Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Fantasy Football (OP updated with leagues)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 498 ✭✭Splainc

Count me in on this too if there is no money involved. Was in way too many PL fantasy games this season....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I agree it's best to hang on for the official one. I'd say that will be the most popular one when the tournament kicks off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

is there an offical boards league created yet, seen several mentioned but no definate confirmation on which one we're using

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

irish-stew wrote: »
    is there an offical boards league created yet, seen several mentioned but no definate confirmation on which one we're using

No, not yet. I'd say one will be decided on closer to the 23 man deadline...

There is an unofficial one up there somewhere that I joined (I think it's a sky sports one), no transfer fees. Just pick what you think is the best one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

leggo wrote: »
    To be honest, I was bored that night and fancied picking a Fantasy squad so I threw the option open to any boardsies who wanted to enter. I'll likely be doing the McD's one myself too.

Same, I just made a team coz I didn't feel like studying. One with transfer fees would certainly be better so I'll be casting my vote for the Uefa one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Count me in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

My team is "Henry's Left Hand".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

So is the FIFA/McD's one the official one or is the Sky Sports the one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You need transfer fees and limits to have a skill element in it. Just picking out every player you want makes it a ridic thing imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

"The Handballers" have joined the Sky one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

Hello all. Anyone interested in playing fantasy football for the world cup can do so here http://en.mcdonalds.fantasy.fifa.com/ .Teams can be selected from 4th of June

I have set up a classic league code 30692-7190 and a head 2 head league code 30692-7205

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

Sorry Xavi

I didn't see the thread in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

The McDonalds one on fifa is the best one. Forget the rest of them. Its very similiar to premierleague.com

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

AS Atletico el Nino is up for this ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Xavi-n A Laugh are in for the Maccers one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Joining the McD's one here now, Barstoolers<3LoI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I've entered all the leagues. eagleeyepatriots is my team name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Joined the two McD's leagues.

Team Name: Jackobyte Army

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

In for the McD's one. ScubaDivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Joined the McD's one and Sky one under Its A Bit Chile.

Sky team is:

G. Buffon

J. Terry
    G. Pique
    P. Lahm
    R. Marquez

Xavi
    G. Medel
    W. Sneijder

W. Rooney
    H. Suazo
    L. Fabiano

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

im in the sky sports "club before country" league, 871.
    is this the boards league?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Nom Nom Hamburger FC enetered into McD's league

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Macker1

Just entered the McDonald's game

Team is Rafa's Revenge :D

Should be fun !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,595 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

AC aLittleSilhoutte are in.

Joined the McDonalds one with Life is Messi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Invincible

Hi all,
    the crew that run Fantasy premierleague(ISM games) that we play here are running a World cup version for Fox Sports,apparently using a very similar scoring system to the FPL,it opens up properly on June 4th,but you can register your email now for updates beforehand. :)

http://footballworldcupfantasy.foxsports.com.au/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

Invincible wrote: »
    Hi all,
    the crew that run Fantasy premierleague(ISM games) that we play here are running a World cup version for Fox Sports
    http://footballworldcupfantasy.foxsports.com.au/

ISM games also make the fifa mcdonalds fantatsy game as well (I reckon it's the same game, after looking at the engine and seeing some reviews). The layout of it is pretty similar to the Premier League one. There's an article here for anyone that's interested in some of the changes from premier league for this tournament

http://www.fantasyfootballscout.co.uk/2010/05/18/fifa-dishes-up-a-supersized-fantasy-game/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Just been looking at the Rules for the official FIFA game and heres some of the stuff that stood out for me:

* A max of 2 players allowed from any one team - I like this, it means there should be a good variety in the squads initally.

* There's no vice-captains. Nice ;) Should make the Round 3 of group games very interesting when players start to get rested. However, im looking at the Substitution rule and it looks like you can change captain on the fly during the GW....

* There's a massive cleansheet bonus of 6 points for GKs

* No penalty assist bonuses

* Points bonuses / penalties for gaining possession, delivering crosses, fouls conceded

Interesting stuff.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Vokes wrote: »
    * Points bonuses / penalties for gaining possession, delivering crosses, fouls conceded
    Wonder how that will work...

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

It basically means don't pick Mascherano.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Im in the McDs one as "Uruguay Imagirl"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Stuck in a team in the Sky Sports one, Linden Village FC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

There's a new Irish site running one as well if anyone's interested.

http://www.ubecha.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Xavi6 wrote: »
    There's a new Irish site running one as well if anyone's interested.

http://www.ubecha.com/

Signed up to that,might use that instead of the mcdonalds one for my money league after reading this email.

