Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will religion, in Ireland, die out?

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Could you show me where in my post that I said I told the medium anything?

The medium had an assistant outside the room. She basically tells you what to expect. She tells you not to say anything for your own benefit, the reason being that you can trust what your hearing. The most I said was yes a few times for the whole reading. Basically what happened when I entered the room, he held my hand, closed his eyes and dident say anything for about two minutes. Then he opened his eyes and said:

Medium: There's a David here (not real name), does that name mean anything to you?

Me: Yes.

Medium: Well he's telling me he's your dad he died in August of a heart attack.

Medium: He's telling me your in Glasgow with you mam and your brother and they are are off visiting your aunt at the moment.

Me: Yes that's right.

It basically went on like this for about 20 mins.

Look you probably will not believe and I respect that. But I assure you that he was giving me messages from my dad, lots and lots of precise details. It actually felt like my dad was there that day, it was totally mad.

Oh by the way, there's a difference between a medium and a psychic.

I'm sorry. But you were taken in by a charlatan who preys on the miserable to make a quick buck by telling them pretty lies, usually about the recently deceased.
    It proves that some people are dicks. But it does not prove that god exists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

I'm sorry. But you were taken in by a charlatan who preys on the miserable to make a quick buck by telling them pretty lies, usually about the recently deceased.
    It proves that some people are dicks. But it does not prove that god exists.

I wasn't charged. And I never said god exists, just that I know an afterlife does.

Very impartial there bollocko. :rolleyes:

Still, I don't think this is really the place to decide that The god/Santa/cthulu/Allah/Vishnu/ceiling cat tradition should die out.

If you believe, you believe.

If you don't, you don't.

Most people posting here are set in their ways, not gonna change.

And round and round the merry-go-round goes......

Edit: to legally cover my ass (and cos it's true) I don't believe dr. bollocko had his Mod hat on when posting on this thread, nor do I believe he allows his opinion on the matter cloud any decisions he makes as Mod Almighty.

Now KNEEEL AND PAY TRIBUTE TO YOUR MOD!!!!!! *prostrates before dr. bollocko*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

I wasn't charged. And I never said god exists, just that I know an afterlife does.

As do I.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭hideous ape

philologos wrote: »
    Not really. The Jewish law imposed the death penalty. As of Christ the death penalty no longer stands, as if Christ has taken away the penalty of one's sin how could one impose death for the penalty of theirs. That's the definition of hypocrisy. That's an essential view of the Christian faith as Christ taught it (Matthew 18), Christianity 101 one could say.

As for Psalm 137 which you are citing. It is referring to the anger that the writer had at the fact that the Jewish people were in Babylon. It is not God endorsing such an act. It is rather a man communicating his anger.

pmcmahon: Don't believe what the internet (including boards.ie and other sites) tell you. If you are really curious and you'd like to know the truth I can only say give God a go, ask Him to guide you and read the Bible for yourself. You might be surprised at what you'll find.

Having read the whole Bible from start to finish and several sections multiple times since then I can honestly say that RichieC is presenting you a disingenuous rendering. Find out for yourself is all I'll say.

Watch the videos I linked to earlier in the thread and ask if it makes sense.

You are so right.

I was just a psychotic serial killer until I read the Bible but now I'm Christian and my previous crimes against humanity are ok cause they all fit within the framework of the Bible. I live my life according to the bible now...ALL OF IT! So now I have over 100 slaves and will be buying a few more next week. A few of them disobeyed me so I beat them just enough so they would barely survive in hospital. Some of them are crippled for life but their still alive. All of them are African and Chinese but none of them are Jews though cause that would be wrong. This allows me off the hook according to God. Leviticus 25:44-46.

I now earn most of my considerable wealth by selling young girls into the sex trade. The recession has forced me to lower my prices but fortunately I am still turning a nice profit. I was disgusted to hear my Church was now cracking down on child sex:mad: Exodus 21:7-11.

I now kill numerous types of people every week by bashing their heads in with a rock. I have so far killed thousands of adulterous women and adulterous men, gay men, fortune tellers, etc. I especially enjoy killing people who work Sunday shifts at work. Leviticus 20:13, Leviticus 20:27, Leviticus 20:10, Exodus 31:12-15.

I felt a bit down for killing so many random people so I went to my local priest. He absolved me from all my sins and now I'm happy again. I can now kill again with a smile on my face. 1 John 1:9.

