Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moyglare Village in Maynooth Information

Options
  • 10-05-2010 5:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Hello all,

I'll be going to Ireland this week from the US, and was just wondering about an area in Kildare named Moyglare Village in Maynooth - I'm supposed to have accommodations there but wanted to know if there's any advice that can be given regarding getting to the Dublin City centre, or what streets might be best avoided. I don't know if I'd stand out as a tourist, let alone an American, but my race might make me stand out - I don't think that'd cause any problems though.

As far as the 'avoided streets' question goes, I don't want arguments caused or anything - I tried this question regarding Dublin neighborhoods and ended up causing a rift between a few people with dissenting opinions >,< Not my intention. But if there are well-known streets nearby where it's just common sense not to go to them, that'd be helpful. If the general vicinity is fine, that'd be great to know, too. :)

As well, are there any good restaurants or general fun areas/sight-seeing spots nearby? I'll be doing some research via my guidebook also about this area (so I'm sorry if I sound too touristy. lol I don't mean to, but I just found out not long ago that I'd be staying in this area (I was mainly preoccupied with just Dublin beforehand), so I'm particularly interested in even the name of it, for example. :P)

Thank you to all that answer! I appreciate it :) Thank you to FilthyMcNasty as well, for recommending I post this! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

Just moved into Kilcock about 6 months ago, which is about 3 or 4 miles from Maynooth.
    Maynooth is nice enough, there is quite a large student population. You can get to Dublin easily enough by train, which takes about 30-35 minutes.

Not sure if there are any areas in maynooth best avoided, but from the few times I've been there anywhere around the main street and shopping areas seems to be fine.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Tamith wrote: »
    wanted to know if there's any advice that can be given regarding getting to the Dublin City centre, or what streets might be best avoided.

No streets as such. Just use common sense. Don't walk around the city centre at 3am with a camera hanging off your neck kinda thing.
    I don't know if I'd stand out as a tourist

Tourist signs:
    Camers round neck.
    Accents.
    my race might make me stand out

Only if you come from Mars.
    In Dublin, there are people from all corners of the world. You won't stand out.
    As well, are there any good restaurants or general fun areas/sight-seeing spots nearby?

Are you talking about Maynooth?

A little history of the college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

There is lots of freindly nightlife around Maynooth . Spend an evening or 2 there.

Train Station in maynooth will give to access to dublin in comfort. Just be aware when the trains stop. Taxi fare in dublin is expensive to say the least and as soon as the cross a county it goes sky
    high.

Dublin can be great for the tourist. Visit Collins Barrack and the Museum on Kildare street. http://www.museum.ie/en/homepage.aspx it was free the last time I was there.

loads to see and do. And you will find 95% of people very approachable.
    Generally if you see a guy with a track suit on that is not out training. Avoid.

Like all big cities, keep an eye on your money and stay out of quiet dark places.

If you like Beer I would recommend The Porter House on Nassu street near Trinity Collage. Tis a change from all the normal stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

my race might make me stand out

Only if the race isn't human ;)

Maynooth is a great spot. Moyglare Village is the student accommodation right? If so, it's just on the edge of the town - a walk in to all the pubs and restaurants. There's trains and busses into Dublin. Last train back is at 23:10 and last bus is 23:25. A taxi to Maynooth costs about €45 from the city centre.

For restaurants in Maynooth I'd recommend the Stonehaven or The Orient. For pub - Bradys. Sightseeing has to include the college which Ber has linked already. Also Carton House is great for walks.

There's plenty of sightseeing/fun areas within a drive of Maynooth - will you have access to a car? Examples include The National Stud and Japanese Gardens (http://www.irish-national-stud.ie/tourism/), Castletown House in Celbridge, Larchill Arcadian Gardens in Kilcock - among plenty of others. The latter two are 10 minutes drive from Maynooth and the Stud/Gardens are only about 30 minutes.

Let us know your mode of transport and we can point you in the direction that suits.

Scratch that Moyglare Village rubbish from me - it's not student accomodation - it's an estate. And quite a nice one as far as I know. (I got the impression that you were coming on a holiday not to move here.) The rest of my post is still valid - it's just outside town - you could walk in to the main street from it. It's not far from the train either. If you're going to work in Dublin it's great - I get the train in and out daily.

And forget about that thread on the Dublin City forum. That was not your fault - there are idiots everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Tamith

Macros42 wrote: »
    Only if the race isn't human ;)

Maynooth is a great spot. Moyglare Village is the student accommodation right? If so, it's just on the edge of the town - a walk in to all the pubs and restaurants. There's trains and busses into Dublin. Last train back is at 23:10 and last bus is 23:25. A taxi to Maynooth costs about €45 from the city centre.

For restaurants in Maynooth I'd recommend the Stonehaven or The Orient. For pub - Bradys. Sightseeing has to include the college which Ber has linked already. Also Carton House is great for walks.

There's plenty of sightseeing/fun areas within a drive of Maynooth - will you have access to a car? Examples include The National Stud and Japanese Gardens (http://www.irish-national-stud.ie/tourism/), Castletown House in Celbridge, Larchill Arcadian Gardens in Kilcock - among plenty of others. The latter two are 10 minutes drive from Maynooth and the Stud/Gardens are only about 30 minutes.

