Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for filming location

Options
  • 10-05-2010 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm going to be shooting interviews for a programme in the next couple of weeks. One of the items we will be looking at is video gaming and I'm going to be interviewing a number of gaming journalists and enthusiasts.

Can anyone suggest a good location that would provide a suitable backdrop in Dublin (preferably the city centre). Something video game related and suitably high-tech.

I need somwhere quiet that I can shoot in for one day.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

What about a gamestop or similar? They might let you have a corner for a day or even after closing

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

Thanks for the suggestion, but based on previous experience shooting in a retail venue during opening hours is a nightmare! And my interviewees are only available during the day.

I have tried contacting the Xtreme Internet & Gaming centre on Liffey Street but the number doesn't seem to still be in service. Does anyone know if they are still open?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

yeah they are still open. another place you might want to try is 5 Star Gaming Cafe near Connelly Station (go the spike facing north, turn 90 degrees to the right and keep walking). there is a few net cafes there but 5 Star is the biggest and the one most orientated with gaming. its also great as you could mix it with a multicultural angle. Irish, Phillipinos, Russians, Romanians, Chinese & Polish gamers all under one roof :) the last tournament I played there was great, teams from all parts of the world. Gaming (especially online) is becomming more multicultural everyday. young people who play are talking to people from all over europe and the world and its really a key progression in the way games are being played and the development of the people that play them.. breaking down borders and the like :)

drop us a pm if you want to get in touch. Ive been involved in Irish Gaming on different levels for a good while now

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

Thanks Jazzy, I'll give them a try.

Is there a VIP area or a closed-off area that would be quiet for filming?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

The Digital Hub might be a good spot, they'd have plenty of quiet rooms you can use and have always been friendly to the gaming cause.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Was going to suggest the Hub also when I saw the title, would be an ideal location for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

what about the Xbox Gaming centre off Grafton St? I'm sure you could set up shop in a corner upstairs. I'm not sure how loud it'd be; but people have headphones when they game. I'm sure a mic would fix that.

I'm just throwing it out there, but what about the Japanese gardens in Kildare? Much like videogames, it's a beautiful japanese export here in Ireland.

Here's some pics of it :

I was there a few weeks ago. It's a short drive from Dublin, it's gorgeous, and it's pretty empty. It's cheap enough to get in, --can't remember exactly, but under a tenner-- and i'm sure they'd let you film there. Info on it here if interested.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You might not get a good slice of the demographic interviewing online competitive gamers, it's a bit of a cesspool of humanity mostly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

doubledown wrote: »
    Thanks Jazzy, I'll give them a try.

Is there a VIP area or a closed-off area that would be quiet for filming?

yeah there is

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

There's also the Gamesnash live venues you could film in. I've never been but they seem like a good company and I'm sure they'd be delighted with the free publicity.

www.gamesnashlive.com

They even have a forum here on boards where you could contact the team.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1222

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Edit: Realised you were looking for something more as a backdrop.

Advertisement