Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CHEM 10060

Options
  • 10-05-2010 9:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Anyone have this disaster of a subject tomorrow? I'm looking at the papers and don't know what's going on.

Can anyone tell me how you'd do this kind of question:

A voltaic cell is constructed with a Zn/Zn2+ half cell and a Cu/Cu2+ half cell. The copper electrode is positive. Write half-balanced equations and the overall reaction.

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

The tutorials covered that lot... If you didn't go maybe someone can let you look at their notes? Otherwise, open any 1st year general chemistry textbook and look up electrochemistry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

As a Chemistry single major, I can tell you that you'll get the answer a lot faster if you pick up a book and close your computer. Wasting the exam period on boards isn't a good idea!

Me? This is my day off.....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Chemistry Live and the Less Stress books cover those questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Reincarbonated

oh_schist wrote: »
    Anyone have this disaster of a subject tomorrow? I'm looking at the papers and don't know what's going on.

Can anyone tell me how you'd do this kind of question:

A voltaic cell is constructed with a Zn/Zn2+ half cell and a Cu/Cu2+ half cell. The copper electrode is positive. Write half-balanced equations and the overall reaction.

Thanks!!

Also quite screwed for this exam!!
    Just looked at my tutorial notes, here's what I'm thinking

Cu(2+) + 2e- > Cu

Zn > Zn(2+) + 2e-

Cu(2+) + Zn > Cu + Zn(2+)

As the Cu electrode is positive, Cu is oxidised, so must lose electrons.
    Reduction is gain. This is reflected in the half equations... Which are confusing!

My tutorial guy said to remember
    An-Ox
    Red-Cat

If that helps...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Reincarbonated

Just realised I'm 12 hours late... Sorry!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 oh_schist

Thanks!

Advertisement