Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Fantasy Football (OP updated with leagues)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Rooney10 wrote: »
    Maybe my understanding is completely a*seways, but....

It looks like, you play all the players who are playing first (so I'll have Kaka on the bench vs North Korea, just because they aren't playing on until the 15th), and I'll have Howard in goal vs England, with Julio Cesar on the bench (for the same reason). If they don't do anything (as expected), then you can sub in players that haven't played (in this case, the ones you would think are more likely to get points).

IE: If the gamble doesn't pay off, just sub in players. Only catch being you can't sub in players that have already played.

The whole system seems absolutely nuts to be honest. Hopefully I've just picked it up wrongly?

No, i've a feeling that's how it works!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Maybe my understanding is completely a*seways, but....

It looks like, you play all the players who are playing first (so I'll have Kaka on the bench vs North Korea, just because they aren't playing on until the 15th), and I'll have Howard in goal vs England, with Julio Cesar on the bench (for the same reason). If they don't do anything (as expected), then you can sub in players that haven't played (in this case, the ones you would think are more likely to get points).

IE: If the gamble doesn't pay off, just sub in players. Only catch being you can't sub in players that have already played.

The whole system seems absolutely nuts to be honest. Hopefully I've just picked it up wrongly?

So basically you have to be watching closely everyday, cause lets say for example you have Malouda on the bench and you were happy enough that Lampard would get enough points in his match, but say Englands match finishes about 30 mins before France kick off and Lampard had a crap game so you'd wanna be quick to make a substitution??

But yet it says on matchday substitutions window will close 15 mins before first kick off ffs thats no good so we cant actually sub a player in if a player has a bad game that same day, lol ive just answered my question there, its kinda all over the placce as regards making a sub.
    Hmmm i may go study the kick off times and dates of certain teams to make sure i have back up on the bench that i can actually put on if a starting player has played badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

No you can't sub in players playing on the same day. You sub between midnight SA time and 15 mins before kick-off, so every morning. Best thing to do is sort your team in order of match days. Say you have Torres and Villa as strikers and a Mexico sub, your better off starting the Mexican first and if he doesn't do well you can sub in Torres or Villa before the last day. That's what I'll do anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

So, my Brazil players will be on my bench when I confirm my lineup for the first game, even though they are playing North Korea.

This is mental.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

And I've gone crosseyed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

With regards to Captaincy, it looks to me like you can change it in each substution window to someone who hasn't played yet.

So if I have Rooney (playing on the 12th), Schweinsteiger (13th), Sneijder (14th), Fabiano (15th) and D. Villa (16th) in my squad, I should keep the captaincy moving forward until one of them does something significant (e.g. scores a goal or two, etc...)? Have I read that right?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Yeah pretty much. But you can sub any player like this not just the captaincy. You are allowed make changes on each day up to 15 mins before the first match kicks off.

So if a player does crap you can ditch him as long as the player you bring in fits into a proper formation. You can also change your captain and gamble that the next one you bring in will get more points than the one you previously had.

Arrrggghh madness!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Thinking make homer go crazy!!

homer_shining.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

So just to be very clear.

If Rooney is on match day one and he scores one goal. And I think that Torres will score more on the following day, I can sub him out.

However if he doesnt, I cant sub Rooney back in I presume.

Correct, and no you cant sub a player back in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Munster Magic

I have made a few changes after reading the subs rules:

Casillas

Ivanovic Vidic Lahm

Cahill Lampard Ribery Malouda

Messi V. Persie Rooney

Subs: Pique, Maicon, Kaka, Sneijder, Ronaldo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

I have made a few changes after reading the subs rules:

Casillas

Ivanovic Vidic Lahm

Cahill Lampard Ribery Malouda

Messi V. Persie Rooney

Subs: Pique, Maicon, Kaka, Sneijder, Ronaldo

That is nearly indentical to my team.

Dont really like the subs rule...would change to the sky sports game but have setup a league already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

That is nearly indentical to my team.

Dont really like the subs rule...would change to the sky sports game but have setup a league already!

The sky sports one is fairly awful though. No budgets at all, just pick the players.

