dealing with society and in 'modern' Ireland - I use that phrase loosely - the benefit of education and the exposure of people to the world beyond the borders of Ireland on a daily basis, has meant that people as a whole do not react well to irrational power structures.

A King may move a man, a father may claim a son, but remember that even when those who move you be Kings, or men of power, your soul is in your keeping alone. When you stand before God, you cannot say, "But I was told by others to do thus." Or that, "Virtue was not convenient at the time." This will not suffice. Remember that.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0320661/quotes?qt=qt0325023

At the end of the day when people see the RC church acting in a manner contrary to it's own core beliefs, how the hell can that same church expect to retain it's moral authority?

SD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

doovdela wrote: »
    Religion = cult, tooth fairy and santa

to hell with that, both sides are just as bad as each other and quite frankly if I as a person want to believe in something, a group of people who cant accept peoples beliefs but feel they need to in written form constantly give out about the whole establishment rather than the individual crinimals whose crimes I will add will never be forgiven in my opinion, are not going to sway my view.

I have no problem with any other religion or anyone who doesnt believe in religion. everyone is entitled to that choice and thats more than fair. I do have a problem with big mouths however who wont shut up about giving out about it. give out about the wrong doers no bother, Im with you there, but christ give the "the church is a joke, a myth bla bla, a rest. As another poster said, they have known some decent priests, church attendees. I have too. So peace out :D

Advertisement