Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Fantasy Football (OP updated with leagues)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Flimbos

Hi all. soccer forum newbie here.
    I'm having an ok run in the FF so far, but I'm having a similar dilemma to some of you - 3 forwards played so far are Messi (8), Gyan (9) and Donovan (20 as captain). I've Villa on the bench, as well as Kaka, Elano and Sneijder.

Should I drop Messi for Villa, and would you take the captaincy from Donovan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Leave the captaincy with Higuain or take a punt and transfer it to Fabiano/Villa.

Decisions decisions...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Fabiano is worth a punt. Chile are missing two of their first choice three defenders, and Brazil have scored 25 goals in their last 6 meetings with Chile. Spain and Portugal will be a tight game imo, and Portugal have yet to concede so I'd avoid Villa tbh.

*sees you are in 4 of the same private leagues as me*

Actually scratch all that. Give your captaincy to Slovakia's keeper.

Fabiano it is :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

For a change I aired on the side of caution and left the captaincy with Forlan. Think I'm going to leave Luis Fabiano on the bench too. Have Messi with 8, Forlan with 9 (18) and brought RVP in as a sub. I doubt Luis will get much attacking bonuses etc, so its down to will he score 2+ or goal and assist, don't think its a gamble worth taking. Don't know when I went soft/sensible/pussy (what ever it is!) to be honest.

Edit// Just read what Archimedes said, maybe he is worth a punt! Damn you for re-confusing me!

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    For a change I aired on the side of caution and left the captaincy with Forlan. Think I'm going to leave Luis Fabiano on the bench too. Have Messi with 8, Forlan with 9 (18) and brought RVP in as a sub. I doubt Luis will get much attacking bonuses etc, so its down to will he score 2+ or goal and assist, don't think its a gamble worth taking. Don't know when I went soft/sensible/pussy (what ever it is!) to be honest.

Similar situation to myself. Have Forlan on 9 (18 as captain), Suarez on 14 and Higuain on 10, with RVP on the bench. Tempted to bring him on, but decided to be cautious and stick with what I have!

Elano, De Jong, Van Der Wiel and Stekelenburg left to play, currently on 66 from the remaining 7 players.

My only regret is forgetting to give Suarez the armband...

Frisbee wrote: »
    My only regret is forgetting to give Suarez the armband...

Don't worry, Fabiano will score a hat-trick tomorrow, because Gary "Officially recognised by FIFA as the best player at the World Cup so far®" Medel is suspended ;)

Archimedes wrote: »
    Don't worry, Fabiano will score a hat-trick tomorrow, because Gary "Officially recognised by FIFA as the best player at the World Cup so far®" Medel is suspended ;)

They still have Mark "World's worst decision maker who consistently shoots from 40 yards when he has two free players making overlaps with a clear goalscoring opportunity beckoning" Gonzalez though.

He could curtail Maicons points somewhat....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Ive pinned all my hopes on the slight brazilian Robinho, have taken the captaincy off Forlan(9) the first day and now ive taken it off Klose(9) today, so Vamos lá Brasil, ganhar bem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

eagle eye wrote: »
    Villa has 29 points to date and its on him you should be basing your decision.

I'd take 4.5 pts off his score because Portugal have not conceded a goal in the tournament so far.that leaves him on 24.5/3 = 8.06 pts avg. against a tough defense, so I'd say go for it as you are getting a free shot with Robben before you have to bring in Villa.

Why the figure of 4.5?:confused:

I have Kaka, Elano and Snijder to bring in with only two places, unless i replace Ozil and his 6 points.... thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Degag wrote: »
    Why the figure of 4.5?:confused:

I have Kaka, Elano and Snijder to bring in with only two places, unless i replace Ozil and his 6 points.... thoughts?
    I actually made a mistake with that figure, it should have been 2.5 which makes a huge difference. It means you are taking off 7.5 from his score which leaves him at a likleyhood of 7.08 but its still worth bringing him in even at that. Its half the score for a goal and I'd take that off his score to balance against Portugal not conceding to this stage in the tournament.

Anyways on your own one, this is very difficult. Firstly I'd leave it until 2.30 pm tomorrow to make sure Sneijder is playing which is almost certain anyways.

I don't know the scores for thsoe players but Elano missed the last game, is he deffo starting this one?

Basically the way I decide is math.

What I'd do is add the scores of the three players you can bring in together and divide by the number of games they have played.

So lets say Elano has only played 2 games, Kaka 2 also and Sneijder 3, then their combined scored divided by 7 games. If the average is better than 6 I'd drop Ozil, if its under six then I'd leave him in.

I actually made a mistake with that figure, it should have been 2.5 which makes a huge difference. It means you are taking off 7.5 from his score which leaves him at a likleyhood of 7.08 but its still worth bringing him in even at that. Its half the score for a goal and I'd take that off his score to balance against Portugal not conceding to this stage in the tournament.

