Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sugar Craft Supplies

Options
  • 10-05-2010 9:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi
    Have started a sugar craft course and need to buy all the equipment and ingredients. Is there somewhere online that also provides cheap delivery to Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭tscul32

Check out all of the following:

www.sugarshack.co.uk
    www.cake-stuff.com
    www.apieceofcakethame.co.uk
    www.squires-shop.com
    www.imaginativeicing.co.uk
    www.janeasher.co.uk

I've ordered from all except the top one, but only because that has a flat delivery fee of £15 for up to 30kg and I usually buy smaller, specific things. Most charge by weight bands so make sure you optimise your shopping. Check all the sites for what you want and work out the costs as with delivery they'll probably vary widely.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭DreamC

I would recommend that you buy not "all the equipment and ingredients", but only the stuff you will really need. If you want to buy a lot and that includes some heavy stuff like fondant and professional modelling/flower sugarpaste, then it would be more profitable to buy the whole lot in one shot. I use www.design-a-cake.co.uk a lot as I am buying in bulk.

They would charge about £18 per parcel up to 25 kg and it is delivered to your door in a day or two. (Minimal charge to Ireland would be about £5). You can fill your shopping basket and it would be saved on you computer till you decide to place the order and pay. They also give 10% discount on all orders over £100 (so, that's minimum £10 off your shipping cost). Also their cake boards (12 mm drums) are very good value. They come in pack of 5 and, for example, a 12" board from a bulk pack would cost you around £1 (they are 3 euros in Boyd's here in Ireland).

It seems that you pay much when shopping in bulk but still at is more profitable and you are saving much more comparing to the local disgraceful rip off (even if you have to pay the postal costs :) ).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭tscul32

That's a good link dreamc, thanks for that. Am thinking of stocking up on boards and boxes so will just get all the little bits I've been thinking about for a while now. Will compare between design-a-cake and sugarshack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I ordered a few things from decobake last week and they were very reasonable and very fast. I've also ordered from makeawishcakeshop.co.uk, some nice stuff, but god help you if you have a problem with your order and need to contact them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

+1 for decobake. Good range and I think they deliver too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Gaspode wrote: »
    +1 for decobake. Good range and I think they deliver too.

I ordered on a Monday and got it Wednesday morning, and she called me on Tuesday to let me know that it was going, very nice woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Orby

Thanks for all the replies. I will have a look at all those sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Donalryan

I did a day course in Athlone, in a shop on church st. Allens kitchen shop. Really enjoyed it.

Advertisement