Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will religion, in Ireland, die out?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Openmp wrote: »
    Wishful thinking on the part of atheists. Atheism is faddish in nature, is a minority belief system, and just like roller-blades will eventually get over its little premature ejaculation into the premier league of intellectual thought.

The church I go to is also packed out every Sunday. Young couples, children as well as older people. Frankly we're better off without the a la carte/cultural "Catholics" who only rock up when it suits them and wail for the local priest (who they don't even know the name of) when they're on their death beds.

In terms of footballing references, your attempt at an intellectual comment on the status of aethietism, would find you relegated out of the Conference League & have your ass dumped into the Blue Square North.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Really? Poor story flow, lack of consistency in characters and some downright obvious plot holes ruined it for me.

The bit with the zombie was cool though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Openmp

You atheists won't put your hand in your pocket to support your beliefs. Nor are you willing to organise. Probably because ye can't agree on anything, because you believe in nothing. lol. The Church has billions of dollars of assets and over 1.1 billion followers. You have a bunch of embittered live-for-the-moment consumer types interlinked on the interweb whose sole purpose in life is to maximise pleasure and minimise pain. One self gratificatious act after another. Now, if only we could get Science to figure out how to make us all immortal. lol.

Now, if only we could get Science to figure out how to make us all immortal.

Thought your lot had that figured out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

sole purpose in life is to maximise pleasure and minimise pain.
    Absolute ****ers.
    How dare they???
    I'm angry now.

-> to the church.

• Advertisement

You atheists won't put your hand in your pocket to support your beliefs. Nor are you willing to organise. Probably because ye can't agree on anything, because you believe in nothing. lol. The Church has billions of dollars of assets and over 1.1 billion followers. You have a bunch of embittered live-for-the-moment consumer types interlinked on the interweb whose sole purpose in life is to maximise pleasure and minimise pain. One self gratificatious act after another. Now, if only we could get Science to figure out how to make us all immortal. lol.

Westlife have billions of dollars and over 1.1 billion followers. That doesn't mean that they still aren't a shower of f*ckwits.

However, at least they are only dangerous to our musical sensebilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

You atheists won't put your hand in your pocket to support your beliefs. Nor are you willing to organise. Probably because ye can't agree on anything, because you believe in nothing. lol. The Church has billions of dollars of assets and over 1.1 billion followers.

And blood on its hands.

You forgot that bit.

whose sole purpose in life is to maximise pleasure and minimise pain.

Gonna be a tough choice tonight over the ribbed or the lubed.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

7/10

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Atheism is faddish in nature,

Fads that are verifiably older than Christianity? Yeah, those god damn fads. They are so faddish in nature.

*EDIT*: Oops, just checked your short lived posting history. Obvious troll, is self contradicting and obvious.

• Advertisement

How come the only time we get religious people posting in AH, they are always from the extremist looney end of the religious scale?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

How come the only time we get religious people posting in AH, they are always from the extremist looney end of the religious scale?
    Because it's a lot easier to wind people up from that standpoint

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Jakkass often posts here too

Oh....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭KevinVonSpiel

& I'm hanging on 'til the demutualisation, after it converts to a PLC, Christ only knows how much we'll get.. I got shares worth 2 grand (punts, too, not Euros) when the First National Building Society became First Active..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭theboxer

IvySlayer wrote: »
    If I recall correctly, according to the last census, Ireland was 70% Catholic!

Whats your point?

Westlife have billions of dollars and over 1.1 billion followers. That doesn't mean that they still aren't a shower of f*ckwits.

They arent. Their music is garbage if you are male and over 12 years old, but the lads themselves seem like a decent bunch. Id happily sink a beve with any of them. Unlike internet "I slag off everyone" chaps like yourself.

Of course, you, the internet hero, is better than these multi millionaires, eh?

I notice you seem to be a bit of an aul musician yourself, how did that go for ya? :pac:

Ahhhh, the jealousy.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Orangutani

I'm in favour of disbanding all religion. However, most people still seem to want "traditional" weddings, funerals, etc. Give it a couple more generations, just to weed out the hardcore. Hopefully things will be a bit more rational then....

theboxer wrote: »
    They arent. Their music is garbage if you are male and over 12 years old, but the lads themselves seem like a decent bunch. Id happily sink a beve with any of them. Unlike internet "I slag off everyone" chaps like yourself.