Dear God, your direct instruction "Thou shalt not kill" seems to be completely ignored by almost everyone throughout the entire Bible so like everyone else in the Bible I went with just killing people for religious reasons and while bashing their heads in with rocks and as their blood & brains splattered all over the place I pretended this commandment was only more of a general guideline around which the killing of random people is ok in your name. I hope you approve but judging by your book you think I'm ace.

Oh look some Muslims have moved in next door...better get my skull bashing rocks cleaned up! Deuteronomy 13:7-12.

The Bible...the worlds best known slave labour, child sex, serial killing guide. Available in all good sex dungeons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

You are so right.

The book of revelations is the origin of science. File Close. I'm sure he's only let out of his straight jacket once a month. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

My kids will not be believers either.

So you won't allow them to make their own minds up?;):)

Freddie59 wrote: »
    So you won't allow them to make their own minds up?;):)

This Kids indoctrination is relatively new. Upto 1906 or thereabouts, the First Holy Communion for Catholic Children did not take place until they were at least 12 years of age with no compulsion at that age, they had to be ready.

The Bishop would examine not only the child offered for the Sacrament, but parents and other sibblings would have to pass a test as well. Confirmation often followed two or three years later.

Not all religions accept indoctrinated children, the children must be of an age to accept and they must put themselves forward.

So to make up their own minds, they must be free. Whatever you learn as a child forms you, I believe a child has three rights in this world, their mother, their father and honesty.

After all Christ himself said upon this rock. Truth.

I don't know anyone my age, or younger, who goes to mass. Apart from weddings, funerals, christenings and, maybe, christmas day.
    Do you think participation in religion will shrink to levels of 15% or under when our parents generation die out?

The British Empire tried to crush it - and it survived against all the odds. it will do this time as well. But a different Church will emerge (personally I'd love to see it cede from Rome).

I'm 52, a massgoer all my life. But I also look around at the age profile on a Sunday and it is scary. But it WILL survive. No two ways about it. The faith is too strong - regardless of what the knockers and begrudgers say & wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Context,god damm it,context.
    Is what the bible believers will say to explain why they no longer need to follow every rule in the bible ...including the ones in this funny letter doing the rounds of the internet

Laura Schlesinger is a US radio personality, who dispenses advice to people who call in to her radio show. She recently said that, as an observant Orthodox Jew, homosexuality is an abomination, according to Leviticus 18:22, and cannot be condoned under any circumstances. The following response is an open letter to Dr. Laura which was posted on the Internet.

Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination... End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some other elements of God's Laws and how to follow them.

1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15: 19-24. The problem is how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

4. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is, my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath.Exodus 35:2. clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or should I ask the police to do it?

6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination - Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this? Are there 'degrees' of abomination?

7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle- room here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? Lev.24:10-16.

Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair, like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy considerable expertise in such matters, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Your adoring fan,

Homer Simpson-Caldwell

• Advertisement

But a different Church will emerge (personally I'd love to see it cede from Rome).

You known the Romans took over the Church in Rome and re-badged it as the Holy Roman Catholic Church, so it's in fact not Christ's Church at all.

In it's dying days, the Western Roman Empire was little more than a paedophile cults, having had one of its Emperors introduce the paedophile name into the terror we know today. From that point on the RCC was only a rouse ~ the rise of Islam came about because they did not like the way the new Church was going, it took them about 300 years to see the cesspit that the church was, about the time Islam was rising, St Patrick was doing his thing here.

Why not start your own church. You sound like a reasonable person and I'm sure there is a congregation waiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Could you show me where in my post that I said I told the medium anything?

The medium had an assistant outside the room. She basically tells you what to expect. She tells you not to say anything for your own benefit, the reason being that you can trust what your hearing. The most I said was yes a few times for the whole reading. Basically what happened when I entered the room, he held my hand, closed his eyes and dident say anything for about two minutes. Then he opened his eyes and said:

Medium: There's a David here (not real name), does that name mean anything to you?

Medium: Well he's telling me he's your dad he died in August of a heart attack.

Medium: He's telling me your in Glasgow with you mam and your brother and they are are off visiting your aunt at the moment.

Me: Yes that's right.

It basically went on like this for about 20 mins.

Look you probably will not believe and I respect that. But I assure you that he was giving me messages from my dad, lots and lots of precise details. It actually felt like my dad was there that day, it was totally mad.

Oh by the way, there's a difference between a medium and a psychic.

