Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will religion, in Ireland, die out?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

ScumLord wrote: »
    I'll be letting my kids decide for themselves but I'm pretty confident given all the information they'll go with the thing that created tv, xboxes and processed sugar.

Ahh now come on.... I am letting my kids decide for themselves when the time is right. However i teach my kids its unsafe to cross the main road. I teach my kids that you cannot steal and lie. I teach my kids my beliefs because I believe it will save them and if they come of age and feel that they can cross the road where they want, they can steal and lie as they want or they dont wish to believe in god well then thats there choice

But I will as a christian and catholic always pray for my kids.

However unlike most I will not sit back while my kids do wrong nor will I accept that they are allowed do what they want but if they choose not to believe in god I will have to respect that

if they come in and tell me that they dont believe in some wish wash about a man being nailed to the cross and all that i will correct them for not being respectful like i am pointing out to yourself

In an ironic sense the bashing that catholics have been accused of in the past is now practised by athiests.... Kinda hypocritical dont you think....

A further irony is the amount of parents that despite "not believing in god" will actually get there kids christened communioned and confirned just for the day out..... Here is the real irony and irrational logic in non organised religion....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

Openmp wrote: »
    Christians have been evangelising since the year dot. Have you not got used to it yet? lol. Seeing as atheism is so great, would you not go and set up a Scientific Truth Foundation or something? Can you not convice a couple of million Irish atheists to put their money where their (very big) mouth is? Or are you waiting for "the government" to provide for you? Oh wait, you can't organise because ye don't believe in hierarchies and can't agree on anything because it would just turn into a bitter "I know better" shouting match. lol.

Mate, you're the only one who sounds bitter here

Chillax

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Christians have been evangelising since the year dot. Have you not got used to it yet? lol. Seeing as atheism is so great, would you not set up a Scientific Truth Foundation or something? Oh wait, you can't organise because ye don't believe in hierarchies and can't agree on anything because it would just turn into a bitter "I know better" shouting match. lol.
    The very fact aeroplanes are flying around in the air and satellite zip around in orbit of the planet, things that require massive collaboration and accurate knowledge shows that statement to be completely inaccurate. Finding fault in others theory's is a big part of science and when it happens the entire community benefits from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Openmp

Ahh now come on.... I am letting my kids decide for themselves when the time is right. However i teach my kids its unsafe to cross the main road. I teach my kids that you cannot steal and lie. I teach my kids my beliefs because I believe it will save them and if they come of age and feel that they can cross the road where they want, they can steal and lie as they want or they dont wish to believe in god well then thats there choice

What?! Are you crazy??! I mean, I wouldn't even dare give a child a name - I mean, they're not old enough to decide for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Christians have been evangelising since the year dot. Have you not got used to it yet? lol. Seeing as atheism is so great, would you not go and set up a Scientific Truth Foundation or something? Can you not convice a couple of million Irish atheists to put their money where their (very big) mouth is? Or are you waiting for "the government" to provide for you? Oh wait, you can't organise because ye don't believe in hierarchies and can't agree on anything because it would just turn into a bitter "I know better" shouting match. lol.

Um what do hierarchies and organisation have to do with personal belief?
    Considering how endemic child abuse and covering up of said is in the Catholic church I'm pretty glad Atheism is just a common belief in there being no god and nothing more.

• Advertisement

The very fact aeroplanes are flying around in the air and satellite zip around in orbit of the planet, things that require massive collaboration and accurate knowledge shows that statement to be completely inaccurate. Finding fault in others theory's is a big part of science and when it happens the entire community benefits from it.

Oh yeah, it's impossible for a Christian to be an engineer. Sorry about that little oversight.

Your arrogant claim over the fruits of science is pathetic. There are science PhDs in Rome and the Pope has hundreds of advisors from universities all over the world. Hell, the Vatican even have their own observatory. You're really quite ignorant on Catholic matters, aren't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Lol. How naive you are my dear boy. Methinks you've been spending far too much time reading secular media.

Go down to you local church and smell the lovely flowers. Sure the priest may even invite you in for a cup of tea. And if you ask nicely, he won't even mention the divine.
    What?! Are you crazy??! I mean, I wouldn't even dare give a child a name - I mean, they're not old enough to decide for themselves.

Turd Ferguson Re-Reg?
    :D

Lol. How naive you are my dear boy. Methinks you've been spending far too much time reading secular media.
    Please do enlighten me, it'll help me be more Buddha.

Makes perfect sense to me, Buddhists don't go out to shove their beliefs down the throats of other people.

How do you know that.... really.... Assumptions are the mother of all fcuk ups...

http://atheism.about.com/b/2004/03/23/ranch-forced-religion-on-teens.htm

It seems all athiests dont share your beliefs

Perhaps we can look at some other trendy religion.

Um what do hierarchies and organisation have to do with personal belief?
    Considering how endemic child abuse and covering up of said is in the Catholic church I'm pretty glad Atheism is just a common belief in there being no god and nothing more.

Of course such things could never happen in the society that you subscribe to and pay taxes towards. lol. Just as well you don't have a hierarchy eh? Very convenient when it comes to sitting on the fence with a smug look on one's face.

• Advertisement

Oh yeah, it's impossible for a Christian to be an engineer. Sorry about that little oversight.
    I never claimed any different,

You said this nonsense that scientists don't organise which is obviously arse.
    Oh wait, you can't organise because ye don't believe in hierarchies and can't agree on anything because it would just turn into a bitter "I know better" shouting match. lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Mad man...