Anyways on your own one, this is very difficult. Firstly I'd leave it until 2.30 pm tomorrow to make sure Sneijder is playing which is almost certain anyways.

I don't know the scores for thsoe players but Elano missed the last game, is he deffo starting this one?

Basically the way I decide is math.

What I'd do is add the scores of the three players you can bring in together and divide by the number of games they have played.

So lets say Elano has only played 2 games, Kaka 2 also and Sneijder 3, then their combined scored divided by 7 games. If the average is better than 6 I'd drop Ozil, if its under six then I'd leave him in.

Well, considering that i'm definately bringing in 2 players, would the best way be to get an individual average for the 3 players and bring in the 2 best. Then if the worst players average is better than 6, bring him in also?

Anyhow i've decided to bring in all three, as even if one or two don't work, i've also got Iniesta for the last day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

Villa has 29 points to date and its on him you should be basing your decision.

I'd take 4.5 pts off his score because Portugal have not conceded a goal in the tournament so far.that leaves him on 24.5/3 = 8.06 pts avg. against a tough defense, so I'd say go for it as you are getting a free shot with Robben before you have to bring in Villa.

Deffo a poker player!

I don't think it needs to be broken down that much however, for the same reasons you can't make money off football gambling based on statistical probability.

I've seen my points this rd reduced from 66 to 28 due to subs. I do however potentially have 8 more runners though. A lot of my eggs are in Brazil/Netherlands clean sheet baskets today. Had to cut Messi on 16 as cap, which hurt. Banking on Robinho or Villa to beat that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Had my armband on KP Boateng He got 19 with it, took it off him gave to messi got 16 with it. Tempted to give it to Villa but he'll probs get 14:/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭timetogetfit

what should I do lads

messi is my lowest scorring forward on 8 with forlan on 9 and higuain on 10, however I have fabiano on the bench and also villa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I'd say my private league is done and dusted, 27 points behind. 9th in boards league.

Donovan (10), Chungyong(9), Jungsoo(7), Higuain(10) have killed me, while my bunch of fringe players (Lahm, Howard, etc) all have got 2,3 or 4. All our main players are pretty much the same.

Stekelenburg, Maicon, Elano, Kaka, Sneidjer, Fabiano to play today. Fabiano is my only differential. Tempted to put him as Capt (instead of Forlan) and play all or nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Rooney10 wrote: »
    I'd say my private league is done and dusted, 27 points behind. 9th in boards league.

Donovan (10), Chungyong(9), Jungsoo(7), Higuain(10) have killed me, while my bunch of fringe players (Lahm, Howard, etc) all have got 2,3 or 4. All our main players are pretty much the same.

Stekelenburg, Maicon, Elano, Kaka, Sneidjer, Fabiano to play today. Fabiano is my only differential. Tempted to put him as Capt (instead of Forlan) and play all or nothing.

27 points? That is nothing.. I can see lots of big points swings especially in the next stages with only 2 days of games in each round after this. If you put Fbaiano as captain and he does the business then you're right back in it.

I've switched the captaincy from Messi to Kaka, and put Sneijder in for Ozil.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    27 points? That is nothing.. I can see lots of big points swings especially in the next stages with only 2 days of games in each round after this. If you put Fbaiano as captain and he does the business then you're right back in it.

I've switched the captaincy from Messi to Kaka, and put Sneijder in for Ozil.

I'm about 40 off the 3 leaders in mine, and have maybe a glimmer of hope, but I reckon it's done n dusted. I think the only approach from here is to take some chances on absolute wildcards and hope to get lucky.

Everyone basically has the same team give or take a player or two, so what's the point in having Sneijder/Kaka/Fabiano/Maicon/Higuain/Messi etc etc when everyone else does? Although these players might do great, the absolute best you can expect is to equal the leaders' points haul.

Anyone who identified this quandry in the transfer window will have loaded up with Japanese/Ghanian/Paraguayan/Slovak/Uruguayan etc players and hoped for the best. I didn't do this, but in hindsight I probably should've. This kind of rolling the dice is the only way to pull the leaders back at this stage I reckon.

You do raise a point with the shortened round timetable; there's a bit more gamble involved, especially with Brazil/Spain/Portugal all playing later in the rounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    27 points is a lot with a squad thats 80% similar. I'd be 36 points behind if I move captaincy to Fabiano. Hopefully I can claw back to 20 by the end of the round. Depends on RVP vs Fabiano.

Fabiano on the double please!

Hamsik looks lively so far.... guaranteed to get a goal now that i got rid of him.:rolleyes:

For anybody who has Robben waiting in the wings, he might be worth a risk. Van Der Vaart withdrew from training midway through it today and is a doubt for tomorrow.

Hope somebody took my advice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I did :)

Dont gloat so soon! Robben on a yellow with 45+ mins of that crazy ref running around with his hand in his pocket. Diriculous booking for that handball.