Just read a good article on the world cup fantasy, few different rules on points scoring that are mad, try get your head around them

The new HD box is on its way. The brownie points are being banked. The dreadful tat is in the shops (have you got your Engerland beer fridge yet?). The early symptoms of World Cup fever are setting in and that means us Fantasy Managers need to up our search for a fix this Summer.
    While there have already been a few early entries, perhaps the most significant game launch so far has spawned from the marriage of Ronald McDonald and Sepp Blatter (I can’t tell you how hard it was to resist the obvious clown joke), with the official FIFA game, presented by McDonalds, opening up for registration at the weekend…
    Just like the Champions League effort sponsored by the burger flippers, this game could well be as close as we’re likely to get to a Fantasy Premier League-like experience. There are some clear similarities in the rules - most notably the fluctuating player prices (measured by 1-10 values in this game) and the nomination of a Captain to earn double points. We all know what fun and dilemmas those two features can produce.
    There’s plenty of unpredictable curve-balls thrown our way though; the 23-man squad with only two players from each nation allowed at the Group Stages, will be a real test and one that promises to make this game one that separates the men from the boys, or the Big Mac’s from the Happy Meals if you want to flog the analogy to death.
    The way you can use this squad once the game gets underway promises to be even more testing. The group stages are split into three rounds of matches and you can choose to sub players in and out of your eleven once the round is underway. This means you can switch players in and out after they’ve played in the round, including your captain. This allows you to gamble points you’ve already earned against those potentially earned by players on your bench who are yet to take part in the round. So, although only eleven players can score you points each round, this is very much a squad game and tinkerers will fancy themselves as having an advantage over the hands-off brigade.
    The scoring system also favours the hardcore manager. While a straight five points is earned for a goal scored and three for an assist, there are so supplementary bonus points to be scored that are far less straightforward to predict and follow while you’re sat in front of the box.
    The attacking bonus point system looks particularly puzzling. According to the rules players will earn a point for every two balls they deliver into the penalty area. It’s then stated that this can be via “Player making run, Player passing, Player receiving, Cross”. Crystal clear? Not quite. Add the fact that points are also lost for every five “balls given away” and things get even more cloudy. Apparently this is calculated from the “sum of wrong passes (except wrong clearances) and losing possession tackles suffered”. Right.
    Try explaining that as you round up numbers for your league in the office. Follow it up with the fact that there are defending bonus points which score bonus for recovering a ball, balanced out by lost points for every three fouls committed. Then mention that they’ve got to choose 23 players and then hit them with the fact that there are three modes including a classic scoring league, Head-to-head leagues and a World Cup mode. The latter in particular, adds more fun and flavour but it all adds to a rather bamboozling array of rules and options that threatens to intimidate all but the toughened Fantasy Manager.
    This is not your ideal game for a casual mini-league situation then but it is free to play so there’s no qualms there. And, despite the complexities, the challenge it presents and the familiarity to the Fantasy Premier League game make it an option that we’re likely support here on the site

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

Revoblue in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Joined the McDonalds one as CypherSounds, dont forget you can start picking your teams on 4th June.

Its the 4th and it won't let me pick my team. They have had two days.

4th June and STILL cant pick the team.... Am I missing something?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Patience lads, i'm sure it'll be ready tonight or tomorrow at the latest hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Sherifu wrote: »
    Patience lads, i'm sure it'll be ready tonight or tomorrow at the latest hopefully.

But I wanna play now !!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    But I wanna play now !!!!!
    B7Hzw.jpg

SHES UP AND RUNNING!

Sweet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

That's a lot of players to pick...

My first effort:

wccff.jpg

Im not quite sure how this works!! Your picking your team for the first round of games? how do you change formation?? need to read it more me thinks.

EDIT- i know now how to change formation!

• Advertisement

23 players? Bloody hell. :eek:

They have made it a bit daft with the substitutions part:

SUBSTITUTIONS:

Once the round commences, you have a choice: You can either take a 'hands off' approach and wait for automatic substitutions to happen at the end of the round, or you can get more involved and make some substitutions as the round progresses.
    At the start of each day (00:00 South African time) during the round, a substitution window opens. In this window you can:
    • Replace any player that wasn't sent off with one from your bench who is yet to play.
    • Change your captain, providing he wasn’t sent off, with someone whose team is yet to play.
    On a matchday, the substitution window will close 15 minutes before the first kick-off.
    The player chosen to bring in must adhere to the formation rules. E.g. if you only have 3 defenders in your starting 11, you may not replace a defender for another midfielder as there is no legal formation with only two defenders.
    An unlimited number of substitutions can be made but only eleven players with one captain can score points each round.
    Here are some reasons you may choose to make substitutions:
    • One of your players goes off injured after a few minutes
    • Your captain wasn't selected to play in the round.
    • You are a gambler and decide that one of your substitutes will score more points than someone who already played in the round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

23 players? Bloody hell. :eek:

Yea I know its so many! Taking me ages here! Surely its not a bad idea to have like 4/5 very very cheap players, using the extra money for your starting team? As opposed to having 23 decent players. No need to have 12 good subs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭1mcampo1

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    Surely its not a bad idea to have like 4/5 very very cheap players, using the extra money for your starting team? As opposed to having 23 decent players. No need to have 12 good subs!

Thats what i was thinking....

If you read the Substitutions part above... it may not be a bad idea to have 1 or 2 decent players you can bring on, if your original team member had a bad game.

• Advertisement
Advertisement