Would be nice if you had a recording, what you remember being said and what was actually said is probably different. Did he say "your father died in August of a heart attack", or "someone close to you died recently", and you filled in the rest of the details? Guess we'll never know.

I do know that Derren Brown and Keith Barry give readings too, and the people come out feeling just as convinced as you that their readings were specific and accurate. Those two know it's a trick though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Dave! wrote: »
    Would be nice if you had a recording, what you remember being said and what was actually said is probably different. Did he say "your father died in August of a heart attack", or "someone close to you died recently", and you filled in the rest of the details?

You'll find most mediums record their readings, I have a tape of my reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

philologos wrote: »
    Not really. The Jewish law imposed the death penalty. As of Christ the death penalty no longer stands, as if Christ has taken away the penalty of one's sin how could one impose death for the penalty of theirs. That's the definition of hypocrisy. That's an essential view of the Christian faith as Christ taught it (Matthew 18), Christianity 101 one could say.

As for Psalm 137 which you are citing. It is referring to the anger that the writer had at the fact that the Jewish people were in Babylon. It is not God endorsing such an act. It is rather a man communicating his anger.

pmcmahon: Don't believe what the internet (including boards.ie and other sites) tell you. If you are really curious and you'd like to know the truth I can only say give God a go, ask Him to guide you and read the Bible for yourself. You might be surprised at what you'll find.

Having read the whole Bible from start to finish and several sections multiple times since then I can honestly say that RichieC is presenting you a disingenuous rendering. Find out for yourself is all I'll say.

Watch the videos I linked to earlier in the thread and ask if it makes sense.
    Which version of the bible do you recommend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Paparazzo: Whichever you find best readable. If the Bible is about you trying to find out more about the God of the Universe then it should be about what can help you to do that in the best way possible. I like the New International Version personally as its nice, clear and easy to read while maintaining the substance and the power behind God's word.

I generally read other Christian authors as well, but I would always make sure to check what they are saying first before deciding whether or not to agree with them necessarily. I also listen and watch debates and such between Christians and atheists. I found this series of podcasts incredibly useful for understanding the big picture of the Bible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

housetypeb: You do know that Dr. Laura Schlesinger is an Orthodox Jew rather than a Christian right? Of course the implications of Christianity are different from Judaism, simply because Christians believe that the Messiah has come and the Jews claim that they are still waiting. The New Testament is abundantly clear as to the Torah law being fulfilled by Christ. Namely that the penalty for sin has been paid by His crucifixion and that we've been born again by His resurrection. The New Testament is abundantly clear that the Old Testament serves as a sign of what was to come in Christ. That's why Christians read the Old Testament differently to Jews in that Christians take into account what Christ said and did for mankind when they read the Old Testament. Everything appears in a new light if you will:
    We are not like Moses, who would put a veil over his face to prevent the Israelites from seeing the end of what was passing away. But their minds were made dull, for to this day the same veil remains when the old covenant is read. It has not been removed, because only in Christ is it taken away. Even to this day when Moses is read, a veil covers their hearts. But whenever anyone turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away. Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. And we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.

bnt wrote: »
    Then 2011 is a chance for people to tell the truth, rather than fall back on the default "Catholic" position. I can understand that it might be uncomfortable to realise that the faith has gone (if it was ever there), but it's the only way we're going to get a clear picture of what's really happening to religion in Ireland.

Churches will come and go. Faith in the Almighty is eternal. Much as you may try to wish it away. Bidden or not bidden - God is present.;)

Im not wreacking my kids heads with going to church on a sunday morning.
    Why the fvck would I want them sitting ina big room stating at some menlte case who hangin from a crosswhos the son of god. ?

Im sorry I can think of far better things to be doing.

If the catholic church disspanded our shores for more desserty surroundings Id be delighted.

Its a bain of a fair nation and has kept are backwards veiw in cheack for wat to many years.

Maybe using a spellchecker?

gbee wrote: »
    the rise of Islam came about because they did not like the way the new Church was going, it took them about 300 years to see the cesspit that the church was

ISLAM? Are you serious??!! Bad example man!

ISLAM? Are you serious??!! Bad example man!

I'll only add that the RCC Church had attracted a large group of Eastern ideologies looking for a direction and swelled the RCC Church for unprecedented growth.

Approximately 300 years alter, all those eastern ideologists started to follow Islam.

• Advertisement
Advertisement