Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Fantasy Football (OP updated with leagues)

• 10-05-2010 11:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭

editNow that the bread and butter of the Premier League is out of the way it's time to look forward.

What I propose we do is get a few different games as options, post them here and I'll edit the thread as necessary.

Then in a week or two we can stick up a poll, vote on the best one and set up a league.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Updated to include the leagues that have been created.

Uefa/MacDonald's:

http://en.mcdonalds.fantasy.fifa.com/M/tac.mc

League: 30692-7190

Head 2 Head: 30692-7205

Sky Sports:

http://worldfantasyfootball.skysports.com/Index.aspx

Code: 871

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i was wondering when someone would bring it up.

excellent idea.

i'll probably be sh*t at whatever one is chosen, but it's an excellent idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

As the reigning champion of the Boards.ie African Nations Fantasy Football (god knows how, didn't log in till after the group stages! :D) I'd be up for this - although the last one I did in 2006 allowed unlimited number of players from each country after the group stages and was rubbish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I think the McDonalds sponsored one through the UEFA site is the one we used for Euro 2008 isn't it?

Thought that had a decent enough layout and good valuations etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Yea I want to do this. Hopefully we can find a good one to play with a decent layout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭token56

I'm going to need something to fill my fix of fantasy football until next season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

This should be good!!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭will1977

Count me in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Fire the link up I might as well suck at that like I have at the premiership one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Ah sure why not? Might be a laugh. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Sounds good, would fill the void left by the EPL fanatsy football league for a few weeks anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭neil.p.b

+1, nothing better then having your ff team open in the background during a match, it might actually be kinda boring without it!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

I'm all for it, sounds good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

mcdonalds one is usually the best, but they wont be really active until all the squads are announced

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭1mcampo1

Sure...nothing else to do!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Count me in.

McDonalds do one as does the Metro newspaper.

There are usually a few others. Ideally one that uses the same sort of layout as the premier league one, I know there was some similar before for the Euros through a site called Can You Kick It but they may have changed their format since, I know they do a premier league one but I havent used it in a few seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I'd be up for this. If there's one with a decent limit on players from each team it'd be ideal. It's no fun unless you have to have a North Korean in your team :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

+1. These are great. Hopefully there's one similar to the FPL one. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I'll give it a lash.:)
    I tend to get bored of the FPL after a few months, but this'll be grand cos it's shorter.:p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I'm in thats for sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Should be fun, I'm in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

http://www.fantasyfifaworldcup.com/ is one I've found.

Doesnt seem to be any restrictions to players,as in how many from each team.

Do you's reckon there will be more sites up and running when the official squads are announced? Looking to set up a private one for mates,a few of them want it soon so theres no faffing about with cash etc.

The one that's going to go up here is the same site we used for Euro 2008.

Me and a few mates used it for WC 2006 too. It's generally the best one.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Iamhere

Sounds good...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Gillington wrote: »
    http://www.fantasyfifaworldcup.com/ is one I've found.

Doesnt seem to be any restrictions to players,as in how many from each team.
    If you look at the How to Play section it says you can only pick one player from any team
    The format of the game is simple. You must pick a team consisting of 1 goalkeeper, 4 defenders, 3 midfielders and 3 strikers. You have no budget to worry about, but you are initially only permitted to pick 1 player from any of the represented countries.

You are able to make as many changes to your teams lineup as you like, as often as you like, leading up to the start of the championships. However, as soon as the first game kicks off all teams in the competition will be frozen.

On completion of the Group stage, each team will be permitted to make up to 5 transfers in total throughout the remainder of the tournament. Points already scored by your players will not be lost, and you will not get points scored by your new player prior to the transfer being made. Transfers can be made at any time after the Group stage is complete, although will only count for games that kick-off after the change has been made. Once the transfer window is open, each team will be permitted to select up to 3 players from any country.
    This combined with the fact that you can only make a total of 5 transfers throughout the tournament would make it very difficult and I could see a lot of people getting frustrated with it in the latter stages, although I like the challenge myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Sky Sports have a good one. Two players per nation in the initial rounds then moving up as you go along. No transfer fees so you can pick who you like. You get 30 transfers for the duration of the tournament, 15 max per round.