Of course, you, the internet hero, is better than these multi millionaires, eh?

I notice you seem to be a bit of an aul musician yourself, how did that go for ya? :pac:

Ahhhh, the jealousy.

Hmm. It intrigues me to see how wound up a throwaway comment that I made about a crappy group of overpaid karaoke singers seems to have made you.

It leads me to believe that you are either a member of Westlife, or you have a thing for me.

It leads me to believe that you are either a member of Westlife, or you have a thing for me.

It leads you to believe, eh? It leads me to believe that you are a failed musician who is jealous of a few lads who can sing and whom made a success of themselves.

It leads you to believe, eh? It leads me to believe that you are a failed musician who is jealous of a few lads who can sing and whom made a success of themselves.

Go on then - which one are you... the Dublin lad, the gay one, or one of the Sligo boyos? I'm guessing they gay one, as you seem to be very sensitive towards criticism. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Go on then - which one are you... the Dublin lad, the gay one, or one of the Sligo boyos? I'm guessing they gay one, as you seem to be very sensitive towards criticism. ;)

Oh no you Di'nt!!

None of the above.

None of the above.

Aha! If it's not one of the Weslife lads, I know who you are then......

http://blog.taragana.com/e/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/louis-walsh.jpg

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

I would gladly vote for the party who propose to cut the ties between Religion and Education in this country.

Removing this would go a long way to giving people independence and freedom of thought as they develop from being a child to an adult.

Furthermore, getting rid of Communion and Confirmation would also destroy the fabricated idea that people are made of money and its available everywhere. Something, this generation has come to learn in recent times.

The entire methodology which should be used in curbing religious support resides with information. If people realise they don't HAVE to go to Church or HAVE to believe in something, then they will spend their time doing something more practical.

Having to be Catholic to get an education in this country is a fúcking disgrace and if my children are denied entry into a Primary School because they were not baptised I will be taking my case to the courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

I think in future all religion will be choice rather than force. When you can choose to send your kids to a non brainwashing, non catholic school we'll see just how many of them choose to be part of the paedophile ring catholic church.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

You atheists... ...you believe in nothing.

Tell me this: do you eat dog sh*t?

No?

So you eat nothing?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

K4t wrote: »
    Let's hope so.:)

Typical boards response.... as for the question of will religion die out.

If the op is trying to understand religion there is a forum if the op is telling us that s/he does not go to mass so they reckon religion will die out then yes based on that assumption I reckon they are right.

I however go to mass so from my perspective I think religion will die down but not die out. I also think that the way forward for the religious order is to stop running schools etc. This will guarantee that anyone can get into a local school thus increasing demand on the local services. I suspect this over demand will be blamed on the religious order however it will become clear to see that it was the fault of successive goverments who despite being happy to leave the education to the church will not take responsability when a virtually volentary organisation stops looking after it.

Yes i see interesting times ahead. I agree parts of the church have screwed up this country. I am very p1ssed with the popes attitute however I do a lot of volentary work in the community. I see the influence of the church and i see how govts rely on the church and community to fund and organise things locally which they cannot be bothered with.

I for one will enjoy and seeth in the demise of church influence becuase it will teach a lot of people who have not got a clue how much the church was really part of the community. Just look at the jewish or muslim communities to see how strong this can be.

As for the typical afterhours response.

Mehhhh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

No, it won't. If you mean adherence. Possibly in church attendance. However, religion won't be ever dying out, in the same way that atheism won't. If Catholicism declines further, other faiths, and denominations will fill the void. Most likely Islam and Pentecostalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,980 ✭✭✭✭bnt

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I wonder if the next census (2011?) will show a decrease in Roman Catholics? Most people I know just tick the box even though their not practising Christians!

If I recall correctly, according to the last census, Ireland was 70% Catholic!
    Then 2011 is a chance for people to tell the truth, rather than fall back on the default "Catholic" position. I can understand that it might be uncomfortable to realise that the faith has gone (if it was ever there), but it's the only way we're going to get a clear picture of what's really happening to religion in Ireland.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

bnt - If people want to identify as Catholics, I don't think it is anyones place to goad another into not putting that down on the census form. It's their choice, and their autonomy to decide what they believe in, or identify with.

That's probably why we see a disparity between % Catholics, and % mass attendance.

Advertisement