This one would be perfect, but for the crazy subs/capt rule. It changes everything.... possibilities are endless....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

The sky sports one is fairly awful though. No budgets at all, just pick the players.

This one would be perfect, but for the crazy subs/capt rule. It changes everything.... possibilities are endless....

I agree, joined the Sky Sports one. Pretty poor alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

"Get Defoe Kuyt" take up their position as whipping boys in the UEFA/McD league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

With this substitution rule is it a good idea to try and get as much talent throughout the team? I'm unsure whether to have 5 quality strikers or not. Thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

With this substitution rule is it a good idea to try and get as much talent throughout the team? I'm unsure whether to have 5 quality strikers or not. Thoughts?

I'm leaning towards this policy, also considering lots of cheap defenders and goalkeepers and just keep swapping out those who don't keep clean sheets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Gone for a mixture of quality who are pretty likely to do well (the usual suspect) along with some potential break-outs who are cheaper along with a couple of utter bargain basements who I'd be surprised if any of them ended up featuring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Found a class forward that I don't think anyone has picked and he is fairly cheap as well but the fact that no one has picked him makes me worried that he dosn't get his game but I am pretty sure he does :D.

My team is fairly epic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Found a class forward that I don't think anyone has picked and he is fairly cheap as well but the fact that no one has picked him makes me worried that he dosn't get his game but I am pretty sure he does :D.

My team is fairly epic.

Shane Smeltz?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Reganio 2 wrote: »

My team is fairly epic.
    Archimedes wrote: »
    Shane Smeltz?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Just joined the Sky Sports league, Club Level, comes up as pending members, whats the story with that, do you need to be approved?

Frisbee wrote: »
    :pac:

8 goals in 5 qualifying matches isn't too shabby at all, especially considering how cheap he is on the Fantasy Football. Got the winner over Serbia recently too!

8 goals in 5 qualifying matches isn't too shabby at all, especially considering how cheap he is on the Fantasy Football. Got the winner over Serbia recently too!

He's decent for NZ's level alright where they play tiny teams in qualifying, I wouldn't call him a 'class forward' though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Right now to start work on the Mc D's league, this one looks tougher than the sky sports one.

Frisbee wrote: »
    He's decent for NZ's level alright where they play tiny teams in qualifying, I wouldn't call him a 'class forward' though.

I was focusing on the "fairly cheap" part, but I guess Smeltz qualifies more as "dirt cheap" :pac:

If I could access the site in work I'd do up a fantastically awesome team in regards of money and timetables.

This sub rule where you can move people around day to day is handy, and I reckon if someone wants to win it they're going to have to plan they're team accordingly on who is playing when as well as making sure they can log on every day to make adjustments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Starting 11:

Buffon

---Maicon
    Gallas
    Lahm

Gourcuff----Sneijder---Xavi----Schweinsteiger

V.Persie----Rooney----D.Villa

Subs:- (May bring in Before matches start)

Vidic
    Kaer
    Lampard
    Simao
    Fabiano

few others that wont see a sniff of the starting team!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Pure_Cork

few others that wont see a sniff of the starting team!

I have Kim Myong-Won as my third choice keeper...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Irish Times has started a fantasy league too: http://irishtimes.fantasyleague.com/Index.aspx

It's a little bizarre - firstly, there's no value assigned to players and there's no set budget, so you can choose whoever you want for your team. Secondly, you only choose a starting 11 - no substitutes, just enough players to fill a 4-3-3 formation (don't seem to be able to change the formation). These two things combined mean that teams are going to be very similar cos there's no need to stuff the bench with cheaper players - everyone will be going for the strongest 11 possible.

Nonetheless, might be worth a look, especially since there's cash prizes for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I was focusing on the "fairly cheap" part, but I guess Smeltz qualifies more as "dirt cheap" :pac:

David Suazo is cheaper than him.Better player too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Current Team:

Tzvorsas, (Mucha, Bengalio)

Vidic, King, Onyewu, (Chiellini, Agger, 1m, 1m)

Giovani, Sneijder, Maxi, Cahill (Camoranesi, Kaka, Xavi, 1m)

Higuain, Forlan, Rooney (van Persie, Fabiano)

I've gone for a 3-4-3 with plenty of options on the bench to replace those who don't perform in the early games. That seems to be the optimum strategy anyway!