Let us know your mode of transport and we can point you in the direction that suits.

Wow o.o there's so much that can be done! =) I won't have the ability to use a car while there most likely, but don't mind using public transportation - it'll be a nice change from the lack of it that I currently have in the city where I live, you know? So it's buses, taxis, trains and planes for me, for now. Well, and my feet, of course ;)

Thank you, by the way, for the specific taxi fare you included - that'll help tonight when writing out what I'd like to do and deciding how to get there :D

You said you take the train in and out daily though, Macros42? Do you mind my asking about how much that ends up running you financially, per week (or month)?

Thank you so much everyone! You've been such a great help to me :D
    I'm very much looking forward to staying in Maynooth, especially after hearing what you've said about the area ^_^ Regarding your posts:
    gsxr1 wrote: »
    There is lots of freindly nightlife around Maynooth . Spend an evening or 2 there.

Train Station in maynooth will give to access to dublin in comfort. Just be aware when the trains stop. Taxi fare in dublin is expensive to say the least and as soon as the cross a county it goes sky high.

loads to see and do. And you will find 95% of people very approachable.
    Generally if you see a guy with a track suit on that is not out training. Avoid.

Like all big cities, keep an eye on your money and stay out of quiet dark places.

If you like Beer I would recommend The Porter House on Nassu street near Trinity Collage. Tis a change from all the normal stuff.

Definitely interested in the nightlife there but am going to have to, it seems, make a budget for transportation that's a bit more detailed if it's that expensive. The museum would be a great idea though :D

As for the track suit guy, I will indeed, stay away from those o.o xD But I'll keep my wits about me when carrying personal belongings, definitely. :) Thank you so much for the visitation recommendations ^_^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Hope you have a great time! :)

You said you take the train in and out daily though, Macros42? Do you mind my asking about how much that ends up running you financially, per week (or month)?

um nothing - work pays for it annually. I know it's €6 day return but there are also weekly/monthly/10-journey tickets available.

Macros42 wrote: »
    um nothing - work pays for it annually. I know it's €6 day return but there are also weekly/monthly/10-journey tickets available.

If only I were so lucky to have the same! :P I'll check out ticket packages =)
    Clare Bear wrote: »
    Hope you have a great time! :)

Thank you Clare Bear! :D Already nervous about the plane ride tomorrow! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

If you are working in the city centre and commuting every day .Your employer will most probably let you buy an annual ticket.
    See taxsaver.ie.Maynooth counts as Dublin for the ticket:)

Moonbeam wrote: »
    If you are working in the city centre and commuting every day .Your employer will most probably let you buy an annual ticket.
    See taxsaver.ie.Maynooth counts as Dublin for the ticket:)

Aw, thank you for the information, Moonbeam! =) I appreciate it! Just arrived in Dublin this morning and, after moving into an apartment for the week, slept for about 10 hours too long xD (hadn't slept for 24+ hours beforehand). So, I'm researching bus routes now trying to find which will get me to the centre in the morning. I will take a look at the site you posted while I'm at it ^_^

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Hey Tamith, Maynooth is pretty safe and there's plenty of American's stuyding there so you won't look out of place at all. Just avoid dark alleys and the canal at night(especially if you've a few pints in you).

Being honest, there's not an awful lot to do in Maynooth, it's mainly just the university campus, some shops and housing estates. In saying that, there's Maynooth Castle which is nice to look at and there's lots of places to go for nice walks and plenty of natural beauty.

The real beauty comes out at night though, for the next few weeks all the students are going to be doing exams and then be out partying to celebrate after them and you'll find most of them to be friendly and up for a laugh if you're not a total weirdo. All the pubs on the main street are great but in general certain ones are busy on certain nights.
    Monday - O'Neills
    Tuesday - Caulfields
    Wednesday - Bradys
    Thursday - The Roost
    Fri-Sun - Anywhere (most of the students either go home or work at the weekend but the "grown ups" be out those nights.

Food in the pubs is grand but if you want something nicer Stonehaven and Greene's are nice. The Chinese on the main street does all you can eat lunch too, if you're into that kinda thing.

There's a forum here specifically for Maynooth students that you might find handy too. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=488

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

Hope you have a great time here! While Maynooth can be quiet during the days, if you're studying here you will probably spend the days hanging out with friends, lectures and just staying around the campus. it's the evenings where you will most likely head out.
    Dublin Bus run nitelinks, which are late busses. These only run on Friday and Saturday nights. The price for these is €5, much cheaper than a taxi!! You need to buy a prepaid ticket for these. If you are getting it home to Maynooth, you will be getting it on Westmoreland Street, the centra/londis (not sure what one it is), sell them. This is the timetable for the nitelink 67n to maynooth : http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/67n/
    Most people will be more than happy to help!!

Thanks so much, everyone! ^_^ Your information has truly been helpful!

Been in Ireland for a few weeks now and went to Maynooth twice already. Found it really fun to be able to take the Luas and then the train to get there (especially since it was my first time on a train xD). I love it in Maynooth. It's truly beautiful and so quaint. Has the feeling of Dublin centre to me, without all the creepy people (and believe me, I've encountered quite a few of them so far >,<).

I look forward to trying out the Nitelink and the pubs/restaurants recommended. ^_^ Thanks so much!

Advertisement