What...? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭johnnyjb

I think one of the reasons why it will die out is because it is more or less forced upon us by the educational system. People do not choose it so when they realise they can just forget about when they have there confirmation done or when old enough to do so. People would stick with it if they had choosen it in the begining.

The days of the church having a mental hold over irish soceity are hopefully gone and we can wipe away the scars of mental and physical abuse by evil men and women mainly men though.

Id love to see a priest try molest or abuse those children at a later stage of their lifes, they would be beaten to an inch of their life. Any one taking advantage of a child like that should be burnt tied to their beloved cross and the bishops who help hide them so get there bits chopped off and thrown to the sharks

How do you know that.... really.... Assumptions are the mother of all fcuk ups...

http://atheism.about.com/b/2004/03/23/ranch-forced-religion-on-teens.htm

It seems all athiests dont share your beliefs

Perhaps we can look at some other trendy religion.

Getting atheists to agree on anything (except for a deep hatred for the word "Catholic") , would be like herding cats.

We've got the Pope and his Cardinals in the Vatican. They've got Dawkins, Hitchens and Harris and play flame wars on the interweb in the hope that they'll upset a few people. Shallow intellectualism at its very worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Of course religion will die out. Nothing lasts forever. I would imagine it will be laughed at in about 50 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

And some people go to church when they have kids, when the kids reach a certain age eg 16 they stop going.And the parents stop going to.

Getting atheists to agree on anything (except for a deep hatred for the word "Catholic") , would be like herding cats.

We've got the Pope and his Cardinals in the Vatican. They've got Dawkins, Hitchens and Harris and play flame wars on the interweb in the hope that they'll upset a few Catholics.

You have not answered the question...

johnnyjb wrote: »
    I think one of the reasons why it will die out is because it is more or less forced upon us by the educational system. People do not choose it so when they realise they can just forget about when they have there confirmation done or when old enough to do so. People would stick with it if they had choosen it in the begining.

The faithful paid for the schools. Why aren't the faithful atheists so generous? Sometimes I wonder if they really believe in their convictions at all... I'm sure the bishops would be willing to make a deal and let you go off and teach your little heresies. On condition that you ditch the persecution complex and learn to have some respect for the Christian faith. And until you come around to this way of thinking, put up, or shut up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

We've got the Pope and his Cardinals in the Vatican. They've got Dawkins, Hitchens and Harris and play flame wars on the interweb in the hope that they'll upset a few Catholics.

Cats you say...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Why emphasis that point, what does it matter? I watched a documentary on the Buddha at the weekend and found it a very good spiritual way of life. It focuses on the here and now, be good now and reap the rewards now the possibility of an afterlife shouldn't be needed.

I believe the emphasis is because it's the most important point in this thread, the reason so many people are happy to take the required leap of faith and overlook holes in their belief is because they can't live without this "hope" that death is not the end. For me and most other people I NEED the possibility that something might happen after I die. I realise some people can live without this hope but I know I'll never understand how anybody can live without this hope.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Will religion, in Ireland, die out?
    We can only hope...

You said this nonsense that scientists don't organise which is obviously arse.

If you read the post again, you'll see that you got the semantics mixed up. I was referrring to atheists not organising. Which they don't. They're too afraid to.

Openmp, before I wasnt really sure about religion, but I see now that it attracts only the most pleasant people, where do I sign up?

Greyfox wrote: »
    I believe the emphasis is because it's the most important point in this thread, the reason so many people are happy to take the required leap of faith and overlook holes in their belief is because they can't live without this "hope" that death is not the end. For me and most other people I NEED the possibility that something might happen after I die. I realise some people can live without this hope but I know I'll never understand how anybody can live without this hope.
    I don't know how anyone can ignore this paradise we live in with the hope of going to another paradise that looks suspiciously like this world in any pictures and description I've seen of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 hairybowsie

Greyfox wrote: »

thanks Greyfox. That is where is am too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 countrychick

I am a born again Christian and I love Jesus. I couldn't be bothered with religion because it distracts from what's really important, which is having a relationship with God. Sounds a bit mad and abstract but its not, it is very real and there are many people who are living it out in Ireland. I attend a church in the Liberties which has a mix of people from all over the city. We love God and the stories you will hear there about God changing lives may not convince you he is real but they will definitely challenge your thoughts on God.
    We believe God loves this world and he wants to encounter people and change their lives for the better. I don't believe God is someone with a big stick ready to point out wrong he is really good and merciful! Liberty community church is on the web check it out!

PK2008 wrote: »
    Openmp, before I wasnt really sure about religion, but I see now that it attracts only the most pleasant people, where do I sign up?

I'm not pleasant to burglars. Why would I be "pleasant" to bunch of bigots? Frank explanations is what ye need. The time for placations is when you come to the negotiating table with some respect for the Christian faith. I'd be more than willing to meet you there.

If you read the post again, you'll see that you got the semantics mixed up. I was referrring to atheists not organising. Which they don't. They're too afraid to.
    Again you make no sense as Atheist are involved in every part of science, they where more than likely responsible for designing the computer your using. Really you shouldn't be using such an evil device made by the heretics, unplug it quick and purge the room with fire.

• Advertisement

I'm not pleasant to burglars. Why would I be "pleasant" to bunch of bigots? Frank explanations is what ye need. The time for placations is when you come to the negotiating table with some respect for the Christian faith. I'd be more than willing to meet you there.

Formal wear or casual?

Advertisement