I've set-up a league if anyone wants to join now. Just click the link below and go to 'Join Existing League'. PIN is 870.

http://worldfantasyfootball.skysports.com/FriendsLeague.aspx?mode=new

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

leggo wrote: »
    Sky Sports have a good one. Two players per nation in the initial rounds then moving up as you go along. No transfer fees so you can pick who you like. You get 30 transfers for the duration of the tournament, 15 max per round.

I've set-up a league if anyone wants to join now. Just click the link below and go to 'Join Existing League'. PIN is 870.

Transfer fees are a good thing normally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I joined this one...

RichTea wrote: »
    Transfer fees are a good thing normally.

I'd agree in the case of the Premiership and Champions League. But with the World Cup, I like it, you get to pick the best team possible and see who performs and who doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Joined this league.... 'Red Barons on Tour' is my team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Just joined this league there, "special olympiakos"

Just approved you lads.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I'm in too

Laters on the Menjays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Joined as 'Sporting Lesbian'

Went for a 4-3-3.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Im in..Norfolk N' Chance - cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Axwell wrote: »
    Im in..Norfolk N' Chance - cheers

Best name ever :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭jamesozzie

Im just about to sign up too, looks good!! Ozzie Allstars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

No transfer fees makes it's pretty easy tbh.

Everyone will have the same core group of players so it'll be decided by the odd gamble here and there.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    No transfer fees makes it's pretty easy tbh.

Everyone will have the same core group of players so it'll be decided by the odd gamble here and there.

This.

The UEFA/Maccy D's one is much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

joined. Top Top XI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Frisbee wrote: »
    The one that's going to go up here is the same site we used for Euro 2008.

Me and a few mates used it for WC 2006 too. It's generally the best one.

I'm gonna hold on for this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

I say stick to the tried and tested UEFA one

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    I'm gonna hold on for this one.
    Adamcp898 wrote: »
    I say stick to the tried and tested UEFA one

It's worth it imo.

Player limits.
    Transfer fees.
    Prizes (if your good enough :pac:)
    Plus as said above, it's tried and tested.

Yea we all my aswell join and play the same one. Other wise it just won't be as good. All disscussing different during the WC etc. So maybe hold out a little while longer than make a poll to vote for which format everyone prefers etc? Just an idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    Yea we all my aswell join and play the same one. Other wise it just won't be as good. All disscussing different during the WC etc. So maybe hold out a little while longer than make a poll to vote for which format everyone prefers etc? Just an idea.

Well that was the initial idea as per the OP but some folk have gone ahead and started one up already.

Makes it all messy now as we'll have more than one competition running by the looks of it.

Well that was the initial idea as per the OP but some folk have gone ahead and started one up already.

Makes it all messy now as we'll have more than one competition running by the looks of it.

Yea true. Well everyone else hold out and we'll organise a main boards WC FF league! No need to decide on one yet, we still have a few weeks.

The McD one is a much better system so we'll get more people using that and the one people have already started most likely will be forgotten tbh, mainly because it looks like an atrocious layout.

To be honest, I was bored that night and fancied picking a Fantasy squad so I threw the option open to any boardsies who wanted to enter. I'll likely be doing the McD's one myself too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Nothing stopping everyone joining a second more challenging one.

I'll be joining the "official" one ye'll be doing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭will1977

Just registered but it won't allow me to pick my team :confused:

will1977 wrote: »
    Just registered but it won't allow me to pick my team :confused:

Yea hardly any of the 23 man squads have been announced so guess were going to have to wait a while to be able to pick teams etc. Is the dead line foe the 23 man squads 1st June? Only gives us a week to pick and change our teams!

• Advertisement
Advertisement