Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 aside soccer in Balbriggan

Options
  • 10-05-2010 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭

If anyone is interested in playing five aside soccer in Balbriggan, the Bremore Castle residents association is setting up a league. This is a great way to meet people in the area. The league is open to all. PM me for details or check out www.bremorecastle.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

You'll want 7-aside minimum if your going to use the Glebe Pitch and use the full size of it to take advantage of using the walls.

It's far too big for 5-aside.

It's the size of four standard tennis courts plus more.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

Thanks for the advice. We'll keep that in mind. If we get the numbers we'll be happy to make it seven aside.

aniascor wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. We'll keep that in mind. If we get the numbers we'll be happy to make it seven aside.
    You can actually play a 5-aside width-ways if you get what I mean.

More players == less running ;)

You'll fit 9-aside comfortably.

I'm sure some players from Hyde or Balbriggan would be interested in playing during the close season, maybe contact their club secretaries if your stuck for numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

We've played on the Glebe's pitch and even at nine-a-side, it's not crowded (mind you, at our age we don't move very fast any more. Or very much!)

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

Make sure you all have kneepads playing on that surface!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 CDHealy

heya lads thanks for the encouragement! are any of ye interested in playing?
    reckon it will be a 30 somethings game with those we have so far and will be keen to have closer to the 7/9 a side if possible :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

CDHealy wrote: »
    heya lads thanks for the encouragement! are any of ye interested in playing?
    reckon it will be a 30 somethings game with those we have so far and will be keen to have closer to the 7/9 a side if possible :)

I'd be interested. Which day/time are you looking at? If you are talking 30 somethings I'm presuming late on a Monday/Tuesday evening?

Starting this Wednesday at 8 pm email cdhealy@gmail.com with your details and I will add you to the list

Just another suggestion on this. There are also indoor facilities in Gormanstown College. It's only a few minutes away and is another option as I believe when the light starts to go and the football season kicks back in, Glebe like to have access to their all weather.

Just another suggestion on this. There are also indoor facilities in Gormanstown College. It's only a few minutes away and is another option as I believe when the light starts to go and the football season kicks back in, Glebe like to have access to their all weather.
    The Gormo facility isn't a patch on the Glebe facility in fairness.

It's also possible to work around the training schedule, they only have two senior teams who use it.

• Advertisement

Bluetonic wrote: »
    The Gormo facility isn't a patch on the Glebe facility in fairness.

It's also possible to work around the training schedule, they only have two senior teams who use it.

Yes, but they also have a raft of schoolboy teams. I've used both and agree that it's nicer to play outdoors. The one thing I'd say about Glebe is the last time I played there, the light wasn't great. Indoor tends to mean you can guarantee good conditions/light/people (when it's pissing down)!

Yes, but they also have a raft of schoolboy teams. I've used both and agree that it's nicer to play outdoors. The one thing I'd say about Glebe is the last time I played there, the light wasn't great. Indoor tends to mean you can guarantee good conditions/light/people (when it's pissing down)!
    Very few of the school boy teams train down there in the evenings so should be ok on that account. Monday and Wednesdays the second team are in there from 8pm, not sure about the first team as when they train depends on when they play (i.e they play Friday nights most of the time at home and Sundays away)

I agree with you about the lights but they were fixed back in October and have been fine the last few months, a good few of the bulbs were blown.

I always found Gormo quite slippy and dangerous, more so than the Gelbe. Mind you it's around 10 years since I played in Gormo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

I think Glebe has a "twilight" league. I saw notices for it recently down the town. It's for pitches rented after 8pm. The prices were far cheaper as well.

If I find the notice I'll repost it here. Best of luck with the 5-a-sides.

Eoineo wrote: »
    I think Glebe has a "twilight" league. I saw notices for it recently down the town. It's for pitches rented after 8pm. The prices were far cheaper as well.
    Not sure about that as Mondays and Wednesdays their second team train on the only pitch they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Too bad, I already have a game in Gormo on a Wednesday! Which isn't slippy and dangerous if you're wearing the right shoes (proper indoor football runners are a must but they're actually not that easy to get for some reason). I've been playing there regularly for a long time and not had any slips other than the occasional leak from the roof or standing on the curtain (I heartily DON'T recommend this!)

blastman wrote: »
    I've been playing there regularly for a long time and not had any slips other than the occasional leak from the roof or standing on the curtain (I heartily DON'T recommend this!)
    I was talking about playing at faster than walking pace ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭groomek

aniascor wrote: »
    If anyone is interested in playing five aside soccer in Balbriggan, the Bremore Castle residents association is setting up a league. This is a great way to meet people in the area. The league is open to all. PM me for details or check out www.bremorecastle.com

Hey there.def interested in playing.have you set a day and time yet,how much will it cost.

it is on from 8-9pm on wednesdays, email me cdhealy@gmail.com with your details. i email around every tuesday to see who is available

How has this been going? Have there been many turning up the last couple of weeks?

Yes have been getting good numbers from the estate from flyers I handed out some have had decent numbers for both weeks - no one from boards though

• Advertisement

Is this going ahead tonight?

Ya on at 8

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

Bit of a Hail Mary asking in such an old thread, but 5 aside football in Balbriggan is exactly what I'm looking for, wonder if this is still on the go?

Works have meant ive not been able to play for last couple of years but I want to start into playing again to lose weight and gain fitness, and to better enjoy life.
    Im on a weekly cycle of earlies or lates at work. So wondering if theres any where in North Dublin where adults play an early game of 5 aside or similar, that finishes at 1pm or earlier. I realise this is a lot rarer than evening games but id be willing to turn up anywhere between Balbriggan and Clontarf for the week of earlies. Closer to home (Balbriggan) on lates hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

darlett wrote: »
    Bit of a Hail Mary asking in such an old thread, but 5 aside football in Balbriggan is exactly what I'm looking for, wonder if this is still on the go?
    You never know - some of the earlier posters may not be on their Zimmer frames yet & may be able to advise you. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Username Exists.

www.findafive.ie

They also have a facebook page Find a 5 A Side.

Haven't used either but it's a start.

Advertisement