Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Competition: Variations on a theme 3 (Cinderella)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭ToasterSparks

Babette wrote: »
    As a first-time poster I am wondering if this competition is open to everyone or regulars only?

Absolutely it's for everyone! The more the merrier. Closing date for this competition is the end of the month, so get writing quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Babette

Thank you Toastersparks! Just finishing my story now.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

As a first-time poster I am wondering if this competition is open to everyone or regulars only?

It's open to everyone, but you may find that you need to have a certain postcount to be able to send a PM, so you might need to contribute to a couple of threads first (I think it's either 10 or 25).

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Babette

Okay, well if I don't qualify this time might try again next time. Great idea for a competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Okay, well if I don't qualify this time might try again next time. Great idea for a competition.

Just waffle on AH for a few hours. You'll be set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Have sent in my entry to this month's competition - really wish I had another 20,000 words or so to play around with, because it would've worked much better if I had...
    Anyway, I really wanted to run with the idea I had, so I made it work as best I could with about a 1000 words - hopefully it'll get some sort of positive feedback anyway, but I'm not expecting much...

Looking forward to reading all the entries next week...

Seven entries so far and most of them are from first-timers, which is great to see. How many people are definitely planning on entering this week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

I'll enter i think. Will make a start on it later,left it way too late the last time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

Seven entries so far and most of them are from first-timers, which is great to see. How many people are definitely planning on entering this week?

I'll have someting in, as long as Shoulder Antilles doesn't get the better of me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Need to write an ending (and only have today and tomorrow to do it, I'll be AFK for a week after that)

9 now, keep 'em coming! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I'm one of those first timers and having read the standard of the last set, I'm positively dreading the unfolding.

Dreading the zero votes scenario! Positively so because I will learn from all the great feedback after it dusted down with the literary cloths of you good folk :D

Can't wait to read the variety of perspectives on Cinderella.

Just finished my first draft :D

And with a record-setting time between first and final draft, I've submitted my story! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Is there a deadline time for this on the 1st or is it anytime up until midnight on the 2nd?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Is there a deadline time for this on the 1st or is it anytime up until midnight on the 2nd?
    Its usually midnight on the last day (1st).

Oryx wrote: »

So is that midnight on the night of the 31st/1st or midnight on the night of the 1st/2nd?

The instant that it is no longer June 1st, then you are too late to submit a story. Any time between now and then, you are free to submit a story.

How many stories are in now, pickarooney?

10 now I think, with one resubmission pending.

Hah, ignore what I said about my final draft above - I've been working on it since ;) Should have the final final draft in before the end date!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Really? There's only been two so far, and at least one of them was two days after the 31st.

davyjose wrote: »
    Really? There's only been two so far, and at least one of them was two days after the 31st.
    Pedant :). The 1st was in brackets meaning this time its the 1st.. Now go back to sleep you were up too late. :)

Oooops,forgot about this again. Will have to write it tonight,expect a very weird one as will be watching 'going postal' first :D

Getting close now, folks. My son asked for a fairy tale last night and I ended up boring him with the original Cinderella story (the original rags to WAGs tale) so I want a better version for next time :D

lol you should have picked your favourite of the ones you've received so far and read that to him ;)

We're up to 13!

Any stragglers, get your skates on!

I haven't even decided what i'm going to write about yet,lol. I know it's cinderella but what way will i write it....Expect my entry at 11.59:)

angelll wrote: »
    I haven't even decided what i'm going to write about yet,lol. I know it's cinderella but what way will i write it....Expect my entry at 11.59:)

Pfft, last month I didn't even *start* mine until 11:59 ;)

Antilles wrote: »
    Pfft, last month I didn't even *start* mine until 11:59 ;)

11.59 the day the competition was launched was it? :p

Or a historical account set in the 12th century.

• Advertisement

I've only started writing too so it will probably be 11:59:59 when you get my entry.

I can already see that the 1000 word limit is going to be an issue!

If you go over 1,000 words just end your story like the final episode of the Sopranos.

How post modern!

Right starting now....eek. This is going to be rubbish :mad: . I can't think...i thought an idea would hit me over the last few weeks/days/hours but nada.

You'll need 18 words a minute to make it now!

Only have approx 100 wds written...will have to get a move on. Stupid computer emails me everytime someone replies on here though,lol.
    Interrupting my creative process! ( or giving me an excuse to doss,one or the other)

Ha.. Thats funny, ready, steady, cook write! Tick tock...

Agh,stop replying!!!! Right,think i actually know where this is going now....i hope.

Finished writing at 11:54 and PM sent at 11:56!

Yay thank god I got there. Just about mind... restricting it to 1000 words was awfully difficult!

**** still typing,final sentence

• Advertisement

Well it's sent,phew! God i don't even know half of what i wrote,must have heaps of spelling mistakes!

angelll wrote: »
    Well it's sent,phew! God i don't even know half of what i wrote,must have heaps of spelling mistakes!

At least you got it in. Deep breath now!

Have now pm'ed pickarooney twice but it's not showing up in sent messages!!!! Is that normal? Should it show up? Feck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I can't wait to read all the entries - the excitement is unbearable... I really need to get a life...

Wow, you guys were busy - 6 PMs with new entries, rewrites, retractions...!

I haven't read any myself yet so this should be a productive morning in the office :D
    Speaking of which, it could be a couple of hours before I get everything up (that's what she said?)

I think we should definitely have a one-hour write-off some day.

Just a heads up, the closing date for the competition is wrong in the new thread, pickarooney.

• Advertisement

Just a heads up, the closing date for the competition is wrong in the new thread, pickarooney.

Thanks - fixed. Ideally the closing date would have been midnight, after which the thread turns into an incoherent rant about Brian Cowen, but the tools, they won't allow it.

The stories are all up and I'm going to start reading them. Please, if you notice anything wrong with your own story (formatting, not the latest version..., please PM) me ASAP. If you see anything wrong with the thread, such as story numbering, can't vote/post etc. please either post here or PM me but don't post on the voting thread unless it's to leave feedback on the stories themselves.

I'm really looking forward to reading these now!

Best of luck to everyone and thanks for taking the time to make this possible.

Hi pickarooney, its a radio poll (you can only vote for one).
    If it can't be changed, just tick all stories and move them to a new thread.

Oops! Hopefully it's fixed now.

Can you look and see if I did it properly?

Perfecto...

Very high standard again this month!

About half-way through them now, but keep getting interrupted.

/shakes fist at customers

• Advertisement
Advertisement