Changed things up a bit when I realised what I could do with the sub rule. Won't get a chance to get on on Saturday so Rooney Captain is the safe bet.

wc.jpg

My squad is finalised :D
    Myteam.jpg

Lads how do I do a screenshot of my squad like that?

• Advertisement

Take a screenshot of it then upload it to a photo sharing site like photobucket.com and then post the link here by clicking on insert image and putting in the url from the photobucket site.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Redzer7 wrote: »

Easiest way:

1. Open up your squad page
    2. Press the 'Print Screen' button on the top right of your keyboard.
    3. Open up MSPaint, right click the white page and click paste
    4. Then just drag the image around and resize the page until you just have your squad on the page :D and save it somewhere, preferably as jpeg
    5. Go to the thread now on boards, click 'manage attachments'
    6. Upload your image, then close the window once its done.
    7. You should have the attachment under the 'manage attachments' button. Open the attachment in a new window/tab. Right click the image that comes up and click 'copy image location'
    8. Hit the image button on your reply, right click and paste between [img][/img], it's the net address for your image you just uploaded
    9. Done :pac:

EDIT: Sorry, just kinda done it the beginners way :)

How do I take the screenshot though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Irish Times also have a fantasy football competition. €3000 for the winner. No transfer fees though or anything.

http://irishtimes.fantasyleague.com/

Its easy,

1) go to the page that you want to take the screenshot of
    2) press the insert button (which is at the top right of you laptop) and the fn button(its at the bottom left on your keyboard) at the same time.
    3) go to Paint which should be in your accessories.
    4) click edit and paste and the screenshot should come up, then crop your picture, crop is an option in Paint
    5) click file and then save .

• Advertisement

Easiest way:

1. Open up your squad page
    2. Press the 'Print Screen' button on the top right of your keyboard.
    3. Open up MSPaint, right click the white page and click paste
    4. Then just drag the image around and resize the page until you just have your squad on the page :D and save it somewhere, preferably as jpeg
    5. Go to the thread now on boards, click 'manage attachments'
    6. Upload your image, then close the window once its done.
    7. You should have the attachment under the 'manage attachments' button. Open the attachment in a new window/tab. Right click the image that comes up and click 'copy image location'
    8. Hit the image button on your reply, right click and paste between [img][/img], it's the net address for your image you just uploaded
    9. Done :pac:

EDIT: Sorry, just kinda done it the beginners way :)

lol u beat me to it

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

you got the laptop keys there though. all bases covered :D

How do I take the screenshot though?

Press Print Screen on the keyboard, top right if its a pc above the number pad.

Thanks all round :D Cheers lads.

Here is the team, is the setup alright? Substitutions etc? Suggestions?

116545.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭postalservice

Thanks all round :D Cheers lads.

Here is the team, is the setup alright? Substitutions etc? Suggestions?

116545.jpg

Prob one of best teams I've seen so far...not in terms of players chosen (toure and gerrard etc) but just high quality replacements

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Here's my team. Thanks for the help with he screenshot lads, I was too lazy to list all my players and this is easier.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=116546&stc=1&d=1276193624

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

Right lads this looks way more complicated then the premier league one. Would i be right in saying that im better off picking players who are playing in the first 2 days? If they dont score well i can sub others players in that are playing on sun and mon in the hope that they will score more points or have i got it completely wrong??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

1 point for winning the ball back? Im putting Mascherano in so....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

hitman79 wrote: »
    Right lads this looks way more complicated then the premier league one. Would i be right in saying that im better off picking players who are playing in the first 2 days? If they dont score well i can sub others players in that are playing on sun and mon in the hope that they will score more points or have i got it completely wrong??
    Nope, that seems to be the gist of it. If you sub a player out though, those points are gone - you can't bring him back in in the same round.

What I'd be interested to know is, say you sub out a player mid-round because he does feck all, what happens if the player you bring in doesn't play? Does the original player come back in, or is it someone else from your bench??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

What the hell are so many people picking Simao for? One of the all-time disappointments at international level.

Ha Ha. made you change your team

• Advertisement
Advertisement