Nice Sneijder "Assist", I'll take it though! :p

consultech wrote: »
    Dont gloat so soon! Robben on a yellow with 45+ mins of that crazy ref running around with his hand in his pocket. Diriculous booking for that handball.

Nice Sneijder "Assist", I'll take it though! :p

I'm not gloating, I didn't even take my own advice :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭d93c2inhxfok4y

Is it too late to join this league? Only got onto the soccer forum now!

This match has been good for me.Stekelenburg,Sneijder and Robben (C) has given me a lot of points

titan18 wrote: »
    This match has been good for me.Stekelenburg,Sneijder and Robben (C) has given me a lot of points

Yeah, have Stekelenburg, Sneijder and Van Der Wiel myself with Kaka, Elano and Bastos to play tonight. Sitting on 91 points, should break the 100 mark easily enough touch wood!

Crap. Damn Stekelenburg. Better save this. Why did you guys have to jinx it?

Crap. Damn Stekelenburg. Better save this. Why did you guys have to jinx it?

Damn it.That cost me a few points :(

• Advertisement

Degag wrote: »
    Yeah, have Stekelenburg, Sneijder and Van Der Wiel myself with Kaka, Elano and Bastos to play tonight. Sitting on 91 points, should break the 100 mark easily enough touch wood!

DoubleFacePalm.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

There goes the clean sheet. Damnit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭paul150

10 points lost grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Absolutely raging:/

Had stek in goal, 10points, drops down to 3. Took off kingston for him who had 6. Had Van Die Wiel at the back for 9 points, down to 5.

Ugh

EDIT: Alot of other people had this same problem, doesn't feel as bad:)

Absolute pisstake. That peno just cost me 11 points. Was the Slovak player offside?? Im fairly sure Im actually cursed, this kind of s**t has happened to me every day for the last 2 weeks.

That's me cooked so. Time to transfer my points all the way to zero so it looks like I never tried to begin with!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

paul150 wrote: »
    10 points lost grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    Same as, and I left Fabiano on the bench to put in van Persie too. I still have Maicon to play today and I'm gonna put in Kawashima, Coentrao, Honda, and Ronaldo for tomorrow so hopefully get a good few points from them.

I like to consider myself as a team player. Every player I pick plays sh!te, and the ones I don't pick because I'll think will play sh!te are awesome. I do this for you boards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

2nd time in 2 days my captaincy has not changed even though I confirmed it... starting to think its mocking me...

Also lost 11 points because of that penalty :( think I may just give up

My main opponents have van Persie (5) and Elano (Bench) so I've had a good start to the day, apart from van der Wiel conceding late on.

I have van der Wiel (5), A. Pereira (5) and Maicon at the back. I've Coentrao and a Paraguay defender on the bench so I'll probably throw both of them in even though I'm not too confident that they will deliver big points.

Hopefully Kaka does the business as Captain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Feck sake!! my captain, who I didn't want to be captain in the first place gets a yellow... I well a truly hate this game now :mad:

• Advertisement

Ehh Kaka assist points anytime soon please?!

consultech wrote: »
    Ehh Kaka assist points anytime soon please?!

For the second goal? they have been added for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Had Messi as captain but took it off him and stuck it on Van Persie. :pac:

I've Villa in reserve though so looks like I need him to come good for me just like in the last round...

Had Messi as captain but took it off him and stuck it on Van Persie. :pac:

I've Villa in reserve though so looks like I need him to come good for me just like in the last round...

Took mine off Messi and put it on Kaka, I will need Honda to deliver if Kaka doesn't pick up some more points in the last few minutes.

Edit: He just got taken off.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭postalservice

To take Messi off for Villa......:confused:

To take Messi off for Villa......:confused:

Same situation myself and also to take off heinze/ holland defender who got me 5 points each for 2 paraguians:/

Ronaldo for Forlan(9)? anyone think Ronaldo will bang in a few goals tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Same Messi & Villa conundrum here, not sure i'll chance it. I have alsodecide whether to bring in Honda for a 5 point hit.

Goin good 360 points where would that have me in Boards league?

Same Messi & Villa conundrum here, not sure i'll chance it. I have alsodecide whether to bring in Honda for a 5 point hit.

Goin good 360 points where would that have me in Boards league?

Oh you might as well throw on Honda, you would be joint 15th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well I dropped Messi from my team and end up with three 9 pointers up front and one of them Captain.

I have four to drop now and five I can bring in. I just don't know what way to go about it.

I'm deffo bringing in Xavi and Villar in goals then its a choice between Pique, Ramos and Honda. I just don't know which way to go though.

Having watched Paraguay they have been excellent in defense and don't foul much but Honda is the most fouled player in the tournament.

I kinda like the idea of Honda as if Paraguay do concede its very likely he will be involved. Also if I bring in two Spanish defenders and they concede its a bit of a disaster.

I currently only have 3 in midfield and four at the back. Two 4 pointers and 1 3 pointer who are going out.

Choice of Ramos, Pique and Honda for two spots. Who would you go for?